Working on It KHV Movie Club?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Scarred Nobody, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I know that it has been tried in the past, in a few different forums, and just didn't keep, but I would like to recommend maybe trying it once more. Film is something that just about everybody can get into for one reason or another. Maybe it's just something that's completely entertaining to you and nothing else. Maybe you love to analyze film and look for the deeper meaning. Or you're somewhere in the middle. My recommendation for a KHV Movie Club would be a good place to have discussion about a particular film for a certain period of time.

The practice would be similar to the old book club, but with film. It would first start out with a recommendation/voting process. Those who want to participate recommend a film. I would say for this, make it a movie that is available on Netflix. It's something that just about everybody uses, and there are always other means to see said movie (personal collection, borrowing, libraries, etc). With that, they would also post the MPAA rating, genre, a trailer, and maybe a short note if the submitter so wishes to.

Ex.
    Bernie (PG-13) (Comedy/Crime)
    Official Trailer
    Stars Jack Black and Mathew McConaughey

When it comes to Rated-R movies, I know it's a touchy subject. While this is a site centered around a video game aimed at children, most of the members here are mature enough to see such content. When it comes to these films, it'll be on an individual process. For example: if The Conjuring were ever up on Netflix, I wouldn't object to putting it on the list despite it being rated R since it contains no sex, isn't that violent, and no swearing (I still stay up at night wondering why it's rated R in the first place); however, we wouldn't watch things like The Human Centipede 2 (although that would be an interesting discussion).

After enough movies are submitted, we'll have a poll to decide which movie will be chosen (the poll will be up for about three days). Then, after we have picked a winner, a thread will be created for that movie for discussion and such, and will last for about two weeks (depending on film popularity, discussion, etc.). Posts in these threads could range from how a person felt about the film, debating over the ending, if it's a musical, maybe doing a cover of the song; basically anything that contributes. Then, the process repeats itself.

I woulldn't mind volunteering doing the work for this. I feel it would be nice to have something like this as an option. One thing I find as a huge advantage is that it'll get people to watch and discover something they might not have heard of or skipped otherwise.

2. Shuhbooty moon child

I actually love this idea. My friends and I do this from time to time but I never thought about it as a club or doing reviews on it. And with the whole 'video recording' I wouldn't mind just talking about my review via video. ;a; Plus! I have Netflix. And I browse movies everyday in hope of getting something really good.

3. Stardust Chaser

Actually, the staff has had a movie club in the planning stages for a little while now! So far what's planned is actually very similar to your idea. Keep an eye out for it in the near future & if you're interested in volunteering to help, I'd be happy to try and work it out so members can volunteer to help run it.

Meantime, I'm going to go ahead and leave this thread open in case you guys have questions or suggestions, so feel free c: .

4. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Awesome! And I would be glad to help out in any way that I can.

5. Cherry Berry Chaser

Oooooh count me in!

This sounds like such a wonderful idea!

Though, just a quick clarification before I stop bugging you (sorry!)!

In terms of said movie to watch, would members have to watch the film at their own time, and then discuss in the movie thread within a 2 week time frame? Will the musical score of the movie also be allowed in the discussion?:3

6. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

While I can't speak for what staff has in mind, my own idea would be that members would watch the movie on their own time since it's based around Netflix instead of doing a live stream for people. some members may want watching the movie to be a bit more of a social thing, which I would say to get a group of members on skype, everyone having netflix open, and starting the movie at the same time (Host would say "Okay guys, three, two, one, play").

As for musical scores, I would say that's also important to the discussion. In many movies, the score is an essential part of the film, almost like it's another character, and it's something that helps make the movie something special.

7. Stardust Chaser

Members watching the movie on their own was also what we had in mind, although we've been tossing around ideas for things like periodic streams as well c:. And absolutely, any aspect of the film would be up for discussion.

8. NemesisPrime Hollow Bastion Committee

Could we include live-action Japanese movies?

Cause I'd love to show some Tokusatsu films like Gokaiger Goseiger 199 Heroes, Kamen Rider etc.