Film Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Mysty, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I'm with you on that headcanon, but I'd wager that officially, Marvel didn't mind casting him in a lead role because he only had one scene and one line. For Woodard, I'm assuming that she was cast by two departments near-simultaneously and her MCU role was considered too minor for it to affect her Netflix visibility (or one role led to her getting the other). However, I'm assuming that her role is pretty much Miriam Sharpe's from the Civil War comics: she loses her child in the incident and becomes the face of superhero registration. For the film, if it is a minor one scene role, I'm going to assume that instead of becoming the face of superhero accountability, Iron Man sees her (or is confronted by her) as she talks about her child's death and that's what influences him to be on the government's side.
    Now, there is still a chance that her roles are one and the same (Maybe she was vacationing in Sokovia or moved from there to New York after losing her kid?) and that would give a decent backstory (as well as a connection to the film). It wouldn't have to be touched on too much by Luke Cage, but what if her politician takes a cue from Daredevil S2 and takes an anti-vigilante role due to her role in Civil War.[DOUBLEPOST=1460399905][/DOUBLEPOST]Netflix Defenders to start filming this year according to Charlie Cox who hasn't heard anything about an official season 3 for Daredevil.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

We have confirmation of the first known Phase 4 film: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3! Quoth Kevin Feige: "[I]t is still a big chess board for 2020 and beyond, but certainly I would say Guardians 3 is [one film that’s] up there. I don’t know what exactly the order will be."

Other notes of interest from this article:

• Infinity War Parts 1 and 2 will be very different from each other, rather than simply being one story split in half the way the division and the continuous shooting might imply.
    • The Russo brothers have a story arc planned going through The Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Infinity War.
    • Kevin Feige claims that while Doctor Strange and Thor: Ragnarok will both be laying groundwork for Infinity War, most of the groundwork is already there.
    • The writers and directors for Infinity War have been conferring the whole way with the writers and directors of all the other Phase 3 films to line things up. Infinity War is referred to multiple times as a "culmination."

3. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I more or less expected this, but either way, glad this is more of the case with Infinity War as opposed to following the recent Hollywood trend of splitting the last book in a series into two films (essentially creating two halves of the same story).

4. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

First poster for Doctor Strange!

[​IMG]

The first trailer for the movie will arrive at midnight tonight!

Other assorted news:
    • Thor and Star-Lord have been confirmed for Infinity War!
    • Inhumans may be knocked a bit further back due to the additions of Spider-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp to the Phase 3 slate, as well as other planned Disney films, but the film is still planned to happen, despite rumors to the contrary.
    • David Wenham (The Lord of the Rings, 300) has been cast in Iron Fist as Harold Meachum.
    • Tessa Thompson (Creed, Selma, Dear White People) has been cast in an unspecified role in Thor: Ragnarok, though she is said to be a new love interest for Thor, as Natalie Portman will not be reprising her role as Jane Foster.
    EDIT: Trailer is here!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Nathan Fillion has been spotted on the set of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2! ...Sort of. In any case, welcome the MCU's version of Simon Williams!

6. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Avengers: Infinity War Parts I and II are being renamed. The Russo brothers, directing the films, say that the current titles are misleading, as the two movies are very different. That said, no new titles have as of yet been decided upon. [x]

7. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I'm glad they're doing this and not risk having the audience confused into thinking that this is another "final book is split into two movies" situation. Though I'm hoping the words "Infinity War" are still retained for either one (Part 2 perhaps)?

8. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Not only has Agent Carter been cancelled, but Marvel's Most Wanted, the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff starring Mockingbird and Lance Hunter, is being canned. That's how Marvel/ABC TV stands at the moment.

9. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Thor: Ragnarok casting news!

Tessa Thompson (Veronica Mars, Dear White People) is confirmed to be playing Valkyrie, and Cate Blanchett (The Lord of the Rings, Cinderella) as Hela. Also joining the cast are Karl Urban (Star Trek, The Lord of the Rings) as Skurge the Executioner and Jeff Goldblum (Jurassic Park, Independence Day) as The Grandmaster. Amidst concerns that Sif may not return for the movie due to TV commitments, Jamie Alexander tweeted "Don't worry ;)"

x

Carrie Anne-Moss will also reprise her role as Jeri Hogarth in Iron Fist.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  10. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Thor: Ragnarok is reportedly adapting in part the Planet Hulk storyline, with The Grandmaster pitting Thor against The Hulk in a gladiatorial game.

Elizabeth Debicki's role in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is reported to be villain Ayesha.

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Have we found our Captain Marvel? Brie Larson (21 Jump Street, The Room) is reportedly in talks for the role of Carol Danvers.

12. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Alan Silvestri confirmed to return to MCU and compose the score for both parts of Avengers: Infinity War!

Source

13. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Michael B. Jordan's Black Panther character is the villain Erik Killmonger.

Brie Larson is officially confirmed as Black Panther.

14. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Wait, she's Black Panther? I though Chadwick Boseman was!

Joking aside, Larson was confirmed to be Captain Marvel, accompanied by the following updated logo:

[​IMG]

Also, Marvel Studios has a new logo and introduction:

Not gonna lie, it's gonna take some time for me to get used to the new logo.

15. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Black Panther has also cast Danai Gurira (The Walking Dead, Eclipsed) as Okoye, leader of the Dora Milaje, and Lupita Nyong'o (Twelve Years A Slave, The Force Awakens) as Nakia.

Kurt Russell's role in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is confirmed to be Peter Quill's father...Ego, the Living Planet. Somehow. Pom Klementieff (Oldboy, Hacker's Game) was also recently announced to be playing Mantis, who will be joining the Guardians. Sylvester Stallone has an as of yet undisclosed role in the film.

Thor: Ragnarok has received a new logo, and it has been confirmed that the villain Surtur will appear, though an actor has not as of yet been announced. The Hulk will also have his gladiator-style armor in the movie.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  16. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Jason O'Mara (of Batman-voice fame) is playing the new, as-of-yet unnamed, Director of SHIELD for Agents of SHIELD. I'm sure there's a funny theory about Batman running Marvel's spy organization. The synopsis for the new season reveals that after Civil War's Sokovia Accords, SHIELD is re-legitimized and they can't have Coulson, who is somehow still considered a dead man, leading it.

17. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

New trailer for Luke Cage:

Also, the movie that was formerly Avengers: Infinity War - Part I is now titled Avengers: Infinity War. No news yet on the second movie's title.

18. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Marvel has unveiled their Phase 4 slate at San Diego Comic Con!

FILMS

• Black Widow - Directed by Cate Shortland, starring Scarlett Johannson as Natasha Romanoff and Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova, along with David Harbour, O-T Fagbenle, and Rachel Weisz. Releases May 1, 2020.
    • The Eternals - Directed by Chloé Zhao, starring Angelina Jolie as Sersi and Richard Madden as Ikaris, along with Kumail Nanjiani, Lauren Ridloff, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek, Lia McHugh, and Don Lee. Releases November 6, 2020.
    • Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, starring Simu Liu as Shang Chi and Tony Leung as The Mandarin, along with Awkwafina. Releases February 12, 2021.
    • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Directed by Scott Derrickson, starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange and Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff. Releases May 7, 2021.
    • Thor: Love and Thunder - Directed by Taika Waititi, starring Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, and Natalie Portman as Jane Foster. Releases November 5, 2021.
    • Blade - Starring Mahershala Ali.
    DISNEY+ SHOWS
    • The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - Starring Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson, Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes, and Daniel Brühl as Helmut Zemo. Releases Fall 2020.
    • WandaVision - Starring Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff, Paul Bettany as Vision, and Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau. Releases Spring 2021.
    • Loki - Starring Tom Hiddleston as Loki. Releases Spring 2021.
    • What If...? - Animated series starring Jeffrey Wright as The Watcher, with many other MCU actors reprising their roles. Releases Summer 2021.
    • Hawkeye - Starring Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton and an unnanounced actress as Kate Bishop. Releases Fall 2021.
    Other films confirmed to be in the works are Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, sequels for Black Panther and Captain Marvel, and Fantastic 4!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  19. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I initially felt the lineup was smaller than I anticipated (where were Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and the Guardians of the Galaxy?), but seeing as how this is just focused on content over two years, it actually feels on par with release schedules in previous years.

It's nice to see them focusing a bit of old and new now that Endgame is behind us, while also assuring us we will be getting more Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy soon as well.

Also, really happy to see a confirmation of the Fantastic 4 finally arriving to the MCU!

20. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Disney's D23 Expo, going on now, has brought us more Disney+ announcements!
    • Three more MCU shows are coming to the lineup: Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk!
    • WandaVision is described as half-epic Marvel movie and half-classic sitcom. Kat Dennings and Randall Park are reprising their MCU roles as Darcy Lewis and Jimmy Woo, with Kathryn Hahn also appearing as a nosy neighbor. Matt Shakman will direct the series.
    • The Falcon and the Winter Soldier will also star Emily Van Camp as Sharon Carter and Wyatt Russell as US Agent.
    • What If...? will have one episode for each of the 23 films in the MCU and will feature almost every actor returning to their roles—for instance, Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter in the show's first episode, where she receives the super soldier serum instead of Steve Rogers. Other confirmed actors include Michael B. Jordan, Sebastian Stan, Josh Brolin, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Chris Hemsworth, Chadwick Boseman, Karen Gillan, Jeremy Renner, Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Neal McDonough, Dominic Cooper, Sean Gunn, Natalie Portman, David Dastmalchian, Stanley Tucci, Taika Waititi, Toby Jones, Djimon Hounsou, Jeff Goldblum, Michael Rooker, and Chris Sullivan.
    • Loki will be directed by Kate Herron.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019