Fandub [KHV] KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep (TGS 2009 Fandub)

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Mike, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Love Kingdom Keeper

In a world where the sunset casts slender shadows
    I thought it went really well, all accept for Aqua's voice was a little too high pitched I thought. Aqua,being much older then kairi I thoughther voice would be alittle more womanly, but whatever thats my opinion,Im not trying to start a riot or anything. Just a simple suggestion.

Besides that matter it was pretty well done =)

2. greater_bloo Gummi Ship Junkie

really? that was your first fan dub? lol you were great! xD...I'm not much of an expert on fan dubbing so i dont really have any problems with your performance but when you were doing Captain Hook's part i heard a bit of puffs into the microphone so for future reference distance yourself a bit more from the mic when saying things with b's and p's such as "but"

lol and i don't really post in forums so i was responding to Genshie if this just appears in some random place

other than that AWESOMENESS!...is that a word? *checks internet* hmm...its in urbandictionary.com SO IT MUST BE RIGHT! lol jk
    anyways awesome job everyone you have all officially raised my anticipation level of the game which is not out until sometime next year SO SHAME ON YOU FOR MAKING ME WANT SOMETHING SO FAR AWAY! lol jk yup i'm a kidder always was always will be...
    ...*watches fan dub trailer again*

lol curse my kh-vids.net forum noobness somehow my two responses were combined into one...

3. Genshie Merlin's Housekeeper

Thank you for the advice, I have prior experience as an actor so doing various different characters/persona is not to hard for me. I did the smart thing, I think I already mentioned this in a previous thread but, I sent multiple attempts to Mike and had him choose which one he liked the most. Besides that thanks again for the advice, I will make sure not to have the mic so close. (I am using a Rock band mic from the Beatles edition, which in general is really good to use. Except I notice if I have to close the noise sounds muffled)

4. Firechakram Traverse Town Homebody

Yeah, I didn't expect the voices to be very good. It's ok, but I wish more effort was made to make the lines fit the lip movements of the characters.

5. Mike Chaser

I think I can speak for the team that we all would like advice on our voice overs for the characters in the video. As for me, I wanted to know what you guys thought about my lines for the role as Ven.

Edit: For my team, some members at VAA have added their opinions on each role. You may want to read what they wrote. http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/showthread.php?t=48687

The reviews are in!

6. Genshie Merlin's Housekeeper

Fire do you understand that these lines are almost a direct translation? Do you understand that when games get translated most of the time alot of lines are changed purely out the fact that the pure translation is bad and or doesn't fit the lip sync?

Anyway, notes to self work on Hook, Doc fine, and pull back mic when recording to reduce popping.

WOW GUYS 1,011 views, and increasing, in less than two days.

7. The Hallstar Moogle Assistant

Just been watching the video and absolutely loved it, so here is my critique, using kissy-sensei's style :-P (my apologies)

iwuzhere9 as Aeleus/Lexeaus: I didnt think you was that bad, i quite liked your voice. However you may want to try to find ways of making your voice sound much more intimidating for a man Lexeaus size, but well done on your first attempt.

Kissy-Senseigh as Aqua: ive actually always enjoyed watching you in the trailers, i think you are a good voice actress, particurely in this one. The opening part was very well delievered and I enjoyed it :D nice work

Mike (CGNET) as Announcer: I liked this, though for some reason i wanted it to sound much more slower and quieter (i dunno weird tastes i spose lol) but well done :)

Genshie as Captain Hook: for me personally, i dont think your voice suited Hook. To me it sounds alot like Gaston (who i'd think youd pull off very well thinking about it), it just doesnt sound like the captain. Nice try though :)

Daelyn as Cinderella: Its hard to comment on just sound effects, but your crying I thought was very well done, it is bloody hard to fake cry (trust me I know) so very well done to you and I look forward to hearing your voice properly :D

Genshie [again] as Doc: Alot better than Captain Hook, this voice suited Doc perfectly, though I do agree your mic problems were very noticeable here.

Ryusuke as Eraqus: I really loved your voice for this character, I dont think there is much to comment on, your voice is perfect for the role :D very well done.

Zeftnon - The Superior as Even/Vexen: again i really liked this voice, to me sounded just right for the character, for me personally id say keep the accent for Even and, if it happens in the game, lose the accent so the distinction between the two characters is more pronounced (again thats if his transformation in Vexen happens in the game).

Usako as GodMother: sounded brilliant line-wise, though i must agree that your mic volume was too loud, though well done :D

Hlmactiii as King Mickey: this, in my opnion, was going to be the toughest gig in my opnion, you have got alot to live up to, and personally, you did very well :D, sounded really like the old Mickey we all know and loved and look forward to seeing you do some lines later on :D

The Hallstar as Master Xehanort: And now to me :-P, personally i didnt think I was as good as the last trailer (it came at the worst time when my show was in production for college :( but what can you do :-P) but I thought it was serviceable. Also something ive been looking on at khv-vids.net, it seems to be that out of most of the cast im the most hated VA :-P, to be fair though many of the comments have made me laugh my head off, the best of which was:

this had me and several VAA friends in stitches to this day :-P, I know my voice may not sound old enough but be fair, I am only 20 years old :D, and I work with what I have and that if I wasn't good enough do you really think Mike would of picked me for this job? Overall not bad but there are still areas I need to improve on :) (and thank you Kissy-Sensei and Ryusuke for your comments )

Refi-chan [again] as Queen: your manner of speaking was spot on for the part, however i think you need to make your voice sound more powerful and possibly add a touch of menace into the mix, then she will be fantastic :)

Geezernort's Apprentice as Stitch: I loved this voice, I know alot of people who do stitch's voice very well, so I was wondering if you was going to deliver, and you didnt disapoint :) well done

JetFire62 as Terra: like the godmothers I think your mic volume needs to be turned down a touch, so it fits with everyone elses, but overall im very impressed, and I enjoy listning to your voice in the videos :)

Lightofhope18 as Tinkerbell: theres no other words for it, cuteness personified :D, you are the perfect VA for Tinkerbell, very well done :D

Greater_bloo as Vanitas: another voice I really enjoyed listning to :D, it really matches what we know of the character thus far and is incredibly menacing :D great job.

Mike (CGNET) [again] as Ven: Ive said this from the word go, I like your voice for Ven, it really suits the character and i enjoy it immensely. My only nitpick is when you shout keyblade the sound sounded a little wonky (happens to us all) but very well done :D

Overall: My favourite trailer for Birth by Sleep so far and I was really impressed by the voice cast in this one. This is going to be a great fandub and I find it a privilage to be working on here :D Also I see alot of people saying they wished the voices match up to the characters mouths, you do realise that they are in a different language (rollseyes), and also give constructive criticism, cause all the comments saying stuff like

really do just make me laugh (espicially the australian pirate comment lol) so come on people, either give some contructive comments or just simply dont bother :)

Again well done to everyone in the cast :D

8. Misty gimme kiss

That was really excellent you guys. :]

I only have one critique:
    The battle cries sounded a bit awkward, (but then again, they always do), maybe just make the volume on that particular part a little lower than the rest of the talking.

Oh also, since this is the first time I'm seeing this promo, was that Aqua (who by the way, I loved the voice acting for) asking to try on the slipper? PRINCESS CONNECTION OHOHOHO. /obvious

9. Genshie Merlin's Housekeeper

I cannot stress how much I can say that this is my first fandubbing ever so I am really new to this so, the mic issue was a newbie mistake. (I honestly didn't know better) I will start reworking Hook from the ground up and rehearse rehearse rehearse with my family and friends to get it down right. I know how it goes, the fact that I was kind of nervous over the fact that since I never done this before I had to enter my final recordings to Mike as soon as possible so to not make him wait. Now I know better and I will take time, I will even ask others to listen to the recordings before I send them in. I appriciate all the constructive criticism, it will in the end only help me to improve my performance.

@Hallstar: Really Gaston? XD Well if he does appear in this I will make sure to send a audition for him straight away to Mike for him. But YES I WILL GET HOOK DOWN!!

10. Geezernorts_Apprentice Destiny Islands Resident

Thanks for the positive comments, Hallstar, Kissy-sensei and Ryusuke, I'm not really an impressions kinda guy, I'm more proficient with a variety of voices or accents, I wasn't certain my Stitch was good enough but I'm really pleased people liked it :D

EDIT: Not a member of VAA so I'll do my thoughts and opinions here:
    iwuzhere9 as Aeleus/Lexeaus: I think this was pretty good, you only had one line so it must have been hard to shine through, I think if Aeleus appears in the next video try sounding a little gruffer :D
    Kissy-Sensei as Aqua: I'm honestly surprised you're not confirmed as the VA for Aqua, your voice has the perfect mix of womanliness and that slightly younger sound which is perfect for Aqua's age, good job as always!

Mike (CGNET) as Announcer: This was good, nice touch, although the reading was a little fast but nothing bothersome :D

Genshie as Captain Hook: I liked some aspects of this but other's not so much. I won't mention the popping as you've already heard it about 200 times xD I could see where you were going with Hook but I think something didn't quite come through somewhere, very good for your first time though :D

Daelyn as Cinderella: I feel bad that I'm reviewing you on only crying, but it was damn good crying! It sounded like Cinderella and it was very authentic sounding, were you watching a really sad film when recording it? xD

Genshie as Doc: A very good rendition, the voice itself was nigh on perfect, again, not gonna mention the dreaded "P" word

Ryusuke as Eraqus: This is outstanding, suits Eraqus to the ground, good job!

Zeftnon - The Superior as Even/Vexen: Very impressed with this, sounded very similar to Vexen but I did notice some slight differences (whether purposeful or not I don't know) That made him distinctive

Usako as GodMother: Really a very good Fairy God Mother, volume was a little loud but you know that already :D

Hlmactiii as King Mickey: As with Cinderella, it's hard to give criticism for this voice as it's just shouting xD But it did sound exactly how Mickey would sound if he was screaming and falling into a whirlpool

The Hallstar as Master Xehanort: I don't know why so many people dislike your MX, it's really quite good and is a break from tradition of the bad guy sounded like a 1950's cartoon villain xD I liked the addition of a slightly gruffer sound in this dub though.

Refi-chan [again] as Queen: I like this, sounded a lot like her, next time just try a slightly older sound, to add more of a regal tone to her voice

Geezernort's Apprentice as Stitch: Here we go, self-criticism time xD. I was overal quite pleased with my performance although I don't think I quite got the pitch right, It would also have been better if I'd have sounded sadder on the "Friends...bonds" line

JetFire62 as Terra: Slightly louder than the rest of the voices but that's only a technical error, the voice itself suits Terra down to the ground and is exactly how I hope he sounds

Lightofhope18 as Tinkerbell: Perfection, you only had one line but it sounded so professional and your voice was so good that you really shone through.

Greater_bloo as Vanitas: Really good, suited Vanitas, the only problem I had was Vanitas didn't sound like he was in the same place as Ven but I'm guessing that's more down to mixing

Mike (CGNET) as Ven: I've been a big admirer of your Roxas work, you are a dead ringer voice wise for McCartney, if ever he stops doing KH you should get in there straight away!

Overall:This is the best fandub so far (Though of course I'm biased xD) I'm really looking forward to working with everyone in the future

11. Genshie Merlin's Housekeeper

Thanks for your input. I am now auditioning for more fandubs now which is giving me a chance to just practice in general. I have yet to pop in any of my newer entries thus far. Although when I am recording, even if it is good, if if I just here one major/obvious pop I scrap it and redo it.

12. Ol'Sephy Traverse Town Homebody

In a mako tank. God, it sucks being soaked in thi
    I gotta say, Mike, you pulled it off! I think there were more characters in this video than any of the other ones that you've done so far... And the lines had good delivery! I have to say, though, that I agree with the person who made the comment about Aqua's voice: she should sound older. More like Meg from Olympic Colosseum in KH2 is what I envisioned. Also, you should use more battle grunts and the like. Like when whoever it was who was moving really fast, (I couldn't catch who it was -- Terra or Ventus), there should have been a grunt for each movement, or darn near. Well, not EVERY movement, but you get my point.

On a side note, before I give my actor-by-actor review/critique, I gotta say, and I'm going to bold this for emphasis, (hehehehehe)...

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

It's either what they're looking for, or they're just not good at expressing their opinions without insulting people. If a person insults you or the dub, do as the Admins/Mods ALWAYS tell you to: IGNORE IT. It's better that way. If they have an opinion and they tell it insultingly, then ignore the insult, maybe tell them NICELY that you were offended, (for kind of an FYI thing), and answer their opinion -- not their flaming. Okay? Okay. c(:

Now... REVIEW TIME!

iwuzhere9
    I really liked your Aeleus (Lexeaus) VA. It induced the feeling like, "Okay, I gotta talk... Oh, well..." Well, he IS the Silent Hero...

Kissy-Sensei
    Like I said above, I think Aqua should sound older, but you did a good job with the emotion and inflection that was needed for her character, at least how it seems in the Japanese version. Plus, your battle noises were great! Were you doing the moves while recording...? JK c(:

Mike
    Well, Mike, you already know that I loved your Announcer voice. (lulz)

Your Ven is just as good as your Roxas, (I wonder why?), but I have one complaint, (well, critique, or whatever): you seemed to over-speak. An example is at the very start, when Ven goes, "huh," or something like that, when Aqua was tossing him the charm, you made it too loud. Also, when Ven and MX's Apprentice were having their little showdown, you said, "Keyblade?" too loud. Just something to look out for...

Genshie
    Cap. Hook made me LOL. xD He sounded like maybe you were the BETA VA, who was replaced with a different style, kinda. I totally could see Hook talking like that all the time! It's a different style of Cap. Hook! Good job!

Also, Doc was right on target.

Daelyn
    Your crying sounded very close to how I'd imagine Cinderella crying. I can't really critique this one much more, though, as it's pretty difficult to mess up crying... xD

Geokeeno
    I don't remember Xaldin saying anything. I'll have to watch again, if I have the time, and get back to you on that one...

Ryusuke
    I don't know who Eraqus was. Anyone want to enlighten me?

Zefton - The Superior
    I liked your Even (Vexen). It was so like the original Vexen VA that it's sounded almost scary! Good job!

Usako
    "Bibbity, bobbity, boo!" xD

Greater_bloo
    Didn't see Jaq in this one. Anyone want to point him out for me?

I also don't know who Vanitas is...

Hlmactiii
    Your Mickey voice is excellent! Good job!

Refi-chan
    Very good Maleficent!

I didn't see anyone named "Queen," either.

The Hallstar
    I lul'd like heck when I heard MX speak for the first time. No offense, but he sounded funny! Maybe a different accent, if you can.

Roxiri
    I don't think Snow White had any lines in this one...

Geezernort's Apprentice
    I loved your Stitch voice! It was just like the original!

JetFire62
    I liked your Terra. I think a little bit of work on inflection and emotion, and you are gold!

Lightofhope18
    Wow, I didn't think Tink would get any lines! But...

"I'm gonna kick you as hard as I can!"

lul. srsly.

Well, that's it for now! Good job, over all!

Remember, the cake is a lie!

xD

. . .

Disregard that.

- Ol'Sephy

13. Xata of Organization 14 Destiny Islands Resident

I think they're okay but perhaps should be posted in a different portion of the site? This doesn't really seem like front page stuff IMO.

14. daggerd Traverse Town Homebody

iwuzhere9 as Aeleus/Lexeaus:definately suits him

Kissy-Sensei as Aqua:One of my favorite four.

Mike (CGNET) as Announcer:Another one of my favorite four.If mccartney stopped doing it you would make a great replacement.

Genshie as Captain Hook: A ok voice but you suit doc more.

Daelyn as Cinderella: One of the hardest things to do, fake crying and you did it brilliantly.

Genshie as Doc: Alot better thank hook and you already know about the microphone.

Ryusuke as Eraqus: I wondered what his voice would be like and you made a good one.

Zeftnon - The Superior as Even/Vexen: Very good voice.

Usako as GodMother: A bit too loud

Hlmactiii as King Mickey: Its hard because its just shouting.

The Hallstar as Master Xehanort: I think it was better than most people say.

Refi-chan [again] as Queen: It is a good voice but could use a regal tone

Geezernort's Apprentice as Stitch: When you said "Friends...bonds" it could have sounded a bit sadder.

JetFire62 as Terra:Another one of my favorite four but is a bit too loud

Lightofhope18 as Tinkerbell: I wish tink had this voice in peter pan.

Greater_bloo as Vanitas: the last of my favorite four.suits vanitas alot.

Overall:Best fandub you have done so far.

15. Genshie Merlin's Housekeeper

I have already stated this but for future dubbings Hook is going to get an overhall. I am going to go over with this Mike alot and try to get Kissy's opinion on it as well.

16. Genshie Merlin's Housekeeper

OVER 2,000 views and increasing! GJ GUYS!!

17. Mike Chaser

Once again, I would like to thank you guys for the support.
    I also appreciate the feeback directed to my team and I.

I would also like to remind everyone that these videos have only been made with Windows Movie Maker.

18. daggerd Traverse Town Homebody

19. Doxyc Traverse Town Homebody

Woo! thanks i wasn't the only one! Umm...thanks to the lady that played Aqua! Thank you for acting! :). Mike...learn how to act

20. Genshie Merlin's Housekeeper

Don't like fandubs don't watch it and if you can't give contructive criticism don't criticize.