Man Offended by the Word "Hell" in Hello

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Advent, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Old news is old lol Anyway, yeah it's a very silly thing to mention. This guy is the kind of person that has caused that oppressive smog of Political Correctness which has descended over the world. No-one else could give a crap that the word "hell" is in "hello".

This is just people with nothing better to do trying to cause trouble for everyone else.

The pledge thing was because it was added long after it was originally written (yes, it was not actually in the original pledge). America isn't even a Christian nation, and so should not contain "One Nation under God" in its pledge of allegience.

2. Near Gummi Ship Junkie

What are you saying?! He can't say 'hi'! It sounds like 'high, and getting 'high' is illegal!

But seriously, you've GOT to be effing kidding me.

3. Princess Snow White I feel such an isomniac.

I was just emphasizing =/
    Some people just like to make a big deal out of something little like a greeting, which is stupid.

4. Repliku Chaser

You do realize the Pledge of Allegiance was changed to have 'one nation under God' in the 1950s and it is a -new- change as the old Pledge, which was written by a Christian, never had it and never was intended to have it. He actually wanted to put in when he wrote it say something instead that described One nation of equality' instead...which was not included because at the time of the writing we had slaves in this country. I think 'One nation of equality' makes more sense and speaks to all people more so than 'One nation under God'. That is what the issue is over. The author's intention and what we stand for versus some unruly people in the 1950s adding a phrase that the author who was Christian never wanted in.

This is quite different. The word 'hello' is a greeting and as I outlined above, has its history and does not coincide with the word 'Hell' at all except that in the English language, instead of keeping Hallo, it was switched to Hello. Hell came from Hel more than likely. The nations where Christianity flourished called Hell 'Inferno' or a derivative. In the end, I find it funny but think the guy can do whatever. Only zealots would be willing to do this because others will actually look up the origins of the word and see it has no conspiracy, just coincidence. It is different than the Pledge of Allegiance, which was -changed- from what the author had intended.

5. Asterisk NO WONT LET YOU

And I thought we couldn't get anymore whiny..

Human beings ftw..

6. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

i noticed that about 2 years ago. i even thought of it this morning. i find it some-what halarious that someone would go to that extent to change a word. reminds me of the "Freedom fries" thing.

7. Laurence_Fox Chaser

A clear case of someone with too much time to think about such trivial things.

8. Repliku Chaser

Now that is more what it is like. The freedom fries thing was so funny. I still called them french fries and a fast food place actually scolded me for it and I told them to excuse my french but I don't give a damn because I'm an American. Good fun. I thought it was kind of 'cute' before I was scolded and people were so serious about it. xD

9. Haseo Knight of Light

Heaveno guys... and girls.XD

That guys is demented. If were gonna do something stupid like that, we should at least do something smart like take the "One nation, under God" out of the Pledge and "In God we trust" of the money.

10. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Here's a copy of the actual proposal sent to the superintendent of a local school district.

KINGSVILLE, TEXAS​

To: Charles W. Greenawalt, Superintendent

Re: Adoption of "Heaveno" (Positive Greeting)

Date: January 7, 1998

Dear Mr. Greenawalt,

The "Hello" greeting is a "generational curse" on our language and society.

The time has come to break this negative paradigm.

This responsibility rests upon us all! If our children could just but glimpse at their imminent future, they would demand it!

We have a sacred obligation to posterity to help create a world worthy of being inherited!

The adoption is stated as follows:

1. I am respectfully requesting a unanimous vote, January 13, 1998, adopting Kingsville's and Kleberg County's official greeting "Heaveno" for use in our Kingsville Independent School District's Kindergarten and Elementary schools.

This daily salutation would help to emphasize "Heaveno" as a symbol of Peace, Friendship, and Welcome among our impressionable youth who thirst for direction and look to us for positive leadership!

Respectfully,
    [​IMG]
    Leonso Canales, Jr.

Source

There's also a website dedicated to the greeting here.

11. Flamedancer Twilight Town Denizen

...oh dang...

Someone seriously said that...?

12. The Twin My, what a strange duet

That's effing awesome. I love you right now.

Not really, not in a creepy way, but you know what I mean. XD

13. Deathsight44 Kingdom Keeper

Here is a report on the word used as Heaveno..........

Well, I decided to test it out with nothing better to do for the past 3 days (posted here 3 days ago), and so, going around the beach, saying "HEaveno" to everyone, I concluded that most people thought it was weird, some thought me as a stalker, some lauphed and made jokes of me, someone TRIED to chuck a rock at me, and though it is still under investigation, whether it be the same person or not, an interesting discovery states that the word HEAVENO seems to attract people who like to chuck A FREAKEN MANGO AT YOU!

In other words, that word sucks, and cuz of it, I had to wash out outdated mango smell out of my hair............So ya, I don't give a crap if hello is disquising hell, I'm still gonna say hello

14. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

oh my i just realised it *waits for slap* ....

it is kind of silly to change one word, there are other words that contain bad words in it... I mean theres a type of mushroom that we cant even say on this site. It's just a word.

On the other hand this could lead to a world [well small] crisis as some Christians may actually believe this and want to protest too.

15. Deathsight44 Kingdom Keeper

*slaps*

you mean shitaki mushrooms? What about Assault?
    and just for quote, hell isn't exsactly a bad word

You don't really think christians would do that, do you? The guy is obviously a nut job. Even if the churhc started to do it, the people would never follow

16. Asylum Destiny Islands Resident

That's just... Stupid. It's not like people are actually saying "HELLo." Honestly, it's a greeting. Are you actually going to let that get to you?

17. Haseo Knight of Light

*coughcoughshiitakecoughcough*

I still lol at this thread. Apparently this has been happening since '97.

18. What? 『 music is freedom 』

People worry about the most stupid things. I feel really sad for this person, seeing as he is trying to lead a pointless group that will not work. If he is really concerned about this, then he should speak another language.

19. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

20. ArchVice Gummi Ship Junkie

This is by far the most ridiculous article I have ever heard of. Someone wants to change a greeting that has been around for ages just because it doesn't sound good to him. Life is full of useless crap that people try to pass off as news. That man needs to get a better grip on reality and realize that sometimes it's just best to keep quiet about your personal feelings regarding etymology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.