Video KH2 & Re:CoM FMV Extractor

Discussion in 'Production Studio' started by Daydreamer, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Daydreamer

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Screenshots of extracted FMVs. They have been resized to the correct display aspect ratio.

An extractor capable of ripping FMVs from the various versions of both Kingdom Hearts II [Final Mix] and Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. For GNU/Linux and Windows.

[​IMG]
    Screenshot of the application running on Windows 8.

Download

It should be noted that all videos extractable by this application have a display aspect ratio of 8:5. Program is unable to extract from HD remixes of games.

To-do
    • Add optional muxing step
    • Add ability to auto-refresh drive list
    • Add cancel ability to extraction process
    • Add optional clean-up step of unnecessary files after demuxing and decoding
    • Add dialogs to "Help" button

2. mrjaredbeta Moogle Assistant

Thanks for this, but when I try to demux the .PSS file, it says "Not a PSS file", what do I do?

3. Daydreamer

I'm guessing there might be something wrong with my tool's region identification feature. Can you tell me what platform you're on, what game you're trying to extract from, and what region your game copy was released in?

EDIT: I've just tested my application with the various region versions of KH2 and Re:CoM, and everything works just fine on my end. So, there could be something wrong with one of my game copies, or your game copy. I don't know whether there's any differences between the original Kingdom Hearts games and their respective "Greatest Hits" re-releases, but if there is, that may have caused this problem, or it might be simpler than that: are you dragging each individual PSS file into PSS_demux, and not the folder itself?

4. mrjaredbeta Moogle Assistant

I'm using KH2 and it's the NTSC-U version and not the Greatest Hits. After it rips the .pss files, I started up PSS_Demux and I dragged the individual files, not the folder. I could try it with my re:Chain of Memories disc and reply back.

EDIT:
    re:CoM worked, I think it might have been a bad rip? I'll try to get my disc back from my friend. And thank you so much for this!

5. Daydreamer

It might have been just a bad rip, but if it isn't, I can't think of any other explanations. My KH2 NTSC-U/C version is also not from the "Greatest Hits" re-release, so our copies should be the same.

Here's a screenshot of me using a different version of the extractor: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t79/Roxllen/kh2recomfmv_debug.jpg
    Those numbers are the block position and size for the current file being extracted.

Could you try extracting from KH2 using this version of the tool and tell me what it thinks your game's version is and what the block positions/sizes are? They should be exactly the same as my screenshot. Just the info on the first extracted file will do.

6. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Will this damage the disc/game in anyway, shape, or form?
    This is my first time doing anything like this.

7. Daydreamer

No, it will not. It merely copies the files on the disc to your computer's hard drive. Also, it's impossible to modify the contents of game discs as they are read-only.

If you are worried about your computer, the application extracts and uses temporary files, which are automatically deleted upon the program's exit. If for some reason they are not deleted (this will happen if the program is terminated instead of exited), they can be found at "C:%HOMEPATH%\eee" on Windows and "~/.eee" on Linux.

8. Mixt The dude that does the thing

No, it only looks at data from the disk and will not effect your disk in any way.

EDIT: I'm being ninja'd all over the place today.

9. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Alright, thanks! It worked like a charm!
    [video=youtube;AnnCavrY82M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnnCavrY82M[/video]

10. Daydreamer

11. rob735 Moogle Assistant

Thanks for this awesome programme!

However, I am very anxious to extract the exact, unadulterated video data from my disc. Will this tool do that? Or does it automatically transcode/mess up the aspect ratio or things like that? You seem pretty pro at this so I would expect the answer to be 'no', but just to be sure.

More importantly, is it possible to extract the videos from Kingdom Hearts "I"? I'm really longing for Deep Dive.

I would really appreciate any advice.

12. Daydreamer

Yes. No video quality is lost.

Transcoding does not necessarily mean lossy conversions. And yes, this tool does losslessly transcode the audio into the more format-friendly WAVE.

This program at its most recent form cannot automatically change the display aspect ratio (meaning the aspect ratio is changed on playback, not to the video file itself, so no video quality is lost). An older version of this program used to be able to to this, and is planned to be added again to a newer one. Download older versions: GNU/Linux Windows Not all video players and video editing software recognize the display aspect ratio flag, or the video container format I chose to hold the aspect ratio information (MKV), so you still may have to resize the video yourself.

FMV extractors exist for Kingdom Hearts. I've forgotten where exactly I got these from, but they are not by me: Download

13. rob735 Moogle Assistant

Awesome, thank you so much! Does this work with the PAL version of Kingdom Hearts II though?

Also ... I never really got the whole aspect ratio thing. Isn't the resolution of the video fixed? Why does it need an aspect ratio? I know that it has got something to do with TV screens, but I really don't know anything about it.

14. Daydreamer

Yes, I believe it does. Although I can't be 100% sure because I don't own the PAL version of Kingdom Hearts II. I can't recommend it though, the FMVs in the PAL version were poorly converted from NTSC. Rip from either the Japanese or North American versions if you have a choice.

The reason behind having differences between dimentions and aspect ratio is because of video format limits. In the case of Kingdom Hearts II, FMVs are stored as MPEG-2 videos with a max video data rate of 8 Mbps (same as DVDs), which affect the max dimensions and frame rate you can store video. Using all available pixels within the max resolution, then stretching the video to the desired aspect ratio, or stretch anamorphically, upon playback preserves quality. Almost all commercially released widescreen video DVDs use this technique on their stored videos.

For one reason or another Kingdom Hearts II FMVs have the frame size of 512x352, instead of the full-fledged NTSC DVD dimentions of 720x480. I can only guess this is because Kingdom Hearts II's game resolution is that of a typical PlayStation 2 game of 512x448, thus meaning FMVs are squished rather than stretched when watching them in-game, meaning that watching them in-game doesn't give you the maximum playback quality.

Just for notes, to get the desired 8:5, 16:10, or 1.6 (all the same thing) aspect ratio for these FMVs, resize them to 640x400, or an equally ratioed dimension, or set the pixel aspect ratio to 11:10 for Kingdom Hearts II or 44:25 for Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories if you are going to re-encode.

15. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

is there an way to repack the .pss files using this ?

16. Daydreamer

Not with this tool, no. If you're looking to pack them back to Playstation PSS files there's PSS Plex, but I can't attest to how well it works. Otherwise to mux them back into more traditional formats, here's MP4Box or mkvmerge.

17. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

thanks man

18. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

That didnt work . I cant insert Audio into the video. When i make a patch and test them . The audio is mutted . Can you update this tool pls to make it so it muxes right ?i tried googling for hours and nothing worked :/

19. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Well the muxing tools aren't his to fix. Can you give any details about what you were trying to do, what happened, etc.? My best guess right now is that you were trying to replace the audio with your own and the new audio file is somehow incompatible.

20. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

well i am trying to port the Spanish Audio over with there fan dub(for my spanish Patch) when i mux them back . The Audio is mutted sadly