Looking For Alaska

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fork, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Fork These violent delights have violent ends

[​IMG]

Anyone read the book? I finished it today. It's my first John Green book.
    It's definitely one of my favorite books ever. I never would have thought that I'd get so attached to the characters.
    You'll laugh and cry with this book. It's very lighthearted at one point, and then pretty heavy at another.
    The book is directed to young adults, as are most of John Green's books, so it's pretty perfect. I'd honestly recommend it to everyone who feels like reading. Though when I say that it's heavy, I really mean it. I can't say that much without spoiling it though. The book does deal with a lot of big topics, such as friendship, the meaning of life, guilt. It's a wonderful book, with a wonderful story, and wonderful characters.

2. Plums Wakanda Forever

HOW HAS NO ONE REPLIED TO THIS?!

Alaska bby ;___________;

For a serious review though, this book smacked my heart around like it was a tennis ball. I had read Paper Towns right before I picked up Alaska, so I knew John Green was a fabulous writer, but I was not expecting the way it would turn out. Alaska's death, while you could kind of see it happening in the future, had no less of an impact when it finally happened. I felt really awful for Pudge, and as it continued on, I was just blown away by his transformation; he went from the friendless, apathetic kid at the beginning to someone who felt and wasn't afraid to feel what he did, and the way his thoughts were narrated and connected with the themes of life and guilt...feelings ;_______;

Overall, I have to say that Pudge at first seemed like a copy of Quentin from Paper Towns (which, the dynamics between those two and their respective loves were similar), but it was differentiated enough by the end that I really enjoyed it without thinking "GREEN RECYCLING CHARACTERS AGAIN? B|"

Definitely one of my favorite books (liked Paper Towns better tho), and recommend it to anyone, really. xD