Mom Reacts to Coming Out

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Mike, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Mike Chaser

I've made a few posts on here about my coming out process. As you some of you may know, I'm trying to help others by sharing stories and creating videos that could affect others in a positive way.

I recently uploaded this video with my mother. I told her about my sexuality back in 2012, but this was the first time we sat in front of the camera and spoke to the YouTube community about it.

2. Patman Bof

My sisters and I were very lucky, when we were teenagers our parents told us that if we were or would later turn out to be homosexual it wouldn' t be a problem at all. So it was really no biggie for my youngest sis to come out a few years later. When she told me it left me completely stoic, she might as well have told me "I love ice creams".

Our parents also told us about that client they had who wasn' t a man anymore. They said that okay, not gonna lie, it sounds weird as ****, but if it was to happen to us they' d deal with it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Your mother is very sweet. I know that you mentioned in one of your threads from a long time ago regarding this that she said some very hurtful things, but after watching this, it doesn't look like it was so much to hurt you--or intentional, for that matter--it just took her on my surprise and just didn't really know what to say.

The only part I'd disagree with is that you don't have a choice. I think you do, at least to an extent, because sexuality is fluid and is on a spectrum (and I know my friend and @Misty look at it this way as well). I mentioned this in another thread, but nobody is 100% of any sexuality, but there are preferences that you're dominant in. For example, I'm straight, but perhaps I have, say, 2% gay in me.

In simpler terms, if Male A is straight and ran into a situation where he found another male--Male B--attractive, like a man crush sort of, regardless of whether Male B was straight or gay (or whatever else), if Male B offered sex to Male A, Male A would make an exception. However, Male A is otherwise straight and has sex with females.

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

That's a really good thing you are doing Mike, I haven't had loads of experience in this area but one of my best friends came out to me, I was more shocked about how out of the blue it was rather than the fact she was bisexual (I felt bad though as my shock was interpreted as dislike).

One of my other friends started dating a girl and I don't even remember how I reacted so it couldn't have been much of a significant reaction.

I always feel like if my children ever come out to me, I would like to react by congratulating them for having the courage and then asking them what they want for tea. Surely, it should be no big deal for someone to come out, I always thought it should be treated no differently to heterosexuality but can't have everything, it is still a struggle as it's a stigmatised group STILL so coming out still remains a hard process.

5. Patman Bof

Why the hell do you think my parents did what they did ? If I have kids someday I' ll do the same. It' s no wonder they think it might be a problem if it never ever gets talked about. In the family I mean, not on TV or in sex ed. When my sis came out to me it was a slip up actually, then she realized I was the last one in the family who still didn' t know.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015