Leonard Nimoy Passes Away at 83

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Meilin Lee, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

It is with great sadness for me to have to write this. Leonard Nimoy, the English voice of Master Xehanort in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep and Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, known mostly for his role as Spock in Star Trek, has sadly passed away in his home in Los Angeles after complications with COPD. On behalf of the KHV staff, I would like to extend my deepest condolences to Nimoy's family.

RIP Leonard Nimoy. It's hard to imagine Master Xehanort voiced by anyone other than yourself.

[​IMG]
    Credit to HeartlessOfLight for letting me know.

Source

Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Meilin Lee, Feb 27, 2015.

1. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠
      ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠
      What's sad is a man died. They will find replacements, I don't have a shred of doubt about that.
    2. Anixe
      Anixe
      Wow, even considering the number of actors I know that have also recently passed away, I'm still quite shocked. Definitely will be missing his voice for Xehanort in future games, but may he rest in peace. He lived a very long and successful life and career.
    3. Ability King KK
      Ability King KK
      I know he died and that is very sad, but what makes it sadder is that he died before the story finished. That's like an author dying before he finished his next book or an actor dying in the middle of production of a movie or TV series. And I know that they'll probably find replacements, but they'll never reach the pinnacle that Ohtsuka and Nimoy have reached.
    4. lockedongamer
      lockedongamer
      It's sad that this happened, but he lived quite long so I'm happy someone as talented as him was able to live until 86.

For voice acting, I wouldn't be worried at all. There are many actors who can simulate voices like James Arnold Taylor who does the voice for Obi-Wan-Kenobi in Star Wars: Clone Wars, for example. Another actor I could bring up is Troy Baker, who brought out Mark Hamill's Joker really well in Batman Arkham Origins even though there is an age gap.
    5. . : tale_wind
      . : tale_wind
      Right; I'd be willing to wager that Corey Burton can probably do a passable Nimoy impression, as we already know he does really good impressions of Christopher Lee and Tony Jay.
    6. Cloud4012
      Cloud4012
      How will the game continue without Master Xehanort
    7. Amaury
      Amaury
      They'll continue, Xehanort will just have a different voice actor.
    8. Cloud4012
      Cloud4012
      It still won't be the same
    9. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠
      ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠
      Not to be super negative, don't get me wrong ANYONE's death, famous/talented or not is a real tragedy. However there are plenty of talented people out there that could fit the role.

Again, this isn't to say that he wasn't a brilliantly talented man. Its just that different people can play different roles and it still works out just as well.
    10. Sebax
      Sebax
      Mr. Nimoy was an actor in the truest sense of the word. He worked in everything. TV, Movies, Stage, etc...

In the Theatre world, the one with live performances and stages, roles change hands all the time. As actors, we recognize that, almost indefinitely, no two shows will ever be exactly alike, because they will have different casts, different directors with different visions, different crews making different things, and, yet, it's going to be the same show. Some versions are better than others, yes, but that's why such a word as "talent" exists. It is the ability to think your way through a situation. Does it hurt when anyone leaves any part in any particular show? Is it wrong to miss them, whether or not they are dead? It does, actually hurt. You saw something magical (That's what we do). It isn't wrong to miss them. It is, however, a cardinal sin to put down an actor because they are not the one who is familiarized. It's a mortal sin of the theatre experience that kills the magic we try so hard to express.

Master Xehanort is a character. He was lent Mr. Nimoy's voice, but, as much he put into that part, Leonard Nimoy was not exclusively Master Xehanort. While it's true that to portray a character well you will likely have to exude some sort of similar essence as with the character you're going for, as it's also true that there have existed several hundred individuals who can play Jean Valjean just as well as anyone who's ever done so on Broadway; a character can live inside anyone.

Now, still, I will admit, it will not be the same playing Kingdom Hearts III, through knowing Master Xehanort isn't voiced by the late Leonard Nimoy. That can break the immersion. Why sacrifice happiness to hold on bitterly to a neurosis such as nonacceptance? That... is illogical.

We can remember Mr. Nimoy. We can hold his replacement to a standard, as a precedent has been made. Just do not let your standards become emotionally-fueled. Such is a bias that has a higher chance of breaking your heart than sparking your imagination. Which of the two would Mr. Nimoy, a man who never stopped doing what he loved, wish for? Which do you want?

Now, if the new voice actor is a young man, and a suit of armor attacks him...well, that's another side, another story.
      Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    11. fire mage
      fire mage
      It is very sad to see that both of them died within the last month after. Square Enix will replace them as the series wouldn't be the same without Master Xeohanort. A least until they are done with his story. He is an interesting character and I am sure they will audition for a Japanese and English VA after the griefing period is over. After all they found a new replacment VA for Mickey Mouse who died few years ago. So I am sure that other people are hoping to get the part for Master Xeohanort. Still it like a wiered coincidence, but I don't think like that.