Nintendo My Nintendo Story (NES 30th Anniversary)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hiro ✩, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I know the anniversary was yesterday, but the NES was such a huge revolution in the lives of many and in the gaming industry itself, so I thought it a crime that there was no thread for this.

I'll be honest, I'm not old enough to have had a NES when I was growing up. I played one, but I never owned one because honestly, my family wasn't in the most amazing situation. My parents lived in another state making money to raise me (I wasn't necessarily planned and my grandma frankly didn't have the money to help them out as much as she'd have liked).

Anyway, I still had the joys of gaming. I did start out playing the NES. I remember playing Mario and Zelda a little bit, but it wasn't ever enough to make a huge impression on me. It wasn't until my uncle got a SNES that I truly got into gaming as a hobby. I remember he brought home A Link to the Past and Street Fighter Alpha 2. It was amazing, honestly. A Link to the Past was like... The original Zelda, but better. And Street Fighter was... Well, cool, but I wasn't amazing at it. I knew how to punch and kick, and that was all.

When my parents came to get me, I was sad I'd have to give up gaming as they had the money to keep me with them, but not enough to give me a PS1, the hottest thing on the market. It took three years, but eventually my dad bought me my Game Boy Advance with the Legacy of Goku, because I adored Dragon Ball Z. I was always trash at that game, and I never really experienced it as my dad would always try to beat Raditz in the first boss fight. After that my uncle came to live with us and I was graced with a PlayStation 2.

As time went on, my collection grew. I started getting into Sonic and I got a few of the old Pokémon games (Blue and Yellow AND Red), but I was never amazing at them or anything.

I eventually got A Link to the Past for the GBA and DBZ Buu's Fury and oh my god I loved that stuff. My childhood game again. Along that I was starting to play Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcomin the arcades and loving that.

I didn't game devoutly much more for a while. I did have an original DS but it got stolen from me in 5th Grade. After that... I just stopped. I had a little sister now and we couldn't afford to stay current.

On my 17th birthday, I was graced with a Nintendo 3DS and I haven't looked back since.

I was able to get a job and feed my gaming habit, so I've been more current with everything. I managed to get a New Nintendo 3DS XL and I LOVE playing Smash. A Link Between Worlds was a love letter to me, because it's been 16 years and I still love A Link to the Past so revisiting it was glorious.

And now here I am, awaiting Triforce Heroes, and the future of Nintendo and gaming in general.

Thanks Nintendo, for such an awesome lifestyle you've helped me get into. I wouldn't be myself without you, and I wouldn't have it any other way.