Net Neutrality Fears

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by 61, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Stumbled across this in the article, and this is really important. From where I'm standing this is the federal court trying to give us an in - to say that no, the FCC doesn't have the right to enforce fair and unbiased delivery of internet traffic, but people have the right to know what ISPs are doing, and to be upset and demand better service.

And as I read on, I see this...

I can totally understand the court's ruling, and I don't think they are purely to blame for this. If the FCC's policies rang questionable, they should be made to revise. And they are doing that. There's still a chance to appeal, and if the proposal was rejected only on these grounds and the FCC is able to fix what's broken, it sounds like the courts will be on their side. In other words, this isn't over. It's never over.

I think it is a little different due to the differences between data and radio waves - One's easier to transmit, and so limits feel more superficial. It's also a slippery slope deal: If one company is allowed to get away with these arbitrary restrictions, others will be tempted. It's about what people will tolerate. And as a rule, we tend to be apathetic and submissive, so it's always frightening when no restrictions are imposed upon practices like this.

3. Sara Tea Drinker

Well... This is nice...

I've been charged double of my real rate for the last six months or so. >< The Internet company I have has doubled it steadily, but they shouldn't have because I have the same Internet as I did six months ago and I never asked for a speedier Internet. Only found out when I asked for a new deal. I can see this happening a lot more with this passed.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero