New York Carriage Rides

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Sara, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Sara Tea Drinker

Alright, I've been in a heated argument with several people about this issue, and I'm curious.

Do you think the horse and carriage rides in New York City are abuse or not?

It's a very heated debate that's been going on for several years now: One side saying that the horses are treated fantastically and get time off up North during the year and the stable's conditions aren't as bad as people say. To it's completely inhumane and horses should never live in the city, even for a few months in converted apartment buildings going on pavement and/or breathing fumes.

A good point for carriage rides is a youtube channel called: StopLiesSeeTruth which is videotaped by a carriage driver who owns three horses.

The counterpoint is the Humane Society and most likely other channels easily found on Youtube if anyone wants a reference.

I personally have ridden for several years. I don't claim to be an expert on horses, but have worked around them and have also volunteered at even therapeutic stables and watched videos of horse trainers. After seeing both sides, I would have to say those horses, despite being in converted apartments for six weeks each rotation, live a great life.

The stalls are made out of wood on the bottom half and iron bars on the top so horses can socialize without fighting. There's mister fans used for the summer and the horses have windows on three sides of the building with plenty of natural light and artificial light. The barns are inspected by the city and state of New York along with the ASPCA. There's tons of hay and straw and the stalls are big enough for the horses to turn around and lay down in.

The horses also go to the park where by law there's a trough for them to get water, which they have to do twice per shift. They also have water under the carriage along with grain for food and water source. The horses work at the most about eight hours and they doze at the stables and waiting for customers. It seems like a great business and I hope it continues.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Definitely not abuse in my book.

They get food, water and other life needs, so I don't see how some would even consider it abuse.

3. Sara Tea Drinker

Like I said, they see the horses going to the parks. (about two blocks away) and consider it abuse. That and I think they reference other cities, like Quebec where I saw with my own eyes how horribly the horses are treated and abused and probably associate that with the horses in New York City. Another is that once in a while there is an accident. Which happens, can happen to any horse in any place. Whether it's a barn, pasture or city. Horses spook and take off, it's their instinct, when in a blind panic, they will crash into things without seeing it. Hell, there are horses that slip and fall in pasture, shatter their legs and are put down at sight. It's life.

There's also ones who reference that the concrete is bad for them. Which might be true, but they're specially shod for pavement. The farrier who does the carriage horses works with the mounted police horses shoes in New York also. One video brought up "very flammable and dangerous" hay is in the same place as horses. Anyone who knows about hay knows it's not flammable unless a spark is lit or it's moldy. (Which makes it combustible and can and will start a fire if not found and removed instantly.) And that most barns, if not all have hay in the same barn as the horses for easy access amongst other things.