Ninth Grader Arrested for Building a Clock

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Meilin Lee, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

So a 14 year old kid in Texas decided to build a clock to impress his engineering teacher. Instead of getting praised, the boy was accused of building a bomb, and was arrested by police:

[​IMG]
    Source

What's more is the principal didn't even bother apologizing.

Really America? Are we now targeting bright young minds just because they're brown or have a name like 'Ahmed'??

2. Patman Bof

- When I grow up I want to be the first person in human history to teleport himself.
    - I' m sorry what ?
    - It' s already possible to transport quantum information from a location to another. Right now there are super computers that can transport quantum information to space, so why not send people to space ?
    - Well uh ... even if you could build this thing, which you can' t ...
    - I' ve already built it. Well ... I' m building it. In my garage.
    - Is it next to your flying car ?
    - I' m not working on that anymore. Just this now. I call it the biomatter shuttle.
    - Biomatter ...
    - Technically I' m shuttling matter from one place to another. Well, first matter. But once I test biological matter I can ...
    - Well uh ... thank you Mr Richards this is all very interesting, but the assignment was to pick a real career in the real world.

3. Laurence_Fox Chaser

That is precisely what is happening. White America has always been wary of those that are different than them in some way. Even those that look the same on the surface.

But the same thing has happened in many other locations throughout history.

4. Hayabusa Venomous

I'm annoyed but not that surprised to be honest. Just hearing some comments from the Republican Debate paints a very clear picture of who so many people oppose in this country.

5. 61 No. B

reaction was understood, clock looks exceedingly suspicious, but no action should have been taken after it was discovered it was just a clock. that people are rallying behind him in support and he's being invited to the most important house on the planet is so indicative of how horrendously trepidatious and overly-apologetic people are with regards to potentially offending anyone and it is disgusting. school should have apologized and left it at that. no suspension. no arrest. no glamour.

6. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Ahmed was repeatedly denied access to legal consul or to his parents, something that is clearly illegal in Texas or frankly anywhere in the United States. Your Miranda rights, which are told to you upon being arrested, will tell you '...You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be provided to you...' and so on and so forth.

Ahmed was not given that right or the right to see his parents. And according to Section 52.025 of the Texas Family Code, that is illegal.

When the police chief was asked why Ahmed had not seen his parents until he was released, he said that he did 'not have answers to [that] specific question'.

[ sauce ]