KH-Vids Book Club

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Clawtooth, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I'd like to join, but it's quite difficult for me to participate at this moment because of school. I hope it's not too much trouble.

Also, why not read The Hunger Games? I've already read the first book and with the movie coming out next year, it'd be a nice thing to critique.

2. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

I think we're still sticking with standalone books, like something that's not part of a series (unless it can stand fairly well on its own).
    I mean I definitely wouldn't mind reading them again considering I blew through all threw in three and a half days >>

But as for when we read, I do think that having them over extended breaks for holidays and stuff is a good idea.

3. Shuhbooty moon child

*joins* >>

Do they have to be books we've read or can we just suggest books e haven't read so we can share and read them together? I would recommend Dante's Inferno but I'm not sure if that's appropriate enough. :/

4. Plums Wakanda Forever

Wolfie pretty much beat me to the punch, haha.

We could read the first book in the Hunger Games (or any series really). As long as the book doesn't require you to have kept up with the series (say like, the fifth book of Percy Jackson).

Pretty much as long as it can be independent of the series (like the first book or a flashbook book that you don't have to connect the other books to to understand it), it's fine.

They can be either ones you've read or ones you've haven't.

And any book is fine as long as it stays PG-13ish and under, so nothing like heavily detailed sex scenes, gorefests, etc.

...which is a shame because I would totes recommend a Demonata book. ;____;
    *shot*

5. Shuhbooty moon child

I didn't find the Demonata gory. Shan is a great author and I like the visual imagining he does with his work but I just didn't find them that much of a gorefest.

I should play the game and do some research to get a better feel of this book. Cause all I know is that it talks about a knight I believe going down the 6 or 7 levels of Hell? ._.

6. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

I'd like to make a suggestio-

[​IMG]

On a more serious note, I'd like to suggest American Gods by Neil Gaiman and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

7. Daxa~ #stalker

Book club book club book club,I have missed thee.
    Thought I might suggest Dubliners by James Joyce.
    Not nessascarily to read here,as its rather complex and weird,but just in general,as its a very interesting book.
    Daxa away~

8. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

It's part of Dante's Divine Comedy, it follows Dante (the author) being guided by the poet Virgil through the medieval idea of Hell. He goes through the nine circles of Hell, each layer getting progressively more disturbing and nightmarish. The game isn't really like the epic at all aside from name and basic concept.

From what I've read of it though...it is pretty disturbing at some points, personally I don't think it would be a good choice for this considering how long it is and the language it's written in. Unless you guys want to read something in more of a poetry form with Shakesperian-like language.

9. Shuhbooty moon child

Ah okay. I really had no knowledge of it besides I knew it was a game and it involved Hell. I'm gunna have to go through my books also to see whats appropriate enough..

10. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Well, I would definitely recommend Bless Me Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya.

A nice part of the book is written in Spanish, which may take away from the experience a bit, but it's quite the good read.

11. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

I would suggest Perfume by Patrick Süskind but it's really weird and creepy ...

EDIT: Patrick, I'm too absorbed in Partick Thistle Football Club evidently ('mericans, read: Soccer).

12. Shuhbooty moon child

How's it weird and creepy?

13. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

It's about a guy who kills little girls and makes them into perfume basically, I'm doing it and Dorian Grey for my English dissertation.

14. Shuhbooty moon child

For an English assignment? I usually read old literature like Beowulf, and the Canterbury tales. But I did read a book about rape called Chinese Handcuffs.

15. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Lovely, Claw. Just lovely...

Well, I was supposed to read Dorian Grey for the last month or so of my freshman year, but the honors students never got around to it. I still own the book and I might be motivated to give it a look from this.

16. phoenixkh93 Gummi Ship Junkie

I'd like to join please :) I would suggest anything by Kate Thompson, especially Switchers.

17. LostMemory Destiny Islands Resident

I love reading, believe it or not. XD Can I join please? :3 I don't have any recommendations at the moment, because my mind is kind of blank right now, but I'll recommend something when my mind switches back on. XD

18. sora11714 Moogle Assistant

can i join i would recomend the demon king

19. IggyRide34 Moogle Assistant

I would like to join this, and I recommend "Pendragon: The Merchant of Death." I'm not on much, so I might miss a couple of conversations

20. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

Can I join? I love reading books, especially series. I would recommend the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.