No Thanks New Members/Rules

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Laurence_Fox, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    New people are classed into two groups here

Noobs and Newbs

Newbs are the folk who would've read the rules, who do post an intro post first, who will learn from the veterans and become better over time on their own, which is what we strive for, self improvement without outside help

Noobs don't really care, they're here to post and god damn they'll do it in any fashion they want, they wont read the rules or the guide so both are meaningless to them, some might turn out good after awhile, though most suffer from their idiocy of not paying attention and me call them banned members.

Simple as.

2. Repliku Chaser

Really, as I've seen, most people get 3 warnings and are then given a temp ban in most cases if it is for something like this. Also, they DO have rules sections in quite a few forums, let alone the area dedicated to them and if they don't read them, and cannot take the warnings well...what's the problem with banning them or they leave?

Also, rep is not something that the admins and mods are doing to people. Heck, I have yet to derep someone either and could care less to. The point is that rep is uncontrolled but if anyone feels they were wronged all they have to do is message one of the admins to check it out. If the rules were read, this would be known too.

So in seriousness, there already is a fair amount of attention that goes to 'training' a person who wants to act silly so he/she knows what is too ridiculous to accept. Some of this is also 'commonsense' so maybe I'm among the few that sees it in a way that they get more than enough leeway to adapt or go. I don't mind new people and think it's great to have new people coming along. However, if someone is going to act the part of a n00b, well they just aren't being very considerate of others at all by not reading the rules and not asking or listening to warnings. New people = great. n00bs = annoying. If n00bs take off, ta ta for now.

3. P Banned

You make it sound so clear cut, Repliku. The only problem is that n00bs came onto the forum to post, but have no idea there is something called netiquette. N00bs are still human, not bots, nor necessarily trolls. They still can be brought over to the good side. The thing is, it is so damn hard to do.

From what I have seen, n00bs post three bad things, then go AFK. They come back to find themselves banned/flammed.

4. Repliku Chaser

Well, I guess then that if you want to try to convert a noob to not being such a dork, then by all means try to get them before their time is up. As I said, they do get warnings and such and there is time to act if caught. However, I don't think rules can be modified for them anymore than for anyone else. Perhaps though if someone says 'here's the rules link' and gives it to them, it might deter a couple out of many. Many n00bs don't care.

5. P Banned

But a rules link does little. I really think a guide about how to behave would be better. No one reads rules, because they are just rules. Guidelines are suggestions, and people prefer them.

What about those who do not know about netiquette?

6. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

Automatic rules

Everyone is always going on about how noobs don't follow the rules.I think the in the first time
    a person logs in thast they are automatically directed to the rules section with a small note saying;
    Please read these rules before you enter the other parts of the Forum.
    Or an Auto PM saying the very same thing instead.What do you guys think.

7. Hubba-Bubba-Bubbles Hollow Bastion Committee

i like this idea but what if they still don't read them

8. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

We could make it compulsory to read the rules before entering the forum.

9. Hubba-Bubba-Bubbles Hollow Bastion Committee

oh that would work well then i agree on this suggestion

10. Dredica SNES was the best.

But, click on it, don't read it, enter forum.

11. Hubba-Bubba-Bubbles Hollow Bastion Committee

that is true but it's still a pretty good idea beacuae some of them might read it and others won't

12. Jiηx You're such a loser.

This has been suggested countless times, the matter of the fact is, some people just wont read them, and those who will would've went to find the rules on their own, so there's no point.

13. Repliku Chaser

I am confused by what you mean. Maybe some elaboration to explain 'why' the rules exist could be done but a whole guide to making a n00b become a new person people will like because suddenly they use commonsense and show some sign of social skills...most n00bs don't want to learn that or they are just playing around and don't care. They aren't that new to the internet itself if they actually found us and could sign on the forums in the first place. Also, normally after someone is warned, isn't that a good indication that the person needs to shape up?

14. Fallout Gummi Ship Junkie

You just totally, in that post, bashed your idea. No one reads guides to being better, because they're just guides.

I understand your intentions. They're great, but no one would look at the guide. Srry. =[

15. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

You know what? I am going to be very blunt here, this thread pisses me off no end.

How intimidating do you think it would be for people to join up, possibly to their first forum, and be hit by a guide "lol this is because we expect you to **** up".

This place is meant to be friendly, not a boot camp. So what if people use a lot of smilies? It doesn't hurt anyone, so what if some people have a lower ability in spelling, some people have trouble with that.

As long as people aren't offensive or don't blatantly disregard the rules then leave them be.

Who are we to decide who is a noob and who is a worthy member? I will not watch this forum sink into elitist bullshit like a million other sites. Members are members, none are higher or more superior than others. Hell a lot of the higher up members still haven't read the rules.

Unless a "noob" is causing serious damage, then I see no problem.

I commend your intentions and your ideas, but I don't agree.

16. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

Sorry Pika but i've Got to agree with my attractive friend here.We aren't
    KHInsider who intimidate all the noobs.One of the Main reasons i'm on here
    is because i know their are nice people like CtR to Cheer me up when i'm at
    my lowest moments.People that will listen to problems and help you fix them
    and you in return help them back.This is one time i'm not agreeing with you Pika.

17. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Reposting this here, but instead of trying to force the rules, how about watching the first few posts?

I may have mentioned something like this in the past (cant remember), but another forum I go to has this policy where, as a newbie, your first 10 posts have to be approved by an admin or a moderator. This is to see that you can actually follow the rules without causing trouble.

I don't know how this would work here, never mind whether Neku or any of the the other admins will be able to enforce this, but that way if the post is irrelevant to the topic, spammy, or advertising, the mod chooses not to have it appear on the thread. There's no flaming, the newbie learns if a note is written as to why the post(s) weren't allowed, and if it appears that this person will be a problem, then they can get banned.

Too harsh?

18. Jiηx You're such a loser.

This is what i've been trying to say D: god damn you people, you only listen to her because she's godessly attractive >.>

19. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

I agree with you the most CTR. I wouldn't want to scare away all of the nice people. I mean, eventually they will learn to type good. I even was bad at first but I got better as I learned more from other members. Especially putting and spell checking to see if I spelt "the" wrong. I used to put "teh" all the time before I had gotten the proper etiquette. So please, could this be closed since the suggestion has been declined and given a reasonably good answer to not be taken?

20. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Are you aware how many new members we get? Not to mention the fact that some people don't post at first, they could be a member for like a months before they start posting, I would have hoped that most people know how to act after that long.

Look, the way I see it is, why make EVERYONE suffer and subject EVERYONE to guidelines and strict regiment style introduction, how about we play it how it already is.

If there is a problem, the staff will deal with it, oddly enough guys we do know how to do our job. If you feel someone is a seriously life threatening noob then PM one of us or something, but I am not going to put my backing behind an idea that is so degrading to new members, ecause that is what it is. DEGRADING.

Give people a chance, remember newb =/= noob, not every new person is a noob, likewise not every noob is new.

I say no.

Beat <333

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.