Support Solved Microsoft Security Essentials Scan Gets Stuck

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

As title.

It only started last week. If I cancel it, it keeps scanning, but the Cancel Scan button is grayed out and, while I don't have to do this, the only way to fully return it to its non-scanning state/icon is to restart the computer. I suspect it actually does cancel, it just doesn't show it.

I have it set to scan on Wednesday, and the last successful scan was on August 19. The only solution I can think of is to switch it to Quick Scan from Full Scan, but is that as efficient?

It's kind of sad, in a way, as both times it happened, it was close to the end. In fact, looking at the screenshot below, that was the same exact spot it got stuck at last time, so I suspect that's more the issue than the time that has elapsed.

Scan.PNG

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Guess I'll take up my mom's offer to have her help me switch to Charter Security Suite tonight, because I don't know what the ****ing problem is. It got further this time, but now it's stuck again, and this wasn't a problem before!

MSE.PNG

In the grand scheme of things, it's not too big of a deal, because I've never gotten a virus, but it's annoying!

Alternatively, perhaps the built-in Windows Defender, what I now use on laptop, is good enough.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  3. Amaury Legendary Hero

This can be locked. Still not sure what the problem was (if anyone has any knowledge, please post it), but my mom helped me move to Charter Security Suite that same day.