Monty Oum, RoosterTeeth animator, hospitalized

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by . : tale_wind, Jan 30, 2015.

1. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Sara brought this up in the RWBY thread, but I figured since not everyone who likes RoosterTeeth likes RWBY, I'd make a new thread about it.

Monty was hospitalized today, and is in critical care. It's currently not clear if he'll make a full recovery.

A GoFundMe has been set up to help with hospital fees and family support and such here. Read RoosterTeeth's post on the matter here.

2. Sara Tea Drinker

Thanks for posting it here, I wasn't sure if i should have. =3

My hopes and prayers for his recovery. His hospital bills are estimated at 50K. Please donate if you can.

EDIT: In 4 hours they made 70K to help the family and the bills, an incredible moment for a tight-knit community. :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Stupid question, I know, but who is Monty Oum and what is RoosterTeeth?

4. Sara Tea Drinker

Roosterteeth is a website that makes films about different things. Usually they use the employees/owner in several different videos, but they also do Machinma and a CGI series. They started with a series called Red vs Blue that was Machinma, basically using the Halo engine multiplayer to film the series with characters they voiced themselves. When it got massively popular (It's still running and has broken several records for an Internet series.) and they could afford it, they hired Monty to do their CGI. He did a fantastic job on it until he went off to start RWBY, which is what he works on now. Which is all CGI and his brainchild from what I hear.

He's a fantastic CGI artist and has a ton of other different talents when it comes to entertainment. He's really well-known in the Roosterteeth community. He also did the majority of the CGI for Roosterteeth doing two of it's largest (so far) seasons of one of their most popular shows, including recording people doing the actions to convert it, directing the people to make sure it's exactly how he wanted it, etc... Basically without him, CGI would never have reached RT and neither would RWBY.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Before he started with RoosterTeeth, he was well-known for his YouTube animation "Dead Fantasy," a series of ridiculously elaborate over-the-top fight sequences between characters from Dead and Alive and Final Fantasy, later adding characters from Ninja Gaiden and Kingdom Hearts.

6. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

[​IMG]

7. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Tragedy has struck the world...

8. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

[​IMG]
    A truly wonderful human being has been lost. He knew so much about life because he's been through so much. He kept telling others to push on, inspiring others to start their goals now instead of later. Now he's gone.
    Monty Oum will be missed.

9. Sara Tea Drinker

I ask for a moment of silence from the fans of RT who has seen Monty's work.

He was an extremely talented CGI artist who paved the way for a lot of what happened this season for Red vs Blue. Not including what he's done with RWBY and the machinma community. Hell, one of my closest friends is from a link that Monty posted on RT's website saying she was a talented artist. I hope he's resting in peace, and my thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

*pulls hat off and bows head in silence*

10. burnitup Still the Best 1973

This is horribly tragic news. I'm not even sure what to really say anymore. I've been a fan of Monty's work for years and now he's just... gone. It's almost too hard to believe. I can take solace in the fact that they raised enough money from the fundraiser for Monty's family at least. We'll all miss you, Monty.
    [​IMG]

11. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Most talented person on the internet was taken from us all unexpectedly.

I never had a chance to meet him, but he inspired me quite a bit with how he managed to stay calm and collected but always be hard working and driven.

I keep almost crying and don't really understand why, but I'm going to go back to mourning. Before I do though, this was posted by Miles Luna on Twitter- it's one of the first scenes to show what Monty joining RoosterTeeth could do. Made me smile.

Thanks for Haloid, Dead Fantasy, the Afro Samurai game, RVB: Project Freelancer, and all of RWBY. Just... thanks.

12. Sebax Avatar by Xerona

"As for honoring Monty, we will do that in our own way. In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to."

"Simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can."

Well, I suppose I could start writing again. Lack of audience be damned; just as soon as I get rid of these blasted ninja onions. You never know when you're time is up, and for what reason it will be. I never knew of Monty Oum, nor much of Rooster Teeth except for friends talking about it every now and again; but how much his work touched people speaks for itself. RWBY seems to be the work of an artistic genius, from the bits I've seen of it. It's a tragedy that such a mind was lost so easily.

13. Sara Tea Drinker

I really didn't even get into RT or Red vs Blue until my friend showed me season 8 episode 10. He just came on one day and was like: "Hey, watch this..." And I was floored, it was my first intro to Red vs Blue and the comedy and action blew me away. There have been many moments that are much more amazing than that first episode I watched from Monty and RT, but it is always the one that I hold closest for bringing me into the series and making me a huge fan.

If it wasn't for Monty's work, I'd probably still think that Red vs Blue was a serious war story that I wouldn't enjoy. Thanks, Monty...

14. burnitup Still the Best 1973

For those who didn't see it yesterday, here is the Monty dedicated podcast RoosterTeeth did:

15. parabola Destiny Islands Resident

I just broke down crying at the end of the stream. I think it was good, all things considered. Too often we focus on "healing" and "moving on" in the immediate wake of a tragedy. While I know that Monty was a workhorse and someone who valued living life to the fullest, I appreciate how everyone has taken the time to truly mourn his passing. That said, next week (while certainly still in the process of mourning), I'm confident that those in the RT community and even those beyond it will strive to work harder than ever and fulfill Monty's challenge: "Can you match my resolve? If so, then you will succeed."

16. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

[​IMG]

"Keep moving forward!"

Someone shared this with that quote as a caption, and I wanted to share it with you guys.

17. SoulboundAlchemist Gummi Ship Junkie

I can't believe that Monty has passed on... I did a cover of the first opening for RWBY in his memory, I just wanted to share it here...