Major Wildfire Tragedy In Greece

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Spike, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike H E R O

Okay, a coule of days ago, a huge fire started in the forests in Sparta, Greece which has spread to over 75 km of land, last I heard. The authorities suspected arson. Homes were burned down, many roads were close and several lives were lost. I would know, because I got back from there this morning. You could'nt look out from your balcony because of all the smoke.
    Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And they say that nothing like this has ever happened before.

2. Repliku Chaser

They have said quite a few people had died there. Numbers so far are estimated at around 50+ people last I read this morning. Also, they are worried about the Olympics area that is in danger of burning down. Tons of wildlife have also been tragically struck. I've heard that arson is expected and whoever did it...ought to be tossed in. How horrible. I hope the people that are there will be alright and this fire will be doused soon. Anyone over in that area, my heart goes out to you.

3. Prince of Twilight Gummi Ship Junkie

I am from Greece and I see this everyday now for a week.It's true - It has never happened before.The number of dead people is now 60+ and too many people are missing.My friend told me that the flames where really close to his house in Sparta.I just hope this will end soon...

4. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Apparantly it could be property developers trying to clear forests and then the fire got out of control. Apparantly the fires span Greece (from the news but probably exaggerated).

[​IMG]
    ^This is a satelite image of Greece showing the fires.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6966154.stm

5. libregkd -

6. The Great Gatz Chaser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.