Birth by Sleep Melding System

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts Help' started by jafar, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jafar custom title

So, I am really confused by the melding system in this game. Sometimes, it won't let me select certain things to meld and I don't understand how items come into play. I've used tables and so on, but I still don't really understand what I'm doing.

Can some one break this down for me?

2. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I've got a good spreadsheet on it if you want, but you seem to already have the information on it. Sorry if the following isn't 100% right, I've loaned my copy out and it has been a little while since I played.

Basically, you pick two commands. It will only let you pick one that can be melded with the other. So at first when both are empty the first one can be anything, but the second will gray out anything that simply doesn't work.

Once you've chosen the commands the resulting command is set. Some have a chance of becoming something else, but the item has no influence. To know what makes what you need to either look it up or find the in game recipies. If you don't have the recipe then the result will be displayed as "???"

What the attached item does is it gives that command an ability. There is no in game of knowing what item/meld combo will give you what ability other than the vague item descriptions. It is however a set system.

For example. If you merge Fire Surge with Aero you will always end up with Aerial Slam. If you use a Fleeting Crystal it will have the Attack Haste Ability.
    However, melding a Fire Dash with a High Jump and attaching an Fleeting Crystal will net you an Aerial Slam with Magic Haste instead.

The level of the commands make no difference, there are just two advantages to leveling commands. 1st, the command becomes more powerful in combat. And 2nd, at max level (the crown) you get to keep the ability attached to the command even if the command is removed from your deck or altogether destroyed (such as by melding it into something new)

3. jafar custom title

Now what if I can't select certain moves or items? Even when I try to select something for slot one, it's greyed out and won't allow me to insert it. Any particular reason for that?

4. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Unfortunately I don't exactly recall. I think commands might also have to be max level to meld (I always did, but I thought I only did that in order to keep the ability) and it might also not let you pick commands that don't lead to anything with your setup.

Also, only attack, magic, and action commands can be melded; and only crystals can be attached. So a potion for example, while it is a command, is never going to be an option in melding.

5. jafar custom title

Well, even maxed out commands aren't available for melding, even when the recipe calls for it to be used. I've already looked around online for an answer before making this thread, but I can't seem to find one.

6. Mixt The dude that does the thing

What meld are you trying to do? Are you sure it is possible for that character?

I also just remembered one more thing with the Action commands. You need to have a second one before you are able to use it in a meld.

7. jafar custom title

That might be the issue. Thanks Mixt.

8. Cloudrunner62 Twilight Town Denizen

I'm willing to bet that was it. Another thing to remember with the system is that some melds have a chance to turn into something complete different from what it says. This can be both a blessing and a curse, as I should know. Sometimes you'll be wanting that rare ability to come out, and sometimes it'll come when you REALLY DON'T want it.

9. jafar custom title

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, it'll be useful.

10. Cloudrunner62 Twilight Town Denizen

glad to help!