Justin Bieber Arrested on Drunken Driving, Resisting Arrest Charges

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Amaury, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

I encourage everyone who hasn't to read @DaSpade101's earlier message here, where he says Justin didn't used to be like this. I'm not saying that excuses his behavior by any means, but it explains it.

Britney Spears is another good example of someone who turned their life around. I have no doubt Justin's lowest point will come soon and he will do the same, given how things are going.

He didn't get out of jail because he was a celebrity, he got out of a jail because he was able to afford the bail. If you were out at a party and irresponsibly got drunk, got really mad at someone and hurt them, something which you would normally not do, managing to put them in the hospital, and you got arrested for it, if your parents could afford your bail, would you not want them to bail you out?

I specifically asked in the OP to keep bashing out of this. I'm letting this go because the overall message was constructive, but please don't do it again

2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Well in this case, I don't think he should've been allowed to bail out, because if I was a Miami resident, I wouldn't feel safe knowing someone who almost caused deaths wasn't in jail. But I'm not really surprised to be honest. This is the same state that found people like Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman not guilty of murder.

3. 61 No. B

That's hardly the point. He should not be able to buy his way out of crime as serious as this and essentially get away with it. He's Justin Beiber. He's super freaking rich. Of course he's going to be able to afford bail. The fact of the matter is that he is not experiencing any long-term consequences and will undoubtedly return to such behavior.

And I'm no expert on alcohol but I'm pretty sure drinking does not completely transform your personality into a raging lunatic. You have to have some capacity for that behavior already. And ignoring that, this is perfectly in character for him. His disrespectful behavior has been escalating to outright dangerous behavior for a while now, and I guarantee not a single person was surprised by this. And btw my parents aren't billionaires who can afford me reckless behavior. He acts this way because he knows he can get away with it.

A negative opinion of something you see positively =/= bashing.

And serious question time, are these threats officially sanctioned by the staff? Because if not you can drop the bravado.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

If you're going to give a negative opinion, do it constructively. In other words, keep bias out of it. You also insulted him.

They're not threats, and I will contact staff if things get too out of line. And this goes for any discussion, not just this one.

5. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Britney got to that point, sure, but her parents are managing what she does now. As a matter of fact, parents who let their kids fly into fame and fortune at early ages end up with young adult disasters most of the time -- only exceptions that come to mind are Dylan and Cole Sprouse. And on top of that, Justin had been out partying with his father prior to this, so what does that tell you about his personal role models?

I have a major problem with that statement. He was able to pay bail because he has money. Could any other average joe get away with this? No. Could anyone in this thread expect their parents to pay bail after doing something so utterly moronic? Maybe, but the odds of that among average citizens is slim to none. If you know you get crazy when you drink, then either don't do it or do it responsibly. Everyone should face the consequences of their decisions, and that should not exclude anyone with money/fame/power. We have laws for a reason, but more stories come out of people who couldn't give less of a damn. It needs to stop.

Yes, yes and yes. I know my area is full of whackjobs and loons, and I know I'll likely have to deal. Once things are allowed to get to a certain point, it's difficult, if not impossible, to reel it back in. Whether it's how an individual or an organization is allowed to act, no one should be able to get away from their actions. I understand that it's not a perfect world, and I understand that bias is bound to cloud judgment, but facts are facts.

6. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Directly doesn't mean what you think it means. What you mean is that it doesn't always hurt someone, it hurts someone directly whenever it does hurt someone.

And now onto the dumb teenager here:

Let me tell you a little something.

A friend of mine (who I look up to as I would a big sister) lost a friend of hers in a drunk driving accident. Any time there is a joke about DUI, she will jump on you like a freaking weapon and let you have it.

The fact that his fans are still supporting him and not blaming him is pretty wrong. I bet anything if they had lost someone to a DUI, they'd just give up on the kid.

I've also seen things such as "I would love Justin even if he raped kids."

That's pretty disgusting, and I really hope that someone either puts Justin away for good, or they just remove him from the country for good, because people are just gonna start taking a leaf out of his book eventually, and that's bad. Very bad.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

If people are saying that with any celebrity, then they've got mental problems.

8. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I have never seen it said with any other celebrity.

People can like what get want, but the Beleiber group as a whole just seems like the most troubled.

9. DaSpade101 Destiny Islands Resident

Bail is in the court system for a reason. Don't confuse "bail" as a "Get out of Jail free" card. Bail is a method of allowing the accused to spend time with their family and/or lawyer before their trial. There are no exceptions in the court system. Most of the time, the people that may or may not get granted bail are murderers/man-slaughterers. You can get on your high horse and say "Oh, but DUI is basically murder because cars can kill people while drunk!", but that's just a logical fallacy in itself. The fact is that NOBODY was killed or injured. So many people are acting like he committed genocide when it was just DUI. You can't compare DUI to a murder which is what you're basically saying by hypothetically not allowing him to bail.

After all, you can get convicted for a DUI simply by sitting in your car and being drunk. The car doesn't even have to be on. Hundreds of people get arrested for DUI every day. Should we not let all those people bail? People have this idea that celebrities think they're high and mighty, but they're normal people too. They know how to act like normal people, and should be treated as so. Most of the high and mightiness is just the Hollywood persona taking effect in front of the cameras. If anything, this incident brought Bieber back to earth.

Anybody can "almost cause deaths" every day. He didn't even almost cause deaths. It was the middle of the night, and Miami is a HUGE city. I'm sure there are people in your city that have been convicted of DUI, and you don't even know it. Why? Because it's so insignificant. The only reason this makes news is because it's a celebrity.

Irrelevant. Completely different judge, attornies, prosecution, etc. You're comparing DUI to some of the most controversial cases in modern-America.

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, then Justin's fans have mental problems.

I hope he's not that kind of person, but if Justin ever did rape anyone, even I would be repulsed.

11. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Thing is, for Bieber, it is more of a "Get out of jail free card." Like @Cat~ said, he knows he can afford to get out, meaning he knows he could get away with it again and again.

I'm simply commenting how VERY flawed things are here in Florida.

12. libregkd -

13. DaSpade101 Destiny Islands Resident

I still don't think you understand what bail is. He still has to go to court and receive his verdict when bailed. The verdict is what determines the penalty of his action. He WOULD only be in jail until he goes to court, unless he is bailed out which he was. Even if he stayed in jail, he wouldn't go back. He'd be released, fined, and most likely have his licensed suspended.

Now if a, let's say, statutory rape convict was bailed, he'd go have his trial and most likely go back to jail if he received years in prison.

Court is the relatively the same in every state.

14. ShibuyaGato Transformation

What we're all saying is that he's continually displayed his complete and utter apathy towards any form of authority. Sure, people get arrested for DUIs every day, and of course we wouldn't comment on every single one of them, but celebrities have a certain standard that they should uphold. Not all of them do, of course, and that kind of pressure is likely to make some people crack, but the standard is less about their public image or their own fame than it is for their fans and the people who look up to them. Bieber has a die-hard fanbase and all of this #DrinkAndDriveforBieber and #FreeBieber crap is coming out of his bad decisions. It was the same kind of thing when he got caught smoking pot and fans started to "slit until he stopped."
    And clearly this incident hasn't "brought Bieber back to earth" because he was smiling in his mugshot and just flew back to his mansion to revel in the fact that he got away from the law. He won't learn unless he's forced to face the consequences, and if that means keeping him from paying bail, then so be it. Should this be allowed to continue until his drunk driving leads to the death of someone's friend/brother/sister/lover?

And while Miami might be a huge city, he did this in a residential neighborhood in a Lamborghini. Tell me that a car like that going at 60 can't crash through a fence or wall and injure someone. Sure it only makes the news because he's a celebrity, but celebrities aren't the only people who should be careful in what they do. He has the money to make all these poor decisions, but he's endangering so many people with his behavior. Part of being a celebrity is acknowledging that you've got fans who look up to you and trying to set a good example for them. Bieber isn't the only person to have set a bad example, I know, but he's the most recent in a long line of bad role models, and if he won't alter his behavior, then someone else needs to step in.

15. DaSpade101 Destiny Islands Resident

What teenager doesn't "display his complete and utter apathy towards any form of authority"? He's still 19, and very immature because that's what Hollywood is like.

How fans and people look up to him is basically a subsection under public image, so that's kind of a contradiction. Anyway, as far as standards are concerned, I do agree with you that they exist; however, is it his fault that his fans respond with such outrageous actions? Of course he has standards to uphold, but it's his life. The real ones at fault are the people that justify cutting themselves because of what he does. He shouldn't be forced to live a life that's not his. Doesn't American society/media despise fake people? It's also not like there's other people in the lives of the fans that can guide them. Also, that whole "slit until he stopped" movement was proved a hoax; it was just a troll that originated from 4chan. Many Bieber fans made fun of, and even disowned, the movement as a whole.

I meant the whole "brought Bieber back to earth" thing as hypothetical. However, you can't assume that this event didn't bring him back to earth. The media jumbles things, and he DID take that mugshot while he was drunk. The idea that Bieber should be kept from paying bail just because of a DUI is outrageous. If an exception like that happened, then how does that describe the judicial branch? There are no exceptions to the law whether you're a celebrity, police officer, charity worker, or whatever. If there were, then I'd fear for the government in the future.

Like I mentioned before, drunk driving happens every day, and if you're so worried about Bieber being drunk while driving because you "wouldn't feel safe knowing someone who almost caused deaths wasn't in jail", you might as well be worried about all drunk drivers. Join the MADD if you're that concerned. Should we just put drunk drivers on the death penalty (obviously an extreme form of sarcasm)? Keep in mind, he still faced consequences for his actions. If you're that concerned about drunk driving harming "someone's friend/brother/sister/lover" then write a letter to your governor or the president and address the consequences of DUI. Locking up Bieber, when he'll eventually get out anyway and still have the same lens on life, has as much impact as it would now that he got bail. Should celebrities, in general, not be allowed to post bail because they have this certain standard that they have to uphold in society?

Any car at can "crash through a fence, or wall and injure someone". In fact, ANY person can do it. It's so easy, a caveman could do it. No matter how many fans he has, Bieber is still a regular person just like everyone else. Anybody else can kill someone while driving under the influence. And slightly paraphrasing what I said above, if you're going to not let Bieber post bail because he could harm someone, then you might as well not let ANY DUI convict not post bail.

Finally, I just want to clarify, generally, that I don't condone drunk driving and/or Bieber's actions. In fact, I don't condone anything Bieber did and I'm not trying to justify his actions. I just want people to realize something, and that something is up to you to figure out.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  16. Amaury Legendary Hero

So this is kind of off topic, but it's related. Is it just me or is the majority of the whole "celebrities gone criminal" thing with musicians only? The only celebrities that come to mind right now are Lindsey Lohan, Britney Spears and Justin Bieber.

Also, in general why are some celebrities or celebrity groups okay while others get involved in criminal acts? For example, Big Time Rush and One Direction both became famous at young ages, and yet, like the Sprouse twins, are doing completely fine in their real lives. No trouble with the law or anything. They even really get involved with their fans.

17. Plums Wakanda Forever

It is largely dependent on how they're reigned in by their producers and especially their parents. Bieber's producer(s) became very lax with him after a while, which is when he started to do a lot of the aforementioned deeds Cat, Laurence, and many others brought up. This also applies to DaSpade's point that he didn't "used to be like this"; he had people to teach and guide him through the stardom. Once that force became lax, he was able to do whatever he wanted and spiraled down from there. I can only assume BTR and the Sprouse twins had consistent guidance and care from their parents, which is why you don't really see them getting into anything big like this.

On Bieber himself, I'm not really surprised this kind of thing happened. I only hope that his parents and his producers step on up to the plate and get in his face about his behavior as of late. He, especially, needs to make a much better effort going forward, or it probably won't be long before he gets himself into something money can't sweep under the rug.

18. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Well this seems to be happening a lot with child stars lately. Not the DUI in particular but doing things that identify them as something other than just that famous kid. Of course a lot of these identifications are in the form of illegal activities.

If you know me at all then you know that I am not a Justin Bieber fan. I have nothing against him, I just don't care for his music. There are a lot of people out there who would like to see Bieber given the old slap on the wrist. Those people would in fact be terribly wrong to think that way. Bieber committed a very serious offense by being in a vehicle while under the influence. It could have been a lot worse than just him going to jail. He could be on trial for murder charges, or even dead. The court would be right to serve him to justice and -while giving him the sentencing he deserves- use him as an icon to the rest of the idols like Bieber out there.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a little image change. Miley changed her image and was it for the better ... not necessarily, but it's not illegal. Bieber needs to be punished not only for the wrong he did but to try and prevent him from doing anything so dangerous and idiotic in the future. I wonder if he knows exactly how many people would be heartbroken if he were to be found fatally injured in a car crash. Maybe this is something Mister Bieber can think about while he's sitting in a cell.

We all have to grow up sometime, Justin. Now would be a good time for you to do some growing.

-TK

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  19. Styx That's me inside your head.

It's just you; Drew Barrymore and Maculay Culkin aren't musicians to my knowledge.

It mostly depends on their entourages. Bieber's problem is that he's surrounded by yes-men, including his own parents. Also, the two examples you mentioned are groups. There's the whole image thing. Bieber and One Direction were both originally cast as "boyfriends to die for". Bieber was allowed to let his image get redesigned into that of a bad boy the minute his entourage realized the credibility of his original facade had gone to the dogs anyway. With One Direction, things are more complicated. If one weak-willed member of the group turns out to be a less than ideal son-in-law, it would cast a cynical shadow of doubt over the entire band. Thus, said member (if any) would be kept in check, either by the rest of the band or by the label or whatever.

20. DaSpade101 Destiny Islands Resident

I'd say that's quite accurate. Also, Bieber grew up with a single mother and no father in his life. Fathers are usually known to be the one with discipline, and it's been proven in studies to show that children with absent fathers are usually more aggressive personality-wise. Also, Big Time Rush had their own Nickelodeon TV show which definitely influenced how they had to act in public. Groups also have to conform to a unified image while Bieber is free to do whatever since he's a solo artist. It's hard to write a song for a group that has a bad boy, a super nerdy nice guy, quiet guy, etc. It's also hard for a group to develop an audience like this, as ideal the group may sound.

Although, I think we may be looking too much into it, and these people/groups are just special cases. Meaning, of course they won't have the same outcome because they've been exposed to completely different things.