Life Without Emotions

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Peace and War, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saxoR_vs_aroS Hollow Bastion Committee

thats a good point.

2. Nulix Twilight Town Denizen

I would chose life with emotions, because we ultimately live life to feel enjoyment,
    and if you could not feel enjoyment, you would have no meaning to live, right?

3. Tootsie coquí

Well here goes my opinion:
    To me,emotions is what makee us human.
    To live without emotions is like being a corpse.

4. saxoR_vs_aroS Hollow Bastion Committee

thats a very good point. i was just about to post that.

5. Repliku Chaser

I would say that without emotions that there would be no real ambition to do anything. I think emotions work with even the will to survive really so without something to engineer a person to move in that state, they'd just be there not doing much at all. They wouldn't be 'depressed' but at the same time I can't see how they'd have anything to get their butts in gear either.

6. Mirai King's Apprentice

Why is everyone forgetting that most animals don't have emotions yet still survive?

7. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Probably because humans have emotions annd they act like anything that isn't human mustn't have emotions.

The only reason to live, is to die.

8. Repliku Chaser

Most animals do have emotions. Emotions are the brain's way of reactions to actions. An animal does feel 'good' 'bad' etc and knows what it likes or does not. What proof do you have that animals have no emotions? If you pet an animal the wrong way it may bite you or tries to escape. This is a reaction and an emotion. Animals also can be annoyed at things, get scared, be content, and show contentedness by acts. Even lizards basking in the sun feels good to them. The more complex the brain, the more complex the emotions but still, animals do feel things and you can tell it if you look. Animals also have different personalities in their own types of species that is easily discernible if you study them. It has been very easy for me to distinguish between animals within a species at study groups I have been in not just by appearance but also by attitudes. Sometimes telling them by what they like or don't is easier, especially with smaller near duplicate look-a-likes as frogs or mice. What animals are you referring to which don't have emotions at all? I've noted differences in lizards, mammals, birds etc and this is in biological examination for university papers.

9. Mirai King's Apprentice

I didn't mean good/bad. I mean sad, grief, hatred. Sex feels good, so is it an emotion?

EDIT: Brain's way of reacting to actions=instincts, not emotions.

10. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

But how is life worth living without emotions? Without the feeling of happiness or joy, what's the point of living? The way I see it, life only has too meanings.

1. To be happy
    2. To help make future generations' lives even better

That's incorrect. Animals have anger, fear, and arguably love. Just observe animals in the wild as they care for mates, young and their parents. See the anger as another trespasses on their territory. They definitely have emotions.

11. Soushirei 運命の欠片

What's enjoyable doesn't equate with what's 'easy'. There is some merit that life can be 'easier' without emotions. It may not be what you're prefer, but it doesn't mean it can't be 'easier'. You're trying to place meaning on what it means to exist when the question is whether or not life would be easier to live (more specifically, we wouldn't have conflicts, wars, etc). These two things are completely different arguments.

The question is "Would life be easier", not "Is life worth living."

12. Xigbar The Freeshooter

It's debateable, life with no emotions would be no fun, but it would also be more efficient. Life with emotions would be more problematic, but we would be able to enjoy ourselves.

13. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Sorry, I should've said that I do agree life without emotions would be much easier. I kinda got caught up in my thoughts and wanted to post that.

14. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Robots don't have emotions but they're quite efficient at what they're programmed to do.
    Humans would basically become robotic, where they're 'programmed' from when they're embyros to fulfill a certain role until they die.

I'm not saying this is humanly possible to do--that is, program an embyro--but it is *possible* for humans to do tasks without being motivated if they're conditioned to do so.

And just to once again specify the context, yes there would have to be someone to this 'programming', but if we consider a single individual who has undergone this process, they *can* function and complete tasks without emotion until they die.

15. Amethyst Grave Hollow Bastion Committee

Nobody!!!

Id LOVE to have no emotions, I want to be a nobody!!!!

16. Tootsie coquí

Please dont involve videogames into this.
    A nobody is just from a game.

17. Megami no Hikari Merlin's Housekeeper

Well having emotions is part of life.
    Without emotions we wouldn't learn some experience, like you're upset and shout at your friend when you didn't mean to. So you also learn to say sorry to a person and to think before you act.
    Without emotions we can't enjoy life. When you're happy, you're enjoying something. If you could't be happy you would be empty and not able to enjoy anything.
    So with emotions you share smiles and tears, it's just the way it is..

18. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I would have to disagree that we wouldn't learn anything, humans at an early age know what hurts them and what doesn't, so they learn what to do and what not to do, emotions only teach us who we should not get angry and who is easy to pick on.

19. naminestwinsister Destiny Islands Resident

emotions are needed in the world without them we are stupid no one would ever have bothered with police and hospitals no one would have bothered making houses

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.