KH-Vids Book Club

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Clawtooth, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Before you post, remember the main rules of the site and the Literature section all apply here. If you haven’t done so already, please read both the rules of the forum and the Literature section rules. <:

FAQ
    Book Club?

A book club is a gathering of people to read and discuss novels. After a novel is chosen by group vote, each person goes off to read the novel within a certain timeframe, and later gathers together to discuss what they liked and disliked.

What books will we be able to choose?

For the most part, you can recommend any book so long as it is PG-13 or less. For example, recommendations of Lolita will not be acknowledged.

Update:
    Also, please try to recommend standalone books. If you would like to recommend a book from a series (such as Twilight or Percy Jackson), please be sure to only use the first book in the series. Not everyone is familiar with the plotline of a given series, and it is best to avoid any and all possible confusion. Also feel free to recommend books that could standalone, despite not being the first book in a series.

Examples include:

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
    Bec by Darren Shan
    The Demon Thief by Darren Shan
    Novels from the Goosebumps Series by R.L. Stine

If you have any questions on what could qualify as a standalone novel, please PM either Makise Kurisu and I and we will assist you as best we can.

How will we choose the books?

Along with your sign up, please post a book you would wish to include in the list. We will be using the first ten books in the first ten posts in a Stickied thread in the Literature section. This thread will have a poll of these books. The poll will be up for exactly one week, and whichever book has the most votes will be the one chosen for the Book Club session. This poll will be updated with the next book before a new session begins.

NOTE: If you believe a book should be terminated from this poll (or if you want to remove your own suggestion), please PM us why you think it should be removed. If a book is on there for more than FIVE sessions, it will be terminated automatically to make room for more suggestions.

These can be readded to the poll if you resuggest them later on.

How long will we be reading for?

The timeframe will vary with each book that is chosen. For example, a Harry Potter novel may take up to three weeks, while John Steinbeck’s The Pearl may take two weeks. Depending on this, and other important factors such as scheduling problems for members, the time limit can be extended and will generally go a few days over the time it will take.

What happens after we finish the book?

Typically, there will be an open discussion about what you thought of the book. However, to spice things up a bit, you may choose to be creative with what you thought of the book and make something! Currently, you can choose to make a story, a poem, a video, a song or a graphic/drawing if you wish. When you finish these, you can feel free to post them in the current session’s thread and make the authors flip turnways in their homes/graves!

Please note, all entries are optional, and must adhere to site rules.

Story/Poem:

• Please make sure that the piece relates to the book in some way. This could be using a major theme in the book, or even creating a fanficton with the characters.

Videos:

• The song choice must reflect whichever topic/scene of the novel you choose. For example, you can’t have Harry fight the Death Eaters to Rebbeca Black’s Friday even if it is pretty lulzy

Song:

• Have a character you’ve fallen in love/hate with? Have a scene you thought was beautiful? You can create a song to convey your feeling to the rest of us! Don’t worry! We won’t make you sing! unless you’re Chev So simply posting the lyrics would be fine.

Graphic/Drawing:

• You can create fanart of the book if you wish. It can be of anything that you wish, as long as it relates to the novel (such as a recurring image, a character, etc.)

How do I sign up?

Simply post below! We will be keeping a list of those signed up in the Spoiler Tag below, and will frequently edit it in the event someone cannot participate this round/someone new wants to join.

Makise Kurisu
    Ploo-Hems
    kingdomhearts530
    Gerdneek
    tummer
    Catch the Rain
    Britishism
    Daxa
    Ventus108
    Chevalier
    P
    turntechGodhead
    Marushi
    Luna Lovegood
    Monochrome
    roxas2142
    DPWolf
    Nashida
    terra254
    TheOnly9one
    What?
    Slaughtermatic(?)
    Lulus_Moogle
    MaM_1
    Loxare
    . : tale_wind
    Ⓐⓝⓣⓘ ☢ Ⓢⓞⓡⓐ/gabr

NOTE: If you have any questions, please feel free to PM either Makise Kurisu or Ploo-Hems and we will be more than willing to answer any questions and concerns. <:

2. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

I would like to join and I would like to recommend Magyk by Angie Sage

3. Sir Charles of Monocles The Fault in Our Stars

May I join? I need to read some good literature this year.

4. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I would like to join too please! My recommendation would be The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa.

5. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I'm in, I will add recommendations later because I need to go through my books and pick out what would be acceptable.

Love this idea though.

Oh, question, if you don't want to make something, can you just give straight discussion?

6. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

Ooh.
    I'd like very much so to join.

Hmm.
    The top book choice I have gets a bit too edgy.

Oh well. It'll still be fun :D

7. Plums Wakanda Forever

All of you are in; just need to add Britishism.

To answer CtR's question, you don't have to make something if you don't want to. It was just a sort of a more fun way to contribute to discussion rather than just talk about the book.

Also, as a trial run of Book Club, Claw and I picked out a book for this round: http://www.kh-vids.net/showthread.p...ession-1-Harry-Potter-and-the-Deathly-Hallows

(Mostly since that movie is coming out soon and a lot of people would be re-reading/re-watching the films). Right now, we are taking the suggestions that you're giving and will put them in the poll for the next round when the Deathly Hallows round ends.

8. Daxa~ #stalker

Oh my I join? :3
    I would recommend....the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett,and...well millions of other books xD

9. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I wanna join and I recommend "Thirteenth Child" by Patricia C. Wrede

10. Chevalier Crystal Princess

I wish to join. However, I recommend you choose books that we can understand even if we're not familiarized with a series. I know nothing of Harry potter, therefore I really can't partake in the discussion this time around.

I'm pretty sure a book like that would require some knowledge on the Harry potter universe, and I know nothing of the characters at all(aside from the basics). I also recommend some free books, too. I mean, Harry potter is almost everywhere, but there may be books we may not be able to find, or buy at the time.

Anyhow, I think this is a great idea.

11. Plums Wakanda Forever

Everyone: Adding you now.

Chev: I didn't take into account familiarity. :/ Since this was just it's first run, we thought we'd use a book that everyone will have/be reading in lieu of the premiere of the movie in a few weeks. It would be better if we stayed away from a series of books, so I'll add that to the rules now and leave Claw a PM about it.

Though, if anyone isn't really familiar with Harry Potter, just PM/VM/MSN us and I am sure we can catch you up to date on the plot. c:

As for the free books, Stardust and Clawtooth brought that up in MSN earlier. We'll be looking into some to put in the poll for the next session (probably a max of three) to beef up the selection a bit more. As for buying a book, Clawtooth brought up a good point in MSN again; you don't have to necessarily buy the book. Local public/School libraries should have it in possession. If it is proving difficult to find one, the Reading/Discussion Period can always be extended some more.

12. P Banned

Joining and suggesting Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita.

13. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Joining! I've been wanting to read some more lately and this is just what I need C:. Although I don't know if I'll have time to participate in the discussion this time around and I'm also in the same situation as Chev. Expect me to partake in the next one though.

Seconding this as well. And I'm serious B|

14. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I think this will be fun, I've wanted to join a book club for a long time now, and what better one to join than a KH-vids book club? ;) Anyway, I really like the idea of a project, and now I'm looking forward to beggining.

15. Plums Wakanda Forever

Claw added you all.~

B|
    That is a suggestion I am afraid we will have to turn down, due to the maturity of Lolita's content.

16. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Guys.

Guys.

Guys.

...I'm so in. And I recommend "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro.

17. P Banned

It's not that bad.

Nothing like 120 Days of Sodom

18. Doukuro Chaser

I'm in. Will be going through my books to suggest one when I am not so tired.

19. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

So I've got two suggestions: First, how about the Hobbit? It's a lighthearted classic as well as a good read, and not nearly as difficult as the Lord of the Rings. My other suggestion is Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I know you said no books that are a part of a series, but as this can be a standalone book, one that you don't need to read with a knowledge of the series already, I thought I might as well suggest it.

20. Plums Wakanda Forever

*Reminder to All Participants

I see that most of you have gone ahead and started working on your projects (as seen in this session's thread). However, please remember that actual discussion is more important. I understand that creative liberties are fun and another way to engage with the novel’s content (and other members), but this is a Book Discussion first and foremost. Discussion is, and always will be, a main priority of the Book Club.

Thank you. c:

-Plums Vi Britannia

Also, thank you to Marushi for pointing this out. Adding it to the Rules now.~

If there is a standalone book in a series, such as The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, those will be accepted as well. If you are unsure if a book you may want to suggest is a "standalone" book or not, please PM either Clawtooth or I and we will do our best to help you.

EDIT: The rule has been updated. Please check the first post. <:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.