Justin Bieber Arrested on Drunken Driving, Resisting Arrest Charges

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Amaury, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Mike Chaser

I'm not sure if that's a good example. Britney didn't have it easy and although I didn't agree with everything she was doing, the harm that she placed was on herself and not so much those around her. To be honest, I'm not sure if she really harmed herself. The night she shaved her head (which everyone makes a big deal about) wasn't conflicting pain on herself or others. With everything that happened with her ex and her kids, Britney was depressed and lost her mind from it.

I believe people can fall really hard when you're depressed, so it makes sense.

Justin on the other hand doesn't appear to be depressed. It appears that he's struggling with what a lot of teens face. And around his age, kids feel they're superior to others, along with him making his millions.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

My God! Just leave the poor guy alone and let him stay in the US and focus on more important issues like, oh, I don't know, people starving to death! Plus, no matter where he goes, if he continues this behavior, he'll be a bad influence anywhere he is, whether it's the United States, Canada, Mexico, etc.

There are images and videos in the linked source below.

White House Weighs Petition to Deport Justin Bieber
    • Source: Yahoo! Celebrity News
    • Published: January 29, 2014

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

You should stop comparing bad things to unrelated worse things simple to make the former seem like the better choice.
    As long as he keeps getting in trouble, he's not going to be left alone.
    After all, he's in trouble again: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/29/showbiz/justin-bieber-toronto-arrest/
    Not to mention, a lot of other immigrants have been deported for a lot less than him (though, in his defense, he actually has a visa...although I support his visa being revoked as the reason for his having it does not outweigh how much trouble he's getting himself into).
    19 is young and immature, yes, but he's legally an adult. He can face consequences from authority regardless of how he feels about it. Most people at 19 have a basic sense of right and wrong.

Ummm, most people are worried about all drunk drivers? I've driven drunk a few times and I've driven under the influence of other things a couple of times. I've since sworn to never do it because of how close I came to doing something extremely horrible once. You don't have to join MADD to oppose drunk driving. However, I'm sure most people would rather not be driving (or even just being) near someone who is driving drunk.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm not comparing, though. Instead of wasting energy trying to get someone deported, put that energy toward a more useful cause.

5. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

You can turn that around and say instead of wasting energy trying to get people off his back, put that energy toward something more useful like people starving.
    It's a fallacy of diversion to bring up a topic completely unrelated to the one being argued and doesn't help your side of the case any at all.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

That's like saying you'd continue arguing about whether or not candy prices should go up while you can hear someone drowning in the background.

7. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

So why are you arguing about how he should be left alone when there's more pressing issues out there? Yes, I agree there are more serious things to talk about out there, but the fact that those things exist has nothing to do with what's being discussed right now. Why do anything at all when there's something more serious to take care of?

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

Because Justin isn't causing deaths, whereas lack of food for a long period of time is causing deaths.

9. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Then go work at a soup kitchen. This isn't a discussion on what's worse, it's a conversation about Justin Bieber and his charges.

10. Styx That's me inside your head.

Do cars pack pillows on the outside where you live? Because where I come from, driving at ridiculous speeds and under the influence does cause deaths. It's damn fortunate Biebs didn't cause any that night.

Your idea of "they should be spending their energy on something useful" is horribly short-sighted. We could probably solve world hunger if we really wanted to, regardless of whether or not it precedes Bieber's deportation on the agenda. You might think "energy" has got anything to do with it, but that's not how politics works.

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

I give up. Obviously I'm just stupid and nothing I've said in this thread is valid. So fine.

I'm talking more in the sense of everyday stuff. For example, people being hungry every day will eventually die, whereas Justin just being existent in the world every day won't make people die.

12. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Oh, I love this really bad argument. It's one of my favorite fallacies. I saw it earlier today on Tumblr, where people were outraged about the treaty, saying that there's wars going on between other countries, and we should focus into that. Yes, those are things that should stop, but a petition alone isn't something that's going to stop it. The person who came up with it had valid points into why his visa (although he said it was a green card) should be revoked. The same thing would happen to anyone else who isn't famous and has the money to get away with practically anything.

And let me remind you about the whole Death Star petition. That can be defined as something trivial. However, enough people signed the petition to where The White House had to look at it (although, I think because of that incident, they raised the number of signatures you needed). I don't recall there being any outcry that people were putting energy into something that is trivial when other things that are of importance were out there in the world.

IN fact, I would love to see what the people who are outraged about the Bieber petition thought about the Death Star one.

13. Styx That's me inside your head.

Well sure, but the result is the same. I admit that giving Justin Bieber more attention than Syria or Sudan sounds horribly shallow, but what can we do? As ordinary folks, we have more of an impact on the entertainment industry than we have on international politics, precisely because the entertainment industry caters to us ordinary folks. He's just that little bit closer to what we can have an impact on. We can choose whether we worship or hate Justin Bieber, but we can't choose how many bombs will fall on Damascus. You can contribute to charity, but that's not mutually exclusive to talking about something entirely unrelated.

Also man, there's no shame in being wrong every once in a while. Try to show a bit more grace when you lose an argument. It's no use getting upset.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  14. ShibuyaGato Transformation

It's not that what you've said isn't valid, it's that the "focus on world hunger and not Justin" thing is essentially a cop out. This thread is for discussion on the topic of what he did that morning, and trying to dissuade people from talking about it, especially by bringing up an unrelated issue, isn't in the spirit of the thread. People have displayed their individual opinions and brought up their points. That's that.

In regards to the petition, I can understand how the Death Star thing would be scoffed at by the White House, and I can also understand if Obama's too busy to deal with a pop star's possible deportation, but staff members should recognize that anyone here with a visa and no guarantee that he'll be allowed to stay. If I were him I'd be on my best behavior, but instead he's doing anything and everything to make him infamous in the public eye. Whether or not he's in his "rebellious stage," there comes a point where it needs to stop, and I think he passed that a while ago.

15. Plums Wakanda Forever

Admittedly, I found the Death Star petition pretty funny. While I might have been, and may still be, wrong in assuming so, I always thought that one was more of a gag. Although I'm certain there were a few people who were serious about it, most of the reception towards it I had seen was mostly along the lines of a pretty funny joke. The government did respond to it seriously, but I also imagine whoever the person who responded to it had quite a bit of laughs out of it as well. All in all, I thought it was a harmless, one time silly petition.

OVERALL though, I see the Bieber petition as frivolous at the moment. The federal government has yet to make a statement about it, and also I would've thought the county/state justice system would have been enough to handle it. But doing some research, apparently Lily Allen was banned 7 years ago for just a one time assault charge all the way in London. Considering that, it'd be a load of bull if they didn't revoke his Visa (at which point I would be fine with the petition).

16. DaSpade101 Destiny Islands Resident

Nineteen.

Also, you clearly didn't understand what I said/read the whole post I was replying, and the one I posted. He was only focusing on one specific person as a drunk driver when drunk driving is rampant as a whole. Also, I know you don't have to join the MADD. Can you not understand a form of an example? Just knit-picking an argument is a logical fallacy which is what you're doing.

17. Cloud4012 Gummi Ship Junkie

it's amazing how far he's fallen and people still watch his movies

18. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm late on this, but in case anyone's curious, Justin turned himself in to the police on January 29, 2014. I'm not sure if he's still in custody, but if this is a way of turning his life around, he's definitely going to need to do more things like this, but this is definitely a good start! His court date is set for March 10, 2014.

Canadian Police Charge Justin Bieber with Assaulting Limo Driver
    • Source: Reuters
    • Published: January 30, 2014

19. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Well, this is definitely a turn in the right direction, I have more respect for him now then I did but I suppose only time will tell if this is a major turn about or not. If, whenever he gets out of prison (be it after serving a sentence or being set free after March 10th), he continues to offend and generally abuse his fame then that respect will go right out the window.

20. Amaury Legendary Hero

It looks like this may be related to his arrest, but I'm not entirely sure. (I also don't know what deposition means.)

(@Ienzo, I'm tagging you since you were interested in this based on your last reply.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014