Anime Looking for a good mecha

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by DigitalAtlas, Jul 15, 2013.

1. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Anyone have any mecha recommendations? I'm pretty open about choice. I prefer dubs, but I'll take any recs.

I've already seen a majority of of the Gundams, Gurren Lagann, Eureka Seven, and most the basics so we can skip over those.

2. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Would Aquarion count as a basic? I haven't seen it all the way through, but from what I have seen it's a fantastic anime.

3. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

>Google image searches

That's a mecha alright! Looks interesting. Not too long, dubbed, hoverboards, and a sequel show.

Thanks, HoT!

4. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

Just off the top of my head:

-Neon Genesis Evangelion
    -Patlabor the Mobile Police
    -RahXephon
    -Macross
    -Armored Trooper Votoms
    -Full Metal Panic

5. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

By george, what is this?

I've always wanted to get into this franchise, but have absolutely no idea where to start. I hear there's a lot that's cannon and a lot that's not (kinda like Gundam)

Same as above.

What the heck is this show even about? I've "obtained" it; never watched it.

6. PirateNinjaHanyou Traverse Town Homebody

Infinite Ryvius, Macross 7, Jinki Extend, and Gunbuster.

I haven't actually seen the ones I'm about to list, but I've also heard good things about Mazinger, Bubblegum Crisis, GaoGaiGar, and New Getter Robo.

EDIT: And Zoids. I've only seen a little bit of it, but I've heard enough good things about it to recommend it anyways. But it's good judging from the few episodes I've seen, regardless.

7. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I would absolutely love to get into Macross, but I have NO IDEA where to start and what's cannon and what's not. I need to find a timeline or something.

8. 61 No. B

I know Valvrave the Liberator is a new thing

9. PirateNinjaHanyou Traverse Town Homebody

Macross Zero (aired after the original Macross series, but takes place before it) -> Macross (or you can watch the Do You Remember Love movie) -> Macross Plus -> Macross 7 (and Macross Dynamite 7) -> Macross Frontier.

There's a lot of summary movies and side-story OVAs, but that's the basic timeline.
    Honestly, I haven't even seen most of these myself, but Macross 7 is a really good series. It's full of a lot of hot blooded goodness, and not to mention, one of my favorite soundtracks in any anime ever. And you don't need to know awful much about Macross in general to be able to get it. What little you do need to know is flat out told to you throughout the series, though, so it's no issue.
    Macross 7 was my first exposure to Macross as well, and I knew almost nothing about the Macross franchise at all when I watched it, but I still understood it fine and loved it.

10. Pinekaboo Chaser

Aquarion is fantastic, and EVOL is even better imo, but you should definitely look into GaoGaiGar too. It's one of the main forerunners of modern-day mecha anime, and it really comes into its own even more when you get to the OVA sequel.

11. Stardust Chaser

Gonna second Infinite Ryvius, although it's not mecha in the strictest sense. I'd say it's more general sci-fi -- mechs are involved, but not the focus. One of my favorite anime series of all time. You've got to give it a fair chunk of episodes to get rolling though (took about seven episodes to rope me in).

12. What? 『 music is freedom 』

Small append: Watch Diebuster, after this preferably, mostly because you are a huge Gurren Lagann fan and it carries a bit of the same vibe.