Missouri's right to pray amedment allows students to not do work because of beliefs.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Roaringflames, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Roaringflames Merlin's Housekeeper

Source:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/missouri-right-to-pray-am_n_1757665.html

2. jafar custom title

Well, this is just plain silly. Religious beliefs is a loophole that shouldn't be exposed, but they did it anyways. Huge mistake. I think there should be extended time if a person cannot complete an assignment because of religious requirements, but avoiding it entirely should not be an option.

3. Droid Hollow Bastion Committee

I don't think that's the issue, although I guess it could be in some religions. The issues would be in the case stated in the OP where they had to sign and write letters to the state legislative on advocating gay adoption. Regardless of what anyone else's stance on that is(including my own, which is for it), the student's beliefs may be against that and they shouldn't be forced to do it. That would be same with any social issues, at the very least they should have the option to voice their counter opinion.
    On the case of evolution vs creationism, no, religious beliefs shouldn't matter in that case. What they should do is teach an equal perspective on all the different ways life is thought to have started. Whether that be creationism, big bang, evolution, the mix between the two, etc.