Kingdom Hearts III Magic

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Ars Nova, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Assuming KHIII uses the same system as the previous numbered games, what kinds of spells do you want to see? Any returning favorites, or would you rather they be brand new?

I'd like to see new takes on the classic elements, old-school Magnet & Gravity, and maybe some true light & dark spells as well. It'd be kinda cool if more spells were used not just to attack or defend, but for added mobility or stat boosts or something like that. Maybe you could have an Aero spell that launched you super-high, or a Water spell that let you slide across the ground for several yards. Or a sort of "inner fire" spell that made you attack slightly faster.

2. 61 No. B

I want more elaborate versions of the staples. There are a lot of interesting things you can do with lighting, fire, and ice. They don't always have to be shot out of a keyblade, and please nothing as lame as Firaga in kh2 that's only useful in certain forms.

Aside from that I haven't given it much thought. maybe i'll think of other stuff later

3. Graxe King's Apprentice

Since KH can determine whether or not you're in battle, magic could have different effects depending on that.

During battle, I'd like to see some specialization so there's more reason to use everything rather than just a select few spells. Like Fire has great single hit damage but only hits what's directly in front, Blizzard is a tracking anti-air but damage is ranged-based, Thunder has long range and stuns enemies longer but has low damage potential, Aero blows away surrounding enemies but has longer recovery time than others, or Gravity has Magnet's attracting properties but damage and attraction speed/acceleration are gradual and therefore it may not do full damage.

Outside of battle, spells could be more utilitarian. Fire could light the Keyblade as a torch for dark areas and adds extra fire damage to attacks or Blizzard could make ice platforms. Different tiers could then have different effects that matches their power. Aero, for example, could give you a quick burst of speed while Aeroga launches you high into the air, as mentioned. But this raises the question of whether or not higher tiers are separate spells or straight upgrades. The former could clutter up the command menu unless you can pick and choose what you can use while the latter could lack potential variety.

Regarding new magic, I would want to see proper water, earth, dark, and light spells since they've appeared in one form or another in the series. Water could be like Zero Gravity but traps enemies in bubbles instead, Stone/Quake could be an AoE that only hits enemies on the ground, Dia/Light/whatever could be like Vergil's Spiral Swords that restores some HP per hit, Dark could send out slow, wandering orbs of darkness that explode on contact for the cost of some HP, and Holy's already established in the series. As for actual new, original magic, I don't know. A spell that transforms yourself or your target into a random, defenseless prop?

4. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I am instantly in love with this idea. Probably a snowball's chance in hell, but we can dream can't we.

5. A Zebra Chaser

I dunno, KH has had an ongoing love affair with context sensitive actions. Assuming KH3 has more exploration, which it probably will, going by BBS, Re:Coded and such, I could easily see this happen
    IF the command deck wasn't the most likely form for magic to return in. The command deck as a rule means too many abilities that would require a second nonbattle form.
    Though the idea of having abilities be useful outside of combat is pretty alluring. It's really a simple solution that very few games use, and frankly I'd much rather use Aero to perform a really high jump than to endlessly ram my face into a wall ala DDD >.>

6. Ɍeno Traverse Town Homebody

I'd like to see some spells in the form of buffing. It would be a nice addition to have some increase the defence or attack of yourself and/or party members.

7. A Zebra Chaser

mmm
    If they do that, I think it needs to have a bigger thing than a simple stat buff. Like maybe a strength buff gives you a better comboes or a magic buff changes how magic works. A lack of visual feedback can be pretty bad in an action game

8. 61 No. B

This. I never use those type of spells because they're boring.
    Although this could be part of something else entirely, such as the Drive/Style incarnation for 3. I would love to see that. Instead of a Drive or Style, you can choose to give an extreme boost to your magic or attacks for a period of time, changing the way the character moves and such. Basically merging Drives and Styles. Kinda.