Mexican Swine Flu Virus could become Pandemic

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Patsy Stone, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Pezz Kingdom Keeper

lolz. Funny. It just so happens that I may have been exposed today. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see. My only concern is that if I get sick now, then I'll never be able to finish my school projects.

:p

2. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

Well i hope that you don't get sick and die.....and on the topic of vaccine, why don't we have people being quarantined, because if our govenrments don't act soon, we will have a pandemic on our hands.....

3. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

Sigh, obviously people are choosing to ignore me, and would rather freak out instead.

Well, if you all wanna stress yourselves out, then go right ahead. But I'm telling you guys, this is seriously NOTHING to panic about right now. Please don't freak out. Read my previous posts.

Everyone just stay caaaaaalm~

4. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Well I live close to Juarez where some people have died. They even stopped school there for awhile. Right now i'm feeling really sick and last week I thought I had the flu. There were also kids at my school who were wearing surgical masks though, i lol'd.

5. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

If you're feeling sick, and you live that close to Juarez, then you need to go to the doctor. I mean, this is nothing to freak out about, but it's nothing to take lightly either. As long as you take care of yourself and get the proper treatment, you should be fine.

6. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

Right now i have the Flu and i have been to the Doctor...so that is why i am freaking out....

7. Pezz Kingdom Keeper

I'm not going to die. You guys shouldn't really be too afraid. The Media likes to milk these sort of things for all it's worth. They try to scare you to get you to keep watching. It makes their ratings go up. Yes people have died, but according to recent statistics, the chance of death is less than ten percent.
    Another thing that the media likes to do is word the statistics in such a way that it makes things sound worse than it is. Just keep living your life. don't worry yourself too much over this.

8. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

Exactly. The media hypes it up because people eat up this kind of thing. We are all fascinated by the macabre; we just can't get enough of it. So they make it seem bigger than it really is, which then causes everyone to freak out about something they later realize was never that big of a deal (Ex: The Bird Flu).

Yes, people have died. But there really haven't been that many deaths, and I don't think anyone has died in the US. Like Pezz said, the chance of death is extremely low.

But of course, don't ignore symptoms if you get them. That would be stupid.

9. Rayku Kingdom Keeper

Well, in NYC there is about 9 cases of the Swine Flu very close by to us, and a lot of people are getting scared. They have already started closing schools down in the area that they found who had it also D :

10. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

None of our schools are closing yet we raise a lot of pigs....wierd

11. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

BREAKING NEWS

A child in Texas is the first victim outside of Mexico to die of Swine Flu. Federal health officials had been warning that they expected deaths to occur in the US from the new flu.

BBC Link

The reason this is so late is because my school decided to block KHV when I noticed this news >_>

12. Juicy Chaser

@ above news- My Geography teacher read this on the BBC website today, and she went into a ridiculous mood and threatened detention if we sneezed or coughed. Ridiculous :v The amounts some people worry is outrageous. If a pandemic does occur, it'll be half-created by our own anxiety, I swear. >>

People my age are kind of considering it a bit like a joke, which is terrible, I guess. Then again, I can't help but laugh at people at school who wear masks when we're thousands of miles away from Mexico and the only cases in the UK have been in Scotland ._.

13. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I saw that this morning. 23-month old died from swine flu. Said he was from Houston.

There's also at least two confirmed cases in my state right now, and they're both a half hour from my hometown. Now that scares me, because while everyone's looking at Mexico, there's two cases in Massachusetts right now.

EDIT: Just turned on the news to see that two more cases have been confirmed in my state for a total of four. Looks like an 8 and a 10 year old.

14. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

We now have one case confirmed in the city closest to me, and another potential in the city second closest to me.

Both kids.

15. saix551 Kingdom Keeper

The first person died in america.. today.. April 29th, sometime this morning.. it was a 2 year old baby... it's parent's drove here from mexico to get to a good hospital... it makes me sick.. how come it's mostly affecting children?

16. TheVader74 Gummi Ship Junkie

While I don't wish to downplay the fact that this is terrible, only 150 people (to my nearest recollection) thus far have died due to this Swine Flu. I do wish the Media wouldn't overhype stuff like this, like they did with the Bird Flu. I'm not saying it shouldn't be recognized, but not immediatly declared a pandemic. While my thoughts go to those lost to this, I do feel like too many people are overreacting.

BTW, just to report, We've had no reported cases of this in the UK yet, nor in any part of Europe, to my best recalling.

There are only two things that get me about this. the majority of the children (out of the small number of total contractors) that have caught this, probably due to a still developing immune system. That, and a comment my friend has made about it, which concerns me as I can't tell if he seriously beleives it...

17. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Umm, there have been 5 confirmed cases in the UK alone, with another dozen or more unconfirmed cases. The number of confirmed cases in Europe is as follows:

• Spain - 10
    • Germany - 2
    • Austria - 1

Australia has over 100 suspected cases.

Also, the people who are most susceptible are those with healthy immune systems. A condition know as a Cytokine Storm where the immune system gets into a positive feedback loop and becomes hyperactive in that area of the body. This can cause damage to tissues as well as severe symptoms, as well as death.

I hate scare-mongering as much as the next person, but it is people ignoring the news and advice because they think that it is just scare-mongering that help it to spread and endanger lives.

18. TheVader74 Gummi Ship Junkie

Well, That shut me up. I never have been a guy to keep up with the news. I just learned today that the VAT rates have changed from 17.5% to 15%. I only said what I last knew about this, so don't hold me responsible. I agree that as long as people aren't stupid about this, we should be fine. there is the phsycological (Sp?) aspect of it, basically "If you think you're gonna get it, you'll feel like you've got it". I doubt this could expand, but there is the issue...

Well, I guess that's all I'll say before I say something else wrong.

19. Alpha Sonix Why so asymmetrical?

Apparently the government in my country said they had enough Tami Flu to help half the population. To be honest, I don't think we'll need that much. No cases in my school yet, though I believe of friend of mines dad's friend seems to be showing some symptoms.

20. Pezz Kingdom Keeper

OMG, you people really need to chill. stop panicking already, lolz