Film Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Mysty, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Mysty Unknown

As it is now, the Marvel Universe that is currently together in one unified area are as follows:

Phase One

The Incredible Hulk - June 13, 2008
    Iron Man - May 2, 2008
    Iron Man 2 - May 7, 2010
    Thor - May 6, 2011
    Captain America: The First Avenger - July 22, 2011
    Marvel's The Avengers - May 4, 2012

Phase Two

Iron Man 3 - May 3, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier - April 4, 2014
    Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 1, 2015
    Ant-Man - July 17, 2015

Phase Three

Captain America: Civil War - May 6, 2016
    Doctor Strange - November 4, 2016
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2, May 5, 2017
    Thor: Ragnarok - July 28, 2017
    Black Panther - November 3, 2017
    Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 - May 4, 2018
    Captain Marvel - July 6, 2018
    Inhumans - November 2, 2018
    Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 - May 3, 2019

The point I want to bring across is how well done these movies are when it comes to enveloping them together. In order to make sense of some, you need to see the others for a complete understanding. I don't know many franchises that have done this and pulled it off well enough.

I've only seen 2 of the 5 movies for Phase 2 but plan on seeing Thor and GotG before Avengers 2, only because I feel that will allow complete knowledge of whats going on. It was that was for the First Avengers at least.... excluding Hulk, I haven't seen that one so I'm not certain if it holds any importance or not.

Speaking of which, I'm slightly upset that another Hulk movie didn't surface during phase 2 while everyone else was given a movie to show their current lives in between the Avenger movies. Is he really not that interesting or have enough villains for a full length film? I'm uncertain.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a whole thus far?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

The MCU is definitely one of my personal favorite movie franchises ever. Ever since The Avengers, I have went to see every MCU movie that followed on the first day of their release. I'm the kind of guy who constantly checks updates on the upcoming movies, watches every new episode of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", and keeps making connections and theories involving the MCU universe. So in short, yes, I am a VERY huge fan XD

3. Patman Bof

I thought phase 1 was rather good. The movies were linked together, but in a pure fan-service fashion. You could pick any movie and enjoy it for what it was, having watched the others was by no means a requisite to grasp the one you were watching.

I haven' t watched any phase 2 movie but from what I' m told problems are beginning to surface. For starters having characters confined in their own movie again feels contrived, did they lose the others phone number or something ? Yet even separating them again isn' t enough to make them self-contained stories, they' re built on previous entries now.

And finally, not only are they enslaved to the past, they' re also enslaved to the future. Are they making 2 movies a year because they genuinely have something to say, or for the sake of keeping the hype up ? I' m told in Cap 2 aknowledging an issue=solving it, once it' s been pointed out just pretend it was never there. It' s not about the character anymore, it' s about where the plot needs to be by the end credits.

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I always preferred Marvel to DC especially in the movie department since they are much more developed, DC are trying to catch up and I like their films but I am a Marvel fangirl (not a huge one, but still one)

There is also the X-men franchise but I think that's based in a different universe to the Avengers (as you don't get mutants wandering around with Iron man) which I have always loved for whatever reason. I only recently started watching the films and loved them but I have loved the X-men all my life, Wolverine has always been one of my favourite superheroes.

Also, Spiderman and the Amazing Spiderman are both great films ( I prefer Andrew Garfield's portrayal though as he plays the cooler, rejected nerd opposed to the nerdy nerd- both are good, I just prefer the newer one). I know Spiderman is in the same universe as Avengers as I think he was part of them at one point in the comic books (unless I am mistaken). Still, I would love some acknowledgement of the other, even just a fleeting comment as surely Peter Parker hears of "THE HUGE ALIEN INVASION!" which is in his city... where was he? xD

5. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

I like this universe, it's really fun to watch the movies, and connect things together.
    I've been wondering when they were gonna put Spiderman in, I think he was in the Avengers somewhere, just can't remember where. I kinda prefer the first Spiderman, I liked the nerdy-nerd version more. Also, apparently Spiderman's in New York, and didn't they have an invasion there already? (unless I got my cities wrong then sorry)

6. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Yeah, so it's all a bit confusing. I have completely forgotten where Tony Stark lives, *googles*... Malibu, California- alright so not the same city but they would still hear about it wouldn't they? xD Maybe transport costs for Spiderman are too much >:3

Also, I feel like the Ant-man film should go before "The age of Ultron" because wasn't Ultron a villain in his stories? I can't remember exactly what Hank Pym's story was as it's been a few months since I read up on it but he was like quite a few superheroes but Ultron was part of his story. So I hope we get to see Ant-man before Avengers 2.

7. Patman Bof

They' re all part of the same universe but their movie rights belong to different companies.

Spiderman belongs to Sony. The X-Men belong to 20th century Fox and the Avengers belong to Marvel. Now here' s where the headache starts : some characters are in a legal grey area. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch for instance (Magneto' s children). They' re both in X-Men Days of future past and Captain America 2 but they' re played by different actors. X-Men and the Avengers are still two separate canons.

As long as the studios remain territorial about their rights (I wouldn' t expect them not to anytime soon) those three will never ever merge into a single verse.

8. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Thank you for clearing that up, I am quite glad they will never merge simply because it just feels wrong, the X-men shouldn't be in a universe with other superheroes and vice versa. It's like the idea of a Deadpool film, he's marvel and I really want this but he must be aware that he is in a film which I feel wouldn't work in the same essence as Spiderman or Avengers. Of course, he is in the X-Men universe (I am right am I? This is what I was told).

9. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

I just noticed that Patman responded to you with several similar comments, but I am going to post my response anyhow--!
    (I DID NOT JUST WRITE THIS FOR NO REASON, SHOO.)

In the comics, the X-Men and Avengers coexist in the same universe. The only reason they are not shown onscreen simultaneously in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is because the rights to each franchise is owned by a different company; Fox owns X-Men, whilst Disney owns the Avengers. This has lead to some awkward double-casting for certain characters that straddle the boundary between series, e.g. Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are mutant Avengers. Who owns the rights to them? They are Magneto's children, yet they are also longtime Avengers and indeed most of their character development has been sustained through association with the latter. Pietro Maximoff and Wanda Maximoff will be played by different actors in Days of Future Past and Age of Ultron, but there still remains the quandary of whether their familial/mutant heritage may be referred to or addressed in the former (since Magneto is associated with X-Men storylines, and is thereby owned by Fox).

For a run-down of Marvel character rights, here's a comprehensive list.

Interestingly, I once heard a fan muse that they actually preferred the current movie set-up of having the Avengers and the X-Men separated into different universes because the X-Men "couldn't exist without making every other group of superhumans seem like assholes."

Yes, Hank Pym built Ultron. There is a rumour going 'round that Tony Stark shall build Ultron in the movies, which is unfortunate if so since Ultron played a huge role in Hank Pym's development as a character. Ultron was patterned off Pym's brain patterns; their stories are interconnected. You literally cannot have Ultron without Hank Pym.

It's worth note that Hank Pym will be played by an older actor in Ant-Man. So Hank Pym will not be in the Ant-Man suit anyways, instead it will star the second Ant-Man: Scott Lang. On a tangentially unrelated note, this opens up two possibilities: a) Hank Pym cameos as Yellowjacket, Giant Man, etc. and b) Young Avengers sequel.

10. Ghost King's Apprentice

I was worried about this. At first I thought the movie would be awesome if they used Hank, but I never thought about it possibly of the Young Avengers idea. And I would also like it if Yellow jacket would be in the movie, because that would be pretty cool. The character that I really want to see is Wasp. I saw some sort of preview and they showed her wings which looked pretty dang awesome to me.

11. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Well, I heard some *admittedly pretty damn crazy* theory about Janet Van Dyne being... Hank's daughter in the movie?

??

???

At this point I don't know what to expect. Apparently Edgar Wright is eyeing a relatively young actress by the name of Rashida Jones for the role of the Wasp, meanwhile Hank Pym's actor (Michael Douglas) is pushing seventy. I can see where this rumour sprung from; the age gap is formidable. I mean, even in the comics Hank Pym is shown to be fairly older than Janet (they had a student/mentor relationship). By ten years perhaps, but I think this is pushing it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  12. Ghost King's Apprentice

0_0 That would be weird. I totally shipped them and I was happy when they got "together", ha ha :(. But I can't see how that would work because of the whole thing with her father and how she became Wasp, but you know if they do make Jan his daughter they'll find a way past it. Either way I hope it's just a rumor.

Off the subject of Ant-Man, Marvel is apparently putting Captain America back in theaters on May 6th.

13. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

SUDDENLY NEW GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY CLIP

[x]

If you're not excited for this, you're wrong.

14. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

So basically, the character who, in the comics, in Hank Pym's wife will now become his daughter (if rumour serves) and Ultron will be built by Tony? I don't mind them changing up the story a bit to make it more interesting for comic book fans who already know the story but it feels like this is completely messing up the story of Hank Pym...

15. Ghost King's Apprentice

There can never be enough clips of Starlord in the world. I like how they finally showed him doing "some" action, but that song at the end of the Guardians of the Galaxy clips always get me. It was so serious then the song starts and I'm like what (but it's awesome so who cares). Besides that, the characters I'm looking forward too the most in this movie is Groot. The way he's designed looks pretty freakin' awesome.

Oh, and there are also videos for each character but they're 30 seconds each. They're on the Marvel website if anyone wants to see them or something.

16. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

TONIGHT'S POST-CAP 2 EPISODE OF AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. IS ALREADY ON HULU WHAAAATTTTTTT

17. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

This is the correct deduction, provided any of the rumours are genuine; fan speculation is often a hit-or-miss deal. Here's how much we know however. It's not much to go off of, but at this point I don't imagine Hank Pym will be the creator of Ultron if he is in his senior years and not even set to cameo in Avengers 2. Likewise, I doubt the Wasp will feature in the Avengers 2-- at least, not the modern incarnation we are familiar with. Ergo, you have fans speculating that she might be Hank's daughter in the next movie.

I would have preferred Hank Pym to receive a cinematic debut that was accurate to his origin story as well. I hope Tony Stark will not create Ultron, as he spends far too much time in the limelight already. I don't mind when directors take creative liberties with the subject material either, so long as the alterations are not completely pointless and made at the expense of other characters' personal development. Stealing [what is arguably] the origin story of a founding Avenger is where I draw the line.

18. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

HOLY OH MY WOW THAT S.H.I.E.L.D. EPISODE

HANG ON TO YOUR SEATBELTS WHEN YOU WATCH KIDS bECAUSE IT'S ONE INTENSE RIDE

19. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

20. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Well, this sucks. It must have been a rather major disagreement if Edgar Wright left Ant Man after having worked on it for almost eight years. Prayer circle for an at least semi-decent director to pick up from where he left off (I don't have much faith in most of 'em, Bryan Singer and David Goyer and the rest).