Film Justice League

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by 61, Apr 28, 2014.

1. 61 No. B

So apparently the inevitable Justice League movie has been confirmed now. I'll let the article I saw do the talking.

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/justice-league-movie-confirmed/1100-148617/

Given the cast for the Superman/Batman movie I don't even know what to think of this.

This comment accurately sums up my feelings and expectations for this whole thing.
    And WHAT, why is Shazam not in this continuity? I don't get this. I want to reserve judgement on the "DCCU" until we get farther than one movie into it, but right now it's looking... terrible. imo. Although maybe Shazam not being in this muddled continuity is a good thing.

Wonder Woman not even having her own movie planned yet shows you how messed up this whole thing is.

As I said in my post in the Superman/Batman thread, I'm just so shocked by all of this I can't articulate my thoughts.

2. Krowley Moderator

Meh, I just watch the DCU animated films.

3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Well, at least then you get something that looks like the characters instead of trying to put make-up on someone and messing with their hair for hours on end just trying to copy the image of something that was invented with pencil and paper. Plus the animated films seem to do a lot better in my opinion. Like with Flashpoint Paradox, I thought that was a really cool version of Justice League. But if they tried doing that in live action, I'd just put my wallet away and tell the director "I'd take being forced to fight Darkseid over watching this"

4. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Uhh... Well this seems kinda slap-dash. Just because Avengers exists doesn't mean you have to one-up it, guys.

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

This. I feel like DC/Warner Bros are rushing to catch up with Marvel so that they can compete...but I feel like the end result is gonna suffer because of the rushing. So, in short:

DC: Don't you say it, don't you say it!
    Marvel: On your left~!

If you're in a footrace with a super soldier, full-on sprinting to try to catch up is only gonna cause problems for you.

6. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Aptly put. :'D Hell, even The Avengers seemed rushed in some respects considering a few films were put out specifically to tie in to it, or with the tie-in as a close secondary goal. But compared to this... Whew.

7. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

This may just be me, but I think what works for the comic books doesn't work for the movies when it comes to production.
    To use an example or two from both Marvel and DC:
    1. Marvel: This summer, Marvel is doing "3 Months to Die" for Wolverine, a story arc in his own series that counts down (so 3 issues: 3 Months to Die, 2 Months to Die, 1 Month to Die) and culminating in a (I think) four issue limited series called "Death of Wolverine" (yes, they're apparently killing Wolverine off for a bit). So DoW and 3MtD are two different series, one just being the finale of sorts (or the other being the lead up to one?). The author for 3MtD is not the author for DoW (Charles Soule<3).
    2. DC: Just published the third issue of "Batman Eternal" a weekly series that'll last a whole year. Scott Snyder (<3. No relation to Zack, I checked) is the mastermind behind it (as well as the current writer for Batman and a couple of non-DC, creator-owned series). Eternal is weekly while most of his other comics, if not all, are monthly. Snyder came up with the story he wanted to tell throughout that year and the broad outline for it, but there's a rotating staff of authors (and I'm assuming artists) behind it. So Scott will work on a few issues then hand it over to someone else, and so on and so forth. He's been working on it for some time with them so they all know what has to happen.

Long story short: it's very common for comic books, if not the default practice, for different authors to be a part of the same project. In movies, however, it's different. Joss Whedon wasn't behind Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, the tie-in comics, or even the Marvel One-Shots, but he was handed the reins for Avengers. Obviously, he was able to do what he wanted, but he had to work off of what was already established by other people in other movies; hence, it was obviously rushed (that and I think Marvel was a little over-excited to get Avengers. See: Captain America: The First Avenger).

Keeping one director for the Justice League movies, in my opinion, it shouldn't be rushed. He has (apparently) the discretion to lay out his own groundwork and his work his way up to the final project (Justice League). The problem is that WB wants to catch up to Marvel so they're rushing it, regardless.

/$.02

8. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Thought about making a new thread, but then remembered this was here.
    Trailer's out!

9. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

The trailer in general looks really really solid.

However, I still have one HUGE problem with it. Ezra Miller ain't no Barry Allen.

Now don't get me wrong, he's a really talented actor-- I loved him in Perks of Being a Wallflower. But not only does he not have the LOOK of Barry Allen, he just doesn't have the feel of Barry Allen.

Now maybe I'm way too much in love with Grant Gustin (Barry on the Flash TV show) but those are just my thoughts. Someone said they thought Miller would have been an interesting Robin or even Nightwing-- and yes I can see that.

I'm REALLY hoping my opinion of him will change (since I love, love, love Flash) but sadly, I don't be holding my breath.

Oh and his suit is just no. Like I get that it was apparently a thing from Injustice, but no. Just no.

10. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I felt like the scene was lifting a lot from the Tony/Peter meeting from Civil War. A billionaire and a smart ass kid meet; smart ass kid is tricked into showing his power; asked to be apart of dangerous mission/film's climax.

Miller seems apt for that kind of comedy. I don't know much about Flash myself, so I can take just about any interpretation. If his character just stays consistent, he could really stand out among this group.

11. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Yeah I realized they lifted/ took inspiration from Peter/Tony. I think that might be part of the reason why I didn't like it.

Barry Allen, at least the Barry Allen I know and am used too and love very much, isn't a kid like the Peter Parker (whose like 13?15? Somewhere around there) of the MCU. He's supposed to be smart, a bit cocky, but he's not a kid and he's usually not the "jokey" character. Like he has his moments and, while he's no where near as serious as, Green Arrow for example, he's still not really a comical character.

And it seems like that's what the DCEU is going to do, make Barry a "funny" character and (at least from this scene) a character quite different from what I've seen/ what's prominent in the comics as well (at least ones I know).

12. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Yeah, I can see that point of view. I'm usually all for taking liberties with characters because that's how a lot of great adaptations work, but I understand the uneasiness of having what sounds like a major character shift.

On a slightly tangential note, there's an extra on the Batman v Superman bluray (because I enjoy that movie while understanding it'd immensely flawed) where it shows Miller being super exited about the character. From the small bit I saw, he really understands the kind of character he has. He goes into explaining the scientific mechanics of "going fast". So it seems like he's fully committed to bringing this character to life and making it his own.

13. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Well I'm happy to hear he's really excited for the part. Like I said, he's a good actor and (at least he seems to be) a good person.

I just- I really love Barry. Like he's EASILY one of my favorite DC characters (right next to John Constantine and Sara Lance), so I'm going to be a bit judgmental. But I'm not giving up hope; maybe when more scenes are out and (hopefully) by the time I see the full movie, Barry wouldn't see so different after all.

Aint forgiving that suit though. Just... *shakes head* No.

14. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Yeah, I very much agree that the costume needs work. I couldn't even recognize him when he did that cameo in BvS. It just looks...off.

Another thought came to mind though. Do you think that the big character difference is because of how popular the Flash tv show is. DC maybe wants to make a distinction that these are two different characters who just happen to share the same name/alias? It's not necessarily uncommon, and it's in line with striking character differences we've seen thus far in the "series".

15. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

I mean at the very least at least the suite looks better than it did in BvS because OH BOY was it REALLY REALLY Bad. Now at least I can take away a really or two :P

It's a possibility. I mean I just don't understand that, if they needed a "comical" character and still wanted Flash, why didn't they just go with Wally West? I don't know a whole lot about him, but I've been told he's a much 'funnier' version of the Flash, a bit younger and more what this version of Barry Allen seems to be. I mean the Flash TV show has Wally West as well, but if the movies had decided to go with Wally to begin with, than the TV probably never would added him (Wally), thus possibly causing less confusion between two different Barry Allens.