Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix Plat Run

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Roxas, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Roxas OG

I'm gonna leave this as a list of thoughts while I run through the game to make it digestible and fun. I'll sprinkle in random KH trivia, strategies and more. I got the idea for a Plat Run from Cin so shouts to him. Got to pay homage to this great series and I haven't played it in forever. Plus it'll be great to finally see how the Xehanort Saga flows as a whole. Anyway, enough rambling.

• First time playing this on PS5. Here we go.
    • Always go staff for the extra MP. I'm gonna give up sword too.
    • Love that they put the triangle Reaction commands back in for chests and other interaction. The PS2 version was so much more clunky in comparison. I bet there are plenty of new fans who never had to experience that.
    • I always pick night for EXP although I won’t for the speed and no equipment runs you have to do to get the plat trophy.
    • Darkside rising up is classic.
    • Holy ****, if you go behind Darkside when it leans back and shoots the pink bombs you can jump to combo its head and get the 2 Tech Points. I always run up the arms there but this is so much cheesier. Still learning new things about the game almost 20 years later.
    • Classic cutscene when Sora wakes up on the beach, this intro aged well tbh.
    • It’s always nice to gain a level or 2 off Wakka or Selphie’s Tech Points but it’s faster to level once the Shadows spawn after you get the Keyblade imo.
    • Love how muscle memory kicks in against enemies like Riku and Wakka. Been years since I’ve played this yet all the old moves come rushing back.
    • God Tidus is so ****ing annoying in the 3v1 fight on Destiny Islands. I just wanna kick his whiny ****ing ass, he thinks he’s so cool because he ****ed Yuna in a lake but we both know who she’d pick if she’d had the choice between both of us… anyway, the fight wasn’t too bad after grinding Potions off Riku.
    • Why the **** was KH1 the only game with parrying like this? The Tech Points are great...
    • I love that you can spend a good 15-20 minutes fighting a range of enemies that teach you different game mechanics on the first day of Destiny Islands. It were those little touches that made this era of Square games so damn good.
    • Disney was such a different company back when this was made, and that really shows with the first cutscene at Disney Castle. Their tightening grip on future titles wasn’t great imo.
    • Oh god, the brown cloaked figure in the Secret Spot… there was an air of mystery in the earlier titles that still hits hard. Nomura really knew how to draw us in. It gets a bit messy later but hopefully this playthrough will untangle some of those threads.
    • I can’t overstate how good the music in this series is but Destiny Islands truly represents that.
    • Riku’s such a salty prick after the race when you win, he always pisses me off here.
    • Gonna grind a bit on all the Shadows that spawn after you get the Keyblade while I order food, this was always a good early leveling spot.
    • Haha, Darkside. I know your little secret now. Free Tech Points.
    • Ordered wings. Just got to Traverse Town, that song tho lol. I'm gonna take a break and get back into this later tonight.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  2. Roxas OG

• It's the exclusive Final Mix scene with Riku at the Hollow Bastion waterfalls. I remember watching fansubs of this on YouTube a decade and a half ago. Oh, and reading 5000 word theories breaking down every frame.
    • I love the FF characters’ level of inclusion. One of the cool things about KH being a crossover was the two fanbases coming together and I came from the FF side. FF7 was the 3rd game I fell in love with after Pokemon Red and Spyro. That’s not to say I don't like Disney as I grew up on their films, but I wouldn’t have played a Disney game if not for FF part.
    • Wow, the beeping when your health is low is ****ing annoying. I need to suck less.
    • Leon felt easy for Proud but I’m over leveled and have played this game too many times tbh.
    • The Disney villain Illuminati scenes are top tier nonsense.
    • Wtf is happening with Sora when he sees Kairi in Merlin’s House? The poor boy’s having visions, probably from the trauma of seeing his friends, family and home sucked into an enormous black hole. That or he got a second hand puff of some of Merlin’s herb.
    • Popping to Olympus to pick up Thunder before I head to Wonderland. Always feels useful to have it early and only takes 15 minutes.
    • Damn. The Gummi gameplay didn’t age well, but I’ll wait until I’ve done the missions (the last thing I’ve never done in this game) before I pass judgement.
    • There are so many NPCs compared to other games in the series. I love that you can talk to them multiple times, too. Gives me PS1 era FF vibes, which makes sense since this game followed that.
    • Getting Thunder from Olympus was the right call after running into those lightning flowers in Wonderland forest.
    • At Deep Jungle. People hate on this world for its awkward design but I’m a big fan. Props to the music, story, vine mini game and beautiful waterfall map.
    • Love the cooking side quests at the Camp. The more interaction the better.
    • I laughed when Jane was surprised Sora could speak English and wasn’t related to Tarzan. Like no one related to Tarzan would have that many zippers.
    • Clayton’s smile will forever be the creepiest cutscene smile.
    • Cringe story incoming, I used to try to style my hair like Cloud. It usually ended up looking like one big horn rather than anything like his. I’m bringing this up because I just beat him at Olympus.

3. Roxas OG

• Agrabah is how far I got the first time I ever played KH. It was also my first all-nighter! I rented it from Blockbuster with a friend who had a PS2, needless to say I sold my GameCube and had a PS2 not long after and one of my life’s biggest obsessions began.
    • The Disney villains are woven so much more deftly into the plot in this game than later installments. They each have their own goals while trying to achieve something bigger.
    • Wow, the Agrabah music really sparks some nostalgia. This was always a favorite world of mine.
    • I used to grind so much in JRPGs it’s ridiculous. If this was 15 years ago I’d probably be 10 levels higher with double the in game clock time.
    • Idgaf what you think, Aladdin’s outfit hits.
    • My roommate being able to quote every line from these cutscenes is cracking me up (we actually played KH together the first time we met over 20 years ago)
    • This game has a wild array of voice actors. I guess that’s that Disney cash doing its work but wow, is this the most star-studded cast in video game history?
    • Wow, I need to grind.
    • Total side note but it annoys me how many old romantic relationships I had connected to KH. Hard not to randomly think about those ex’s while playing.
    • Omg, editing the Gummi Ship. WHY IS THIS SO HARD
    • My roommate did it. All is well.
    • Wow, forgot the pots drop Mythril Shards. Might just hang about for an hour farming them off the Pot Centipede. Imagine dying in the middle of the fight though LOL

4. Roxas OG

• Whoever designed Monstro was on something.
    • Ok that was actually relatively simple to get through... After enough times you just know it I guess. But the visuals here are still whack.
    • This carrot juice mini game in the 100 Acre Wood is pissing me off because it reminds me of how shafted this world was in KH3.
    • All that for a Mythril Shard. ****’s sake.
    • The Torn Pages should always be a thing.
    • I LOVE that the Coliseum gives EXP in this game. Why take that out?
    • I’m getting Atlantica out of the way. Ugh lol. I’m looking forward to Halloween Town more so might as well save it, though.
    • I know people have complained about Atlantica enough, but the world design here is bleak. A couple of big fumbles here from Monstro straight into Atlantica. This has similar problems with the color scheme (everything’s the same) and the confusing maze-like structure. In retrospect the control scheme isn't that bad, but maybe they tightened it up in the HD Remasters.
    • Ariel’s Grotto is a beautiful map. The music and detailing are both incredible. Can't believe this exists in this drab world.

5. Roxas OG

• Triton’s a ****ing hardass.
    • Is him knowing about the Keyblade wielders still unresolved? I haven’t played all of the mobile game so maybe someone meets him there.
    • And if he’s trying to hide his palace in any way, shape or form, a bunch of tridents pointing directly there probably isn’t the best idea.
    • That world was way too difficult to navigate. I swear I went round the same loop five times.
    • Man, I ****ing love mage builds. Spellbinder + Thunder is running the game.
    • Ursula's eyes in the boss fight are so ****ing hot.
    • Halloween Town has a cool layout. This is a huge step up from Monstro and Atlantica.
    • Synthesis in this game is way too addicting. Although the new enemies can be really annoying. On that note, I need to be ready to do a big farm after Neverland.

6. Roxas OG

• Halloween Town is easily a top 3 Disney world in this game.
    • It’s funny to think that in the PS2 version of this game, if you missed the Trinity at Oogie’s mansion, you couldn’t go back and get it and thus could never complete Jiminy’s Journal. Like damn…
    • I actually know where to go in this world because it’s done in KH1 speedruns, which I’ve been watching often while playing this game.
    • It just hit me - I forgot to take the free items off Ariel. They should still be there but wow, I’m a n00b gamer compared to my younger, RPG destroying self who would have never missed that.
    • Don’t forget the Elixir you get for pulling on Jack’s doorbell 3 times.
    • Just got my first Stone synthesis item. The one in Deep Jungle isn’t too bad.
    • I didn’t forget Jack’s items. Two Ethers are nice.
    • Nothing gets me more aroused than an MP ^ when you level up.
    • “I knew Oogie was behind this!” Uh, yeah *****, who the **** else did you think it was gonna be?
    • This is probably my 20th or so play through of this game and I think that was the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve ever used a Cottage. These are actually ****ing good though.
    • Damn, I know you have to kill them in the order Lock, Shock, Barrel to get max EXP in this boss fight but I don’t remember who is who. I’ve lost my KH touch over the years.
    • This game has some seriously awkward level designs. I’m at Neverland and it’s more obvious here than ever.

7. Roxas OG

• Even when overleveled as **** Hook is still a pain in the ass.
    • I have like 11 MP right now though, this is getting ridiculous.
    • Not really looking forward to the Stone grind after this, but it’ll be nice to get it over with I guess…
    • REALLY hoping I remember to come back to Neverland and open the correct clock tower doors every hour.
    • Riku seeing the Keyhole as a kid after Neverland was added in Final Mix, right? What a crazy scene.
    • Maleficent is a grooming ass hoe. Poor Riku.
    • I’ve remembered 4 clock towers while doing random side quests like getting chests, Stones, Trinities and Coliseum.
    • Add 100 Acre Wood to that list. Doing the last Torn Page right now. There’s so much you can complete before Hollow Bastion in terms of side quests, it’s crazy.
    • Going for Hercules cup alone. I’m telling you, the Coliseum having EXP in this game makes it so much more addicting. That never should have changed in KH2.
    • Got the Time Limit for Hercules by using a more balanced Strength/MP build so I could cut down time on Cloud and Hercules.
    • Synthesized 18 items already, plus got all the stones for the next things I need. So all I really need now are Crystals and I’m done with the next set.
    • Holy ****. My Gummi Ship got wrecked on the way to Hollow Bastion. I can’t believe this is what’s holding me back right now.
    • That’s 8 clock tower rewards done now. I don’t even know if this is a trophy tbh but I’m doing everything I can remember that’s in the game.

8. Roxas OG

• Hollow Bastion is the world that MADE this game.
    • Wow, gathering the 4 fractured bits of the Heartless symbol at the beginning of Hollow Bastion is PEAK 2000s Square puzzle design.
    • Scratch that, this book puzzle in the library is actual peak Square puzzle design.
    • It’s Maleficent time.
    • Wow, that was easy. I am way too OP from all that side questing after Neverland.
    • I remember when Maleficent Dragon into Riku 2 was the hardest thing in video games.
    • Mushu time baby! As if I really need something that broken right now.
    • Could probably skip this cutscene before Riku 2 tbh, saw it a trillion times as a wee boy.
    • Wow… the scene where Sora saves Kairi might be the best in the game. That music is so good.
    • OATHKEEPER!
    • End of the World Pog. The last 4-5 worlds in this game are dark af aren’t they? Wtf.
    • It looks like the Giant Crevasse is made of lost Gummi blocks.
    • Got to the end of that world easy. Hades Cup time I guess.

9. Roxas OG

• It’s actually hilarious how easy it is to miss Curaga in this game. You have to talk to Aerith three times AFTER beating HB… like, thank god I had no guide back then.
    • It’s time for the side quest gambit. Hades Cup and Ice Titan are done. Might do some Stone + Serenity Power grinding now that I have Diamond Dust since the MP boost is so good.
    • Currently on Kurt Zisa. After this, probably gonna do Phantom, then Synthesis, then Sephiroth + Unknown. Then I’ll look at the trophy list and see what I need to do.
    • Ok I got distracted by the Speed Run + Unchanging Equipment trophies - I started a new file on Beginner and made it to End of the World in about 2 and a half hours. My save there is right before Ansem. I wanna keep going for 100% in the other file though so gonna bench this.
    • One little thing that would have been cool? Having the Disney characters have more than one weapon. Like at least one of those random Gummi block chests could have had one.
    • Prepping for Phantom, I have 18 MP LMAO
    • Still took 3 tries, though…

10. Roxas OG

• Ultima is mine. I must be closing in on the plat by now.
    • Wow, of course Atlas Armlets need Dark Matters. Imagine having 3 of them, though… lol nah, there’s nothing in this game even close to hard enough to make that worth it.
    • How the **** did I miss a blue trinity?
    • Ok, Jiminy’s Journal done. This game has a really good postgame. All the side bosses were REALLY fulfilling.
    • Ansem: “Here you won’t find even a glimmer of light.” Dude, the door to KH is ****ing white.
    • Wow. I just beat Ansem and what did I get from my level up? Second Chance. I literally just did all of that on Proud without Second Chance. Nice.
    • This game had such a wholesome story compared to the others.
    • Way less complex, too.
    • There’s something sweet and charming about it which I love, and the memories I have attached to this game are also monumental and sometimes hard to process while playing the game itself.
    • It’s probably not the best In the series but it tells the perfectly condensed story while hinting at a bigger plot.
    • That scene with Sora and Kairi is so memorable. I must have watched that a million times as a kid…
    • Oh and the cave scene before the credits. That one can make you cry lol. Great ending to a great game.
    • I still have some trophies to get but I can already say this game comes in at a solid 9/10. I wish I could give it a higher rating but some of the world design is a bit suspect. Despite that, the overall atmosphere, RPG elements and mystery are enough to make this one of the best games in the series. There are some campy moments that I overlooked for years that made me laugh now, but that’s part of the charm.
    • Ok, only one more trophy for this file to go - reach level 100.
    • That took about 45 minutes with all 4 EXP equipment on. Started around level 84 for reference
    • Gonna beat the speed run/no changing equipment/no continue file tomorrow, but then I'll finally have the plat for KH1FM

11. Roxas OG

This game had so much charm and character. It tells a cheesy but cute story and has a perfect soundtrack to fit the mood. It isn't afraid to get dark, but it still has that Disney touch. I'd say this is the KH game that feels the most like a Disney movie. There's a lot mystery that keeps you plugging along, and the Disney worlds seem woven into the story fairly well. The FF characters feel like more than fan service, and this game does both franchises justice. There are some odd choices, like certain world's designs - Monstro and Atlantica come to mind. But even then, this game has some of the best worlds in the entire series - Traverse Town and Hollow Bastion are just crazy! You can feel the love oozing out of this game, and I love the amount of details they put into the maps.

Square wasn't afraid to experiment here and the end result is fantastic when it isn't awkward. The game play holds up insanely well - Sora feels heavy and his main ground and air combos feel tuned. Donald and Goofy actually get in for damage and can properly heal when you set up their AI. I loved all the Collectibles, Synthesis and Coliseum (this game easily has the best one) - though the lack of a Chests page in Jiminy's Journal did disturb me. Some of the music in certain worlds was repetitive and mind-numbing. I didn't really mind the camera - which I know many hate. I'm good at blocking that stuff out with my brain though, so who knows.

This game isn't perfect, no... but it's the perfect start to the series. Yeah, it's a little rough around the edges, but it sets up the series that would go on to take Square 20 years to "finish" while still telling its own unique tale that doesn't need all the other games to exist. No wonder it captured the hearts of so many people, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are many more who would fall in love with this series if they were to stumble upon this game. I'm excited to see where this lands in my all time list of games in the series, and I imagine it will end high. It is, after all, the game that started my obsession with this series, which brought me here to this website, and which led me to meet so many great people online. I'll see you again for the next game in the series, Re:Chain of Memories.

12. tawhid Moogle Assistant

Thank you so much for all these details and informations.