Support Netgear N300 wireless router Q's and setup.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Shuhbooty, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Shuhbooty moon child

Bakground to main issue:
    Ok, so we got our internet set up yesterday. And it took all day (because the guy left w/o saying something. Then said he marked it as completed so it was a long process).
    He comes in- sets up the main router right next to our main tv right, my parents are refusing to move the set up (because the guy gave my parents the wrong information and would rather trust an idiot that couldn't red a clip board then me). I'm using a 2008 laptop and super laggy and I hate it and I need to go back to my desktop (this bby is done for, ily my lil acer)

Issue: I threw away the set up guide or lost it while I moved. I'm googling how to reset it back up and I'm having trouble getting what I need. I reset the wireless router to factory settings. Now I need to set it up. This is what I found. However I an't seem to find the answer to this question. Does this router have to be 24/7 hooked up to the main modem that is already a wireless router? (my plan is to connect this WR move it upstairs to my desktop and just use it as a secondary router.

B) If I can't move the WR upstairs because it has to be connect to the main modem, I'll need to switch gears. Can I just connect something to the phone jack to my computer? What would you suggest to help fix this? We had a wifi extender, which is what I use to use before we moved. It is now MIA (I think a mover stole it, or my sisters did out of spit of me. And now we are having issues to even talk about getting a new one. Because it was a $200 extender. And my parents want me to buy it, and I'm not working yet and school starts in less then a month for me)

Any solutions to my stupid problem would be awesome. Thanks team.

2. Misty gimme kiss

Yes, your main router needs to stay connected to the modem. The modem takes the connection from the cable company and (typically) converts it to Ethernet, which the router can then connect to and service your devices.

If you have a spare router that you want to use as a wireless repeater (take the wireless signal and extend it to areas of the house that the router may not reach), you can check and see if there is a setting within it to do so. I wouldn't recommend running two separate networks within your house unless you have a specific need for it. One router plus a repeater should serve you fine.

Also $200 is crazy for a repeater. You can get one for much, much less than that.

3. Shuhbooty moon child

I figured two networks would be a problem. :/ Ok that sucks. I didn't purse reconnecting the router to the current setup, I wanted to make sure I could take it upstairs. /sobs

Yeah it extends up to 50 feet. My mom got it at walmart for like $180 bucks (so she claims). It's really cool however if there is sheitty net to begin with, the extender is like x2 shietter.

4. Misty gimme kiss

It's not necessarily a problem but it can cause some headaches. But you can, like I said, try to use that second router as a repeater.