Node.js

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SushiKey, Jul 27, 2017.

1. SushiKey Destiny Islands Resident

Anyone used this platform? It's a program based on Chrome's V8 engine (the inner part of Chrome that processes JavaScript) that allows you to do various things with JavaScript, including run servers and make full-on programs.

I'm really interested into using this but I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on it. Here's a link if you don't know anything about it:
    http://nodejs.org

2. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

I've used it before in a few freelance jobs and it's a definitely a nice platform to use if you're already familiar with Javascript. You can just hit the ground running and not have to worry about learning the intricacies of another programming language. It's good for beginners as well since Javascript is a fairly easy language to get started with. You end up killing two birds with one stone because the knowledge of the language that you'll gain developing things on the backend can be reused if you ever decide that you want to do frontend work.

But what exactly do you want to do with Node.js? If you're looking to get into web development, then it's not a bad place to start. The community around the language and the majority of the libraries currently developed will definitely help you in that area. If you're looking to get into another domain though, then I would suggest other languages. Programming languages are very much like tools. While you can get most things done using just one language, there isn't one perfect language that solves all problems efficiently and effectively. Some problems can be solved more easily and sometimes with even better results in other languages due to the way they've been built.

3. SushiKey Destiny Islands Resident

I dunno, I just want to get started off with JavaScript. I took an intro to coding class and we worked with JavaScript, which was really fun to do. Figured that'd be a good starting point.

Web development sounds like something I'd so, so let's go with that. :