Anime Kill la Kill

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Bite the Dust, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Seeing Ryuko almost single-handedly avenge her dad & ruin Nui was so fulfilling. The whole inexplicable bond between Satsuki & the Elite Four and Ryuko & the Mankanshokus was so heartwarming and seeing Ryuko and Satsuki work together was just so perfect. It's setting up the final showdown beautifully and I can only wait for what I'm confident will be a great conclusion to an amazing anime.

2. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

Please don't ask me how much I love this show.
    Just don't.

I LOVE THIS SHOW.

It's so sad that it's ending sooon! ;-;

3. Bite the Dust Traverse Town Homebody

Updated the OP with Episode Titles beyond Episode 16. There are no links to what the episode titles reference because I haven't looked for all of them. I will eventually get around to finding them when I have the wherewithal to do so. Anyways, this Anime's run has been great and, while this last episode could have been a bit better paced, was an excellent series overall. We'll be getting an OVA Episode that will be included with the Final Volume of the DVD/BD release of Kill la Kill, so we still have something to look forward to from this show. My guess is that it will be an episode dedicated to showing how everyone's lives have been since the finale, which would be nice to see. Although, I hope that it might be set up a possible season 2. We'll see when September rolls around.

In regards to the future of this anime, I ask all of you that have watched this show: "Would you like to see a dub of Kill la Kill? If so, which actors would you want to see voice which characters?"

Personally, I think Sam Riegel should voice Sanageyama, to mirror how his Japanese voice is also the voice of Viral in TTGL.

4. Hayabusa Venomous

That finale....hot damn.

Kill la Kill gets a spot in my favorite anime ever. It's just so damn good.

More detail:

Senketsu's death...that hit me deeply. He was always there for Ryuuko, and she couldn't have saved the world, or accomplished really any of her goals, without him. I loved just how much symbiosis there was between the two characters. It felt so fitting that he died in the end; he achieved what he wanted personally, and he knew Ryuuko wouldn't need him to develop any longer, even if the two were such good friends. At least he went out with a grand final battle.

I'm eager to see the OVA now.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  5. Plums Wakanda Forever

SAME

I will admit, I am slightly disappointed with the finale.

I thought that Satsuki should have had more of a place in the final battle against Ragyo, since she was the one who drove Ryuko to be prepared, has been planning this for years, and has spent the most time under Ragyo and what not. I do understand that Ryuko and Senketsu were the only ones capable of taking her down, but Satsuki got too sidelined in the showdown she had a rather huge right to be a part of, imo.

I was also kinda eh about Nui offing herself without much of a fight. After causing so much **** for the characters, threatening Mako all the time, and then "killing" Gamagori, I at least wanted to see her get beat up by either the E4 or Mako heavily before doing it. I also kinda wish Hououmaru had some more stuff going on for her, the only thing she was really important for (for like 10 minutes at that) was just an energy core for Shinra Koketsu & NGE reference.

Even the explanation about Senketsu being a fake Kamui felt a little shoe horned in. They did say before that he was made of synthetic Life Fibers, but what does that mean? How did Doc Matoi make fake Life Fibers? I'm guessing Satsuki heard him now because Life Fibers were silenced out, which could explain how Tsumugu did way back when, but it still felt pretty rushed through

All that said, I'm still really happy with the ending. Gamagori Gunmen was tight, Senketsu Fashion Week was hella, Ryumako was helal tight, and Satsuki running to catch Ryuko then everyone ending up in a huge pile together all naked was amazing.

BUT LET'S TALK ABOUT BROKETSU
    He was such a good character, and although his introduction was sleezy, he does not deserve the hate he gets for that at all. Senketsu, just as much as Satsuki & Mako, was crucial to Ryuko's development, and was a grand character all his own. RIP Senketsu, you went out with a bang and fought the good fight you were meant to and, most importantly, wanted.

And
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

IF ANIME HAS EVER BEEN PUT IN DANGER WHETHER IT BE PAST, PRESENT, OR FUTURE
    SHORT HAIRED SATSUKI KIRYUIN SINGLE-HANDEDLY SAVED IT ALL BEST WOMAN ∞

Even though the plot is pretty wacky and a couple of things not explained as well as it could have, Kill la Kill has been really satisfying to watch and I am looking forward to that OVA in the future. Easily the best anime this past season, and one of my favorites overall.

6. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Kill la Kill is one of those rare anime I watch that I end up connecting with most if not all of the characters, and am sad that it ends. I very rarely am sad to see an anime go, but with Kill la Kill, I was incredibly sad that it's already over.

All of the characters were so fabulously written, and it's hard to pick a favorite, but out of all of them, Sanageyama, Nonon, and Satsuki come out on top for me.

Anyway, as far as the finale goes, a bit too fast-paced, but a great conclusion to the series.

English cast wise, I think:

Kyle Herbert as Uzu Sanageyama
    Laura Bailey as Ragyo Kiryuuin

That's all I've got, but I'd love to see an English dub, because Aniplex of America has done an outstanding job of licensing dubs in the past, most notably Fullmetal Alchemist.

7. Bite the Dust Traverse Town Homebody

Quick update to let you all know that the 19 second preview of the upcoming OVA is out.

EPISODE 25 PREVIEW

Here's a quick translation of what the preview tells us. (I'm not including anything beyond the the Episode Title because it basically tells you that it will be available with the 9th and final volume of the Blu-Ray and DVD release)

The sisters' fight against fate is over. However, there is one last story left to tell, and that is the story of the Honnouji Academy's Class Graduation. Kill la Kill, Episode 25, One Last Goodbye.

THE FIGHT
    IS OVER

STORY

GRADUATION STORY

EPISODE 25:
    ONE LAST
    GOODBYE

8. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I had followed Kill La Kill for the most part during the Fall season but didn't really care much after episode 15. I thought the show was okay at that time--a bit too over the top for my taste, but I didn't find anything honestly bad about it. I decided to catch up on it today, and I'm glad that I did. I felt that a lot of the episodes I watched were kinda...meh. I mean, they had tons of twists put in, most of them being glaringly obvious. It wasn't until episode 20 where I really got into it. And when I watched the finale, I thought it was very well done and better than what I expected it to do when I started my marathon.

For a long time, I was having a hard time telling if the show was taking itself too seriously. I mean, c'mon, it's a show about clothes from outer space. It wasn't until they basically repeated the line "We don't make sense" where it hit me that this show didn't take itself serious. It didn't have its head up its ass; it knew exactly what it was from the get go. From that point, I was really able to enjoy it, laughing along with things that were supposed to be funny along with when they attempted to try something serious.

I really like how it ended too. It's how an action series should end. It had great action, well animated, and an interesting way of taking down the big bad. It had me really sucked in, which is what I feel the finale of any show should do.

9. Mako Mankanshoku Moogle Assistant

OH MY LORD, This anime *^* At first, I wasn't sure whether to start it or not, due to the fan service, but in the end I couldn't be happier that I gave it a chance.

THAT ENDING
    The feels man, they were all too real ;A; But before I get into that. I must say, Ryuuko's outfit at the end dawg. It has a power level over 9000

The Super Saiyan was real, All Too REAL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was the most awesome thing EVER when everyone gave her their powers. Although it was pretty predictable that Ryuuko would end up fighting her mother in a final big explosive type battle, I was not expecting to go down the way it did at all.
    This moment specifically made me know that Ryuuko had won the battle even before all this mess had started, even before she had found senketsu
    [​IMG]

Oh Dr.Matoi, he had everything figured out. I applaud that man.

And the most feely part of the whole entire episode, the part that made my screen blurry.... Senketsu ;A; TT^TT Damn it, why did he have to go DDD: As he was disappearing and sharing his last few moments with ryuuko, I felt as though I had one of those moments where you are so into the anime that anything that happens makes it seem like it is the end of the whole world. In that moment, my world ended ;A;
    [​IMG]

Not to mention this:
    [​IMG]
    It was soooooooooooo KAWAII DESUU~~~~~ >//////////<

Last but certainly not least, the very end credits. That moment when Ryuuko thought she saw senkestu and it was just a little girl ;A; oh my lord TT^TT Not to mention Satsuki makeover~~~~
    [​IMG]

Overall, I give this anime a 10 because it was such a perfect mix of everything. I have never witnessed so many plot twists in one anime before, and they kept the anime interesting and me yearning for more. Oh the struggle of waiting week after week :[ Thank you KLK creators for the wonderful emotional ride~

10. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Please no

Please god no

Honestly I'm terrified for the dub because I know Funi's just gonna pull from their usual line-up and... they don't have voices to fit almost any of these characters. (Except Kari Wahlgren as Nonon obvs) I'm praying they bring in some new blood, but they're not known to audition.

11. Bite the Dust Traverse Town Homebody

Really. Have you seen their casts lately? I don't even know more than half of the cast from the Attack on Titan dub Funi is doing, and there's only a handful from their usual picks. Attack on Titan is gonna mark the first time Bryce Papenbrook has worked with Funi at all, so that's definitely something, and I'm not too sure how many times Matt Mercer has worked with them, but I don't think it's been that many times. So if Funi does get the rights to dub it, which is a very slim chance, I wouldn't doubt the quality of it.

12. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I only suggested Kyle as Uzu because he did Kamina in Gurren Lagann, and he has the kind of cocky voice to him. Laura... Well okay, someone else could be a better choice. But to be fair, they have been pulling a lot of fresh vouces, as stated above, so perhaps some of those would work as well.

13. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Hey, props to them, but AoT is also a big effin' deal so they probably pulled out all the stops. Matt Mercer seems relatively out there, but Bryce Papenbrook has been in plenty of stuff already: He was Masaomi Kida in DRRR!!, he's currently playing Okumura Rin in Blue Exorcist, he played Kirito in Sword Art Online... He's not a risk.

If Viz Media gets it, it's really the same issue; no one in the industry is really compelled to seek new talent since the current VAs like their jobs and the market's always been a little precarious. It's stabilized significantly since the early days but it's still not a world where people wanna take risks. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

14. Bite the Dust Traverse Town Homebody

Well, it seems that a dub is going to happen. There really isn't much known about the dub other than that it will be premiered at Anime Expo in two months and that the scriptwriter, Animation director, Ami Koshimizu, Ryoka Yuzuki, the producer, and Eir Aoi are going to be there. It's likely we'll be getting more info as we get closer to the actual dates. But it's happening. This is not a dream.

With the announcement of the dub, I have to ask: Are you excited for it? Any worries about things getting lost in translation? Would you want them to change the on-screen text to English or keep it in Japanese with English text superimposed over it? Would you want the dub to air on Toonami? Specific people/voices you want on the dub cast? Specific people/voices you don't want on the dub cast? Why or why not?

Here are a few personal choices for voice actors:

Nonon Jakuzure - Kari Wahlgren (You're free to think anyone else can voice her, but you're wrong and I hate you)
    Hoka Inumuta - Lucien Dodge
    DiscoMILF Ragyo Kiryuin - Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

15. Plums Wakanda Forever

Vic Mignogna needs to be Ragyo, I can accept no other reality.

Anyway, a dub for Kill la Kill, while to be expected, is still a little shocking given the ecchi-ness of the show, lol. I mean, I guess they could put it on Toonami, especially since that's more a part of Adult Swim than Cartoon Network at this point. I have no clue who I want anyone in the dub to be (aside Kari Wahlgren as Nonon and DiscoMignogna). There's voices I want them to get right, like Sangeyama and Gamagori, and I will be livid if Ryuko, Satsuki, and/or Mako have poor voice direction. They're probably the top 3 voices that need to be handled well.

I will say that I think Benjamin Anderson, the guy who wrote the lyrics & gave the vocals for I Want to Know & Suck Your Blood, could be a good fit for Senketsu.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  16. Bite the Dust Traverse Town Homebody

ATTENTION, PIGS IN HUMAN CLOTHING!!!

We have a release date for the DVDs and Blu-Rays of the English dub as well as the cast and a trailer. The DVDs and Blu-Rays will go on sale July 15th, with pre-orders available as of today.

ENGLISH CAST:

Ryuko Matoi​
    Erica Mendez​
    Senketsu​
    David Vincent​
    Satsuki Kiryuin​
    Carrie Keranen​
    Mako Mankanshoku​
    Christine Marie Cabanos​
    Ira Gamagoori​
    Patrick Seitz​
    Uzu Sanageyama​
    Grant George​
    Houka Inumuta​
    Steve Cannon​
    Nonon Jakuzure​
    Sarah Anne Williams​
    Aikuro Mikisugi​
    Matthew Mercer​
    Barazo Mankanshoku​
    Michael Sorich​
    Sukuyo Mankanshoku​
    Erika Harlacher​
    Mataro Mankanshoku​
    Lindsey Eaton​
    Shiro Iori​
    Todd Haberkorn​

Now the obvious questions have to be asked: Are you satisfied with the voice acting? Do you think they could've done better with the casting? Are you happy that they are using "Goku Uniform" instead of whatever mangled translation it could've been?

Personally, I think that Satsuki could've been cast better. Her voice actress doesn't quite have the commanding, authoritative voice she should have. Nonon sounds surprisingly great for not being Kari Wahlgren. Senketsu's voice could've been more gruff. I've never heard of Steve Cannon, though he's as monotone as he should be, so no complaints here. I've also never heard of Erica Mendez, but a quick search on the net showed me that she's relatively pretty new to anime and voice acting in general. She does a pretty good job of voicing Ryuko, though I'll have to hear more to really decide whether or not I like her. Gamagoori is perfect. No comments there. As long as Matt Mercer does the Nudist Beach thing right, we have no problems. Grant George as Sanageyama fits pretty well, I actually kinda like it. And Mako sounds as much as girly girl as she possibly can, so I'm happy with that, even though the pronunciation of her family name is a little awkward sounding at first.

17. Hayabusa Venomous

Yeah, the English dub is what I expected: half-decent, half-shit. Only Sanageyama and Jakuzure sounded good to me from the trailer, with Mako, Gamagoori, and Inumuta being just ok (well, I'm a little more lenient with Mako; she fits alright.) I mean, the voice actress for Satsuki is clearly trying, but I don't get the same notion of confidence and dominance from her. Mikisugi is whatever.

My two biggest gripes though?

Senketsu...ugh. His voice actor sounds just like Johnny Yong Bosch, which was one of my most feared casting decisions (not because I hate the dude, but because the fucking English dub guys keep sticking him in roles THAT DON'T FIT HIS VOICE. Seriously, he was great as Lelouch in Code Geass, but he shouldn't be used just because he's popular.) Senketsu's English voice now sounds way too young and inexperienced for Senketsu's character.

Ryuuko...she just sounds kinda bland. Nowhere near as bold as she should sound for the character. I can tell her voice actress is trying (as I said with Satsuki,) but it just isn't working; it sounds like she's trying too hard.

As for using Goku Uniform: expected, so don't really care about that decision.

18. 61 No. B

That's... alright I guess. Not that I'm going to watch it so I don't have a stake in it, but I guess it could be worse.
    Satsuki sounds... fine. Ryuko sounds not good. Senketsu sounds laughably bad. Like they couldn't get Bosch so they got the guy with the best Bosch impersonation.

I wish they had gotten the guy who did Viral for Sanageyama.

19. EmilyCupcakeee Merlin's Housekeeper

Watched it around 2 months ago. Really good. The art style bugged me for a bit, but now I really love it. The English dub seems pretty good from the trailer ive seen too!

20. Bite the Dust Traverse Town Homebody

Alright, I've had a chance to sit down and watch the four episodes of the KLK dub that are out now because Aniplex is soooooooooooo generous and I've found that almost all of the voices fit the characters very well. After only watching one episode, I already got used to the voices. The only voice out of the bunch that I had a gripe with was Senketsu's. I'm pretty sure they are trying a different approach on the character over here, but I just couldn't get used to the voice over the course of the 4 episodes.

Also, watching the dub helped point out one of the background jokes that happened in episode 4. I had no idea that the girl behind Ryuko was commenting on Gamagoori sleeping in the nude. I had to go watch it in Japanese to hear if she did it there too and sure enough, she did. So there's that.