Implemented Lower Minimum Characters Limit

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Amaury, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

A long time ago, I had requested a username change to Hi, but later went with Kharg because usernames must be three or more characters; at the time, I thought it was a XenForo core restriction, but thanks to being a staff member on a XenForo forum, I discovered it's an option.

Admin CP -> Options -> User Registration -> Username Length Limit

Not sure if that was already known or not, though.

Anyway, I agree with having a limit on maximum characters, but I don't believe there should be a limit on minimum characters. For example, Christhor's current username C is one character, which is from back when we were on vBulletin.

While usernames like Hi are silly, there are more non-silly ones, such as Ed from Ed, Edd n Eddy.

Thoughts?

2. Llave Superless Moderator

Not sure why the limit was expanded, even one letter would be able to distinguish you as a member on the forum, with the same link properties to profiles, et cetera. Whereas it may be "harder to click" as opposed to multi-charactered usernames, I don't see any harm in them. Administrators moderate all the usernames anyways, so they could reject a request if something were somehow objectionable.

Now the matter of a non-member creating a username. I guess I could see why they would want the limit to be there in that regard, since it would be annoying to see a new member named "2" or "Y" pop in. But I digress.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, it depends on the characters as well.

Something like a period would indeed be hard to click (though I've yet to see anyone have a username out of only punctuation marks), while something like C, Christhor's current username, wouldn't be.

I agree, though.

Seeing as there wasn't a minimum characters limit back on vBulletin, I guess it's pretty obvious that it wasn't an issue back then, so it shouldn't be an issue now, in my opinion. :)

4. Misty gimme kiss

The limit wasn't consciously set, it was default when we moved and we never had reason to change it. Personally I could see bumping it down to two characters, but one just seems... unnecessary, to me. I don't think there's really a reason to have a one character username.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

I would be fine with two. :)

What about the ones that still have one, such as Christhor? Should they be asked to request a different name?

6. Misty gimme kiss

No. When we modify rules they are rarely retroactive, because that's simply unfair.

Going to give this a few hours before i change it just to see if anyone else wants to get a word in.

7. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I think it's a wonderful idea. One day, I may wanna go with one of my nicknames as a username and they're always 2 to 3 letters. lol

8. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I think a two character limit would be good enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.