Mafia [MAFIA] Lovers Mafia [GAME OVER, MAFIA VICTORY]

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by Makaze, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Mish smiley day!

My meagre gut feelings so far are that..

Splodge is mafia - due to the self-serving posts from earlier.
    Cal is town - it makes sense for the mafia to discuss their lovers, what doesn't make sense is for them to then describe their strategy in this thread.

For the first day, I think it's still worth policy-lynching the most quiet/unhelpful. Though I wonder if faced with their lover dying, would players come forward and say 'yo btw if you kill them, i will die too'. Is that how lovers mafia goes?

2. Saxima [screams geometrically]

i wouldn't think so :^0
    if their lover was at risk of dying, they would instead try especially hard to redirect suspicions the best way they could. i'm sure that would be almost totally noticeable. the risk to themselves is that, if someone is suspected of being mafia, and they come forward to claim them as their lover, the suspicion could be shifted onto themselves as well, which might create a chain if they had two lovers, and so forth.

3. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I don't advise this strategy. The anonymity of our lovers is one of our most important defenses from the Mafia. Remember there is no night chat in this game. The only way the Mafia can win is if they figure out who everyone's lovers are and manipulate the lynches to kill off townies who pose the least threat to themselves by association.

4. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Skimmed thread. No objections. Will return with records, ask if you want a specific metric tracked.

5. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

ogod I forgot Jeeks is the recordkeeper

Marushi, you played a game w/ Mish recently. Does this look like Town play to you?

6. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

If suspicion was shifted to the other lover, it wouldn't make the chain any larger. If the lover who orginally had suspicsion on them died, their lover would die, and that lover's other lover would also die. I don't see how claiming to be someone 's lover in such a situation wouldn't be viable. It puts you at no more risk, and could potentially relieve suspicion on your lover. If someone really helpful claimed that, then the lynch would only progress if people were certain that who they wanted to lynch was mafia.

Makaze said the mafia have a day chat, so the mafia can talk all they want between eachother. I may be wrong here, but if the mafia acts in the way you suggested, is that really that different from how mafia normally plays? Directing suspicion to the people who pose them the least threat? As someone said before (sorry, can't remember who) we should probably just play the game as if it was normal mafia, because if we start to get too scared to lynch someone because of the possibilty of multiple kills, the town's gonna end up losing.

7. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

While half-paying attention, I'd say that it might be suspicious and the idea does seem like it might be a Mafia attempt, but Mish always plays like this. Later, I'll look at everything and see if I decide whether or not it seems particularly town or Mafia for her.

My apologies, I meant they don't have a night kill. They can't kill a townie in the night.

8. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Fehh, that's what I was worried about. I'll leave my vote 'til we hear from Jeon again, but we'll see where the Day goes from there.

9. al215 Kingdom Keeper

Going around saying that I agree with a lot of the stuff that is being said here is pretty useless. Suffice to say that we ought to keep our Lovers quiet to avoid the Mafia playing off them. As has already been said, one cunning lynch could easily lose us the game because the numbers will be equal. We need to make sure that such a thing isn't possible. We've just got to hope that doesn't happen by coincidence.

This is a tough call because the game is rather chaotic and there's a lot flying about at the moment. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what the deal with people is. As people have said, Korosu's actions are a little weird but that might be down to inexperience or simply a failure to properly read through the thread. Honestly, I wish I had something more concrete to offer but right now I'm drawing a blank. It's frustrating to have to be so passive. I'll be paying particular attention to the people who were put up to two votes, and the ones that did it because I feel like there's something to be gleaned there but what remains to be seen.

10. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I agree. It's also hard because there are quite a few new players this game, so I don't know what to make of things. Saxima feels just as flippant as Korosu, if not more, and as it's even later in the day than it was for Korosu, it's even more suspicious. But I don't know if this is just how she plays or not... I suppose that's getting into a bit of WIFOM, so I guess I'll just say, I think Saxima's acting suspiciously.

11. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Alright, so the movie's over and I've gone through what I was only half-paying attention to again, and now I'm a little more focused.

For Midnight's gut reads, I'd say I'm suspicious of Saxima and Splodge, and maybe Al and Mish. Saxima is being too flippant for this stage in the game. It might just be bc it is still just the first day of D1. With Splodge, it's just a read. Something seems off, though I can't put my finger on it. It's the same with Al. There's just something off about his posts, the way he's been phrasing things. And with Mish, I think that while it's a possibility she's just being her normal town self, she is behaving rather oddly, especially when it comes to Splodge. She seems to be really focused on him, with, imo, not very much evidence. I suppose I'm also suspicious of Korosu, for the same reasons as Saxima. So, those are my gut-reads.

Now then. I know I've already partially addressed this post, but there are more things that I want to mention now that I'm really looking.
    First off, I might be mistaken, but I don't think the 'chain of lovers' works the way you describe above. If lover A (the lover who originally had suspicion on them) died, it's true their lover, Lover B, would die. But unless Lover B's second lover, Lover C, was also a lover to Lover A by some weird coincidence, they wouldn't die. A lover only dies if their lover is lynched. If A dies, B dies. But C only dies if B is lynched.

Secondly, it's true that the Mafia normally try to direct suspicion onto Townies to get us lynched. My point in saying lovers should not reveal their connections was because that's the only way the Mafia will be able to win with this new setup. But I'm not saying we should be scared to lynch; firstly because avoiding a lynch is impossible under these rules. Someone is going to die no matter what, and we can't afford to be scared to lynch someone, or we won't control who gets it. And secondly because you're right, the town will lose if we focus on the aspect of multiple kills tied to our lynches. I agree that the best thing to do is to hunt down Mafioso based on suspicion. Even hunting down the inactives could be more detrimental than taking risks and going after who we believe to be Mafia. The purpose of hunting down inactives is to weed out the people who aren't contributing to the game, but with them being directly connected to who-knows-who, I think we could really shoot ourselves in the foot if we focus on them. By all means, we can vote for them if we don't have a solid suspect by the end of the day, but as long as we focus on post counts and statistics, we'll just be running in circles.

Lots of people have said it, so I'll just reiterate: At this stage in the game, I think gut-reads are our best bet at winning. Townies will die tonight, there's no going around that, no matter who we lynch. It's better to just accept that and focus on finding the Mafia, instead of worrying about who's tied to who.

12. Karuta Reborn

After reading the above posts, I have decided to move my vote off Marushi. My gut tells me that Marushi isn't mafia and I agree with everything that's been said on Saxima.

##Unvote

##Vote: Saxima

13. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I just want to point out that @Mish @tribbles and @Calxiyn were online and sometimes viewing the thread at different intervals over the past few hours, but haven't posted in quite awhile.

14. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

I'm just sort of at a loss for what to do haha, which doesn't happen too often. Tomorrow I'll probably review what I've missed and go from there.

15. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Well, for now, I believe you haven't posted since before Midnight asked for gut reads, so that could be something you can talk about.

Last game, you had great instincts, so it'd be really informative to get your early reads as well.

16. cstar stay away from my waifu

Okay for the record, just because I'm "online and viewing the thread" doesn't mean I'm actually online and viewing the thread. The more likely situation is that my browser auto-refreshed the tab because this was the more active tab and my internet pops in and out over intervals. I'll read to catch up but I wanted to address it because I was tagged.

17. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Fair enough, thank you.

18. cstar stay away from my waifu

Basically after reading, I'm not sure what else I can add since it is all on gut reads, and it's just unfortunately too early for me to really get any suspicions. Like, at all. The closest if any is Splodge but that's from mistakes that are more than likely just honest mistakes rather than freudian slips (it's too early for true freudian slips)

So in summary, I have no opinion and basically what we just need to do is make more awkward first day talk. And hope that first day lynch happens to bag us a mafiosi.[DOUBLEPOST=1469766551][/DOUBLEPOST]mafioso whatever, maybe multiple mafiosi.

19. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

♥ CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE? VOTE COUNT 3 ♥

Jiku Neon (2) - Judge Sunrose, Ars Nova
    Karuta (2) - Marushi, Korosu

Ars Nova (1) - tribbles
    Marushi (1) - Splodge
    Saxima (1) - Karuta
    Splodge (1) - Saxima

Not voting (5) - al215, Calxiyn, Jiku Neon, Midnight Star, Mish

With 13 players alive, it takes 7 votes to hammer.

Day 1 ends at 12 PM EST/EDT on July 31st. There are approximately 2 days and 11 hours remaining.

20. Saxima [screams geometrically]

So I decided to go back and read through the thread since I only ever skimmed through it without paying much attention. A game with a lot of reading like this is difficult for me. Based off my rereading, I have compiled a mainly-gut feeling list of the five mafia.
    • Splodge (still)
    • al215
    • Ars Nova
    • Calxiyn
    • Mish
    Splodge and Al have raised the most suspicion with me, though I'm really not sure of the last three. I chose Mish because everyone else seems to suspect her too—but she could be playing that way on purpose. I have no experience with anyone's style in this game, so it's not easy for me to tell how you act differently if you've been Mafia in other games and such. Calxiyn because it was said that she was reading a lot into things, though that might be due to caution (or whatever), but it seems very distracting and useful to point different fingers in different ways.

These could change of course, but for now, this is what I think.