Legend of Zelda: Hero's Call

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Garxena, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Garxena Hollow Bastion Committee

Just a little something I've been working on for the past couple months. I thought someone might enjoy reading it. Maybe give me some ideas about puzzles for later on. This is only the introduction; I'll put more up if people are interested. Enjoy!

I know who I am. I know who I am! The hero pressed his back against a gnarled tree, clutching his sword and trying to smooth his breathing so that his enemy would not hear him. A small orb of light hovered by the hero’s shoulder, giving off comfort and reassurance. To the orb, he whispered, “I know who I am, Dew.â€
    “You can do it, Link!†The tiny, female voice of the orb replied. Dew, only visible as a ball of light, floated down to Link’s left hand and touched the three connected triangles that the back of his hand bore. Link stared at the mark of the Triforce and squinted his eyes to make out Dew’s silhouette. “You are courage. You’re not just my hero.â€
    Link nodded, his bright blue eyes now peering over his shoulder and around the cover of his tree. A large shadow, created by the setting sun, centered his field of vision – his enemy. Link could not doubt himself now. No, now was the time for what the Triforce recognized him for: courage. Link gripped his sword and, with a yell, leapt out of his cover to engage his enemy once more.

“Link! Heeey, Liiiiink!â€
    Link bolted erect in his bed. The yell from outside his home in the tree had jolted him from his dreams. Breathing out a sigh of relief that what he had thought was so real was really just a dream, he hopped out of his bed and went to the window to see who it was that had woken him so early.
    “Great, you’re up! Come on out here; let’s race!†It was Link’s long-time friend, Tippo, waving his arms excitedly to urge Link to join him. What was he doing awake just after the sun had risen? And already dressed for the day too? If he wanted to race Link, couldn’t he have waited until a more decent hour? But they were best friends, and Link couldn’t help but smile at the enthusiasm Tippo showed. He nodded to his friend and went back inside to change into his day clothes.
    Life in Hyrule was peaceful, especially in Ferryar Forest. Days went in and out with routine, and any happy surprise was welcomed. Yet, Link’s days were different from everyone else’s. He had an urge for something more that he didn’t understand. With no parents and no available answers to his many questions, he often used any spare time he had to go exploring around the forest with his horse, Epona. He and Epona were the only family each had; Link had found the mare wandering in Ferryar Forest only a few years past. She loved music and Link was no stranger to playing the ocarina. While everyone in Ferryar Forest welcomed Link and treated him as one of their own, Link knew from several tell-tale signs that he was not one of them. His skin was lighter than the Ferryians’, his eyes sky blue while theirs were deep brown, his hair was blonde while the Ferryians had black or brown hair. And most importantly, the back of his left hand had a mark that was most certainly not a mishap. Three connected triangles with one upside down triangle in the middle of them made one whole, larger triangle. It was not a strange mark to a Hylian; all knew it was the mark of the Triforce. The princess of Hyrule, Princess Zelda, had the same mark; she was seen as the Wisdom of the Triforce.
    “Wisdom, Power, and Courage,†Link muttered to himself. He was one of the few who didn’t fully believe in the legend of the Triforce. In the homely village of Ferryar Forest there were no superstitions, threats, or dangers. Ferryians had their gods like everyone else did, but the Ferryians’ gods did not include Nayru (the Goddess of Wisdom), Din (the Goddess of Power), or Farore (the Goddess of Courage).
    “Alright! Let’s go; Athina is up too and she’s got Epona and Joro waiting for us.†Tippo patted Link’s back once he was out of his house and on the ground. The two headed off towards the fenced in field next to Athina’s house. Sure enough, Athina had Epona and Joro with their tack on, waiting for Link and Tippo. Athina had set up barrels and jumps for the two competitors to race around.
    “Good morning, you two,†Athina greeted her friends. “Link, Epona had some knots in her mane. Did you even brush her yesterday after herding the sheep?â€
    “Um,†Link rubbed the back of his head. He had indeed forgotten to brush Epona after their chores. But he hadn’t even thought about it that morning thanks to his disturbing dream.
    “I did it for you this time,†Athina handed Epona’s and Joro’s leads to their respective riders. “But you’ve got to take better care of her.â€
    Link nodded in apology to Athina and mounted Epona, adjusting the reigns in his hands. Epona burred, anxious to get going. Link smiled and patted her neck. Their bond was more than rider and horse. He looked to Tippo to see if he was also ready to start.
    “You know you’re going to lose, right?†Tippo challenged. Joro shook his head and paced eagerly.
    “Hey, let’s have a friendly race, boys,†Athina smiled. She knew it was just Tippo’s usual banter, but felt a need to say something anyway. Her eyes met Link’s for a brief moment; he thought he saw her cheeks turn a little rosier but before he could be sure, Athina hurried off to the fence and called the start of the race.
    “Come on, Joro!†Tippo kicked the gelding into a canter and quickly got ahead of the dazed Link. Link hurried Epona forward, weaving through the barrels with ease; it was just like riding through the trees of the forest. Tippo had already jumped two of the six wooden jumps Athina had set up. There was just the turnaround and he would be back to the start in no time. Link urged Epona to move faster. She leapt over the horizontal wooden poles easily; Link gripped her sides with his legs as she came along Tippo and Joro. The two galloped back towards Athina at the same rate. Link smiled at Tippo’s laugh; neither of them knew who had won. They both slowed their horses and looked to Athina for a verdict.
    “The winner is,†Athina paused, walking over to them. “Tippo and Joro!â€
    “Ha!†Tippo exclaimed, jumping off of Joro and rubbing his mane. “Great job, buddy.†Link stayed on Epona. “Now that you’ve had your morning beating, you should get started on your work, Link!â€
    “You had a head start,†Link defended himself.
    “You were busy staring at Athina!†Tippo teased. He laughed aloud at the surprised looks on Athina and Link’s faces. Good heartedly, he waved for Link to leave. Being such good friends, all three knew each other’s schedules. Today, Link had to start by gathering some more furnace wood for the bakery; it was more of a favor to the owner than an actual job.
    With only a small awkward moment of hesitation, Link turned Epona around and squeezed her sides to get her into a gallop. They jumped the fence and headed off to the woods.