Life Without Emotions

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Peace and War, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Repliku Chaser

It would be hard to imagine living without emotions. Animals do have emotions. There are vets who give out antidepressants and anxiety calmers to animals and a pet owner can generally tell an animal is not feeling well, or it's happy etc. There are animals that mourn their dead. What separates humans from animals is our sentience, not our emotions so much. We can intake more and perceive and react to more and reason above flight or fight, find shelter, eat, sleep, raise young.

People who generally say they wish they had no emotions are those who have been hurt or are tired of messing up because of quick decisions based on emotional reactions rather than taking the time to reason things out. However, emotions through time and going along with reason produce beautiful works of art and creativity, as many people have mentioned in previous posts here. Emotions have inspired every invention we see about us and then the people with these dreams logically deduced they could be real and blam: There they are. Emotions are not bad or good, they are part of us. We can train and hone them, and we can become smarter and wiser, more open-minded and educated with them. It's all a matter of where people apply their emotions and how much they also develop their thinking mind to go with their emotional mind. When combined together, people are at their most intelligent and can either do great things or some of the worst things out there. Without using both sides of us to some sort of balance, this is where things fall apart and I think things just fall apart. Emotions are out of control because the thinking mind is not being used and even if they hear the voice saying 'this is bad to do' they ignore it any way, which despite all protests is their choice to do. People shut off emotions and do some cold rational things and close their minds, progressing really no farther in life mentally when they don't use their thinking minds anymore, and also can be duped into believing lies because they don't explore for truths. Why would someone bother if they have no care to?

Emotions are a part of us and even in KH if you think about it, that's what the Nobodies really wanted to make themselves feel real. They had emptiness and knew they didn't want to exist like that, and they probably couldn't go on like that. I'm nearly sure anyone at the worst of times wishes they could shut off their emotions through the turmoils and might even say they wish it 'forever' but in the end, all they should have to do is try to find those great times where they laughed and/or had some serenity where there was bliss and to know that without emotions that too would have had no impact. It would really make life not worth living to feel nothing, draw no motivations and just vegetate. =:/

2. Gravity Chaser

Wow. That was deep...

Emotions are really important, though. They're what help us bridge that kinda awkward gap between people...they're what help us connect with others that we may not talk to otherwise. Emotion is universal. While it may mess us up sometimes, it's worth the trouble.

3. SplitOverload Chaser

Life without emotion is clearly no life at all. You won't care if someone died. You won't care if you died. Since nobody would know emotions, they wouldn't do anything to you. It's like living a life of a robot.

4. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

You could live with or without emotions, just without emotions you wouldn't feel so much pain. And I don't see much problem about not being sad about someone dieing, it wouldn't hurt you at all and be able to live on with life. You could still have a relationship with someone though, probably be easier since their would be no fights, no judgements, just that you need them and they need you.

5. SplitOverload Chaser

Ok. First, am I talking about this right? Emotions as in sadness, happiness, surprised, care? Or is this about emotions such as greed and such?

6. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Well they are all emotions like anger, fear, sadness, happiness, shame, desire, lust, surprise, curiosity, disgust, etc. Their are loads of them.

7. Gravity Chaser

Yeah...there are a lot of emotions, and mixed ones as well. You guys are both right...but I think I have to go with splitoverload's idea.

8. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Antidepressants alter chemical reactions, more specifically--the more commonly used ones today, SSRIs, slow the reuptake process at serotonin synapses. You can't directly justify antidepressant usage on animals as proof that they have emotions.

I don't want to keep repeating myself, but I will: You only say this because you know what it's like to have emotions. If you never experienced this to begin with, you wouldn't be able to say this statement. Try to think about it objectively.

9. SplitOverload Chaser

Well. I'll say that you can't last a relationship without emotions, truly becuse there will be no love. You also said it wouldn't be a problem if someone else died. That is true, but think of it like this, how about if yourself dies? That is...wow. I corrected myself. That is not a matter either. Since most deaths are caused my anger, hatred and such, then population will increase. We'll be like a robot...with age XD

10. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Love is an unstable emotion. While it gives us happiness, love will also bring us sadness and grief when a loved one dies, or anger when a loved one is taken away from us, or jealousy when the one we love seems to not pay enough attention, etc.

Thus, love wouldn't be an ideal thing to have in a 'stable' society. There is no room for love in a world of stability.

That's a little cynical. Most deaths are caused by disease and natural causes. I'm pretty sure more people die of malnutrition, old age and disease than because of murder.

11. Yami*no*Hime Merlin's Housekeeper

If humans had no emotion, and they had a programed fate or destany. What would happen when that destany or fate is done. With the human fade away, die, or just get a new fate.
    Why would someone with no emotion need a kid. The "mother" would not love the child, or care for it. Eventually the child will die of something. Then the human race will end as well.
    If love, hate, or sadness never existed, then how would the human race started to begin with? It wouldn't be just music and art. Life itself would never exist. The first people on earth would not love, therefore our ancestors would never have been born, so we never would have been born.

12. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Untrue, other species care for their young even if the have no emotions, what your saying is if humans had no instinct, (which any and every species has and needs). Humans do not need 'love' to reproduce (the love you are talking about was only created 1000 years ago when in politics the ruler would need the country to trust their ruler's spouse if they or their family were untrustworthy, so marriage was creted leading to the word love.)

13. Yami*no*Hime Merlin's Housekeeper

What species dosen't have emotion. Maybe love did come from politics, but that doesn't really change how we feel about the person we "love".

14. Gravity Chaser

Okay, no. Love is love. Love is basic...it's practically a requirement to function.

I honestly don't think that love was created for politics. It's more of a pre-programmed thing that we're born with. If love didn't exist, there wouldn't be politics, because humans would have died out a long time before that. We don't do stuff indiscriminately...we're far more complex than that.

Oh, and I'd be happy to see the proof you have for that one.

15. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Look I have another thread if you really want to discuss this. Is True Love Real?
    Could we just get back on subject?

16. Repliku Chaser

Okay, how do you figure animals do not have emotions? Have you ever owned an animal or seen one in pain or anything? Emotions are reactions to things that happen to you, and even if one person can consider someone's reaction 'cold' it is still nonetheless a reaction. There are different levels of these but emotions are more than just love, hate, anger, sadness, happiness, fear etc but if you look at it in all seriousness, what animal doesn't care about its well being in some way? If they did not, they would not exist. They'd just lay there and do nothing and die. There would be no motivation of self-preservation due to the fact the starving belly would just be ignored. Emotions are also reactions to physical things that occur and are instinctive.

When someone dies and you do not 'cry' it does not mean you are emotionless. You may even laugh, find it funny, turn away and shrug and say 'who cares' or feel the person is finally out of pain etc. There is a reaction there and it is not just an 'emotionless' thing, even if others may consider it the 'inappropriate' reaction and be rather negative about it. If there are no emotions, you have no reactions to the environment around you so you would need to motivate yourself off of something...what then? Other people's emotions and reactions? The environment that stimulates you? There is something there that has to kick start a being whether it is on a basic instinct level or higher. Our emotions are expanded due to our sentience and ability to express more and research.

Animals and humans certainly react to pain or pleasure in ways that anyone can see. Also, if you use the Nobodies as examples, they were doing things off of 'memories' of emotions.

17. Tikem Gummi Ship Junkie

Well last Saturday, I watched a document where were 3 mans on nature. Well one of them was in a desert without water! He almost died but, his final shout of anger saved him from certain death, becouse there was a camp nearby, and the campers heard it. But then he also took his clothes off becouse of anger, and nearly caused him dieing.

18. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

Life would be pretty dull. There wont be any joy in life, nothing to look foward to. But then again, if someone insults you, you would be like "What ever." and walk away. But life would be pretty dull without emotions.

19. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

If you had no emotions you wouldn't care if you had them or not. And you wouldn't know what would fun or not since you eouldn't know happiness.

20. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

Yeah so basically, life would be a bit pointless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.