Film Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Hayabusa, Sep 11, 2013.

1. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Yo. Going to see this in Imax when it comes out. Totally gonna rock.
    Ah. So hunting. Got it. Redheads are like velociraptors in my experience.

2. Patman Bof

Lol. You probably meant it as a joke, but between hunting and poking I' m honestly not sure which instinct women are most likely to be in denial about.

3. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Re: Dinosaurs not being realistic(lol)

All credibility was thrown out the window and out into space with the words 'Cloned Dinosaur Theme Park'. And the character that is noted as the credible dinosaur expert says that the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are not real dinosaurs and thus do not contribute to his field. The 'dinosaurs' in the movies are mutant dinosaur/frog hybrids and as Grant puts it 'theme park monsters'.

I'm going to see the movie either way.

4. Hayabusa Venomous

Just saw it. Basic review sans spoilers:

YO DINOSAURS THO

So yeah, obviously Jurassic World didn't beat Jurassic Park, but that's almost unfair of a competition.

Definitely one of the best action-thriller type films in the last few years, despite many dumb things in the script (which Jurassic Park also had plenty of.)

Beats the pants off the (mostly) bad Lost World and the (mostly) forgettable Jurassic Park III so easily.

I knew, I just knew, they were gonna have the Mosasaurus finish off the Indominus Rex. So much build-up, and it wasn't at all a bad "I knew it" feeling.

The twist in-which the raptor pack turns on Owen and inGen's guys was a nice breath of fresh air, and a good reminder that the raptors aren't friends, but instinctual animals that want to survive...but that also brings up an issue.

How did the Indominus Rex, an animal that the people said was basically raised in isolation and has zero social skills, turn the raptors that were imprinted upon by Owen since their births? I get that they want to stick with the safer, stronger alpha and all, but that was confusing.

The teenage protagonist...think his name was...Zach. Yeah, he was God damn insufferable. Whoever wrote his character forgot that we want someone interesting to see do things, not ogle girls for half his screen-time and then suddenly know how to fix a 20+year-old car. Gray was just OK, but not really that special.

Owen and Claire were pretty decent, but Owen was too often treated as walking exposition and Claire sucked at her job. Their romance arc was predictable, but still really fun to see.

The death scene of Zara was horrifying. I'm impressed they went that far.

Basically, I'm really glad that the story wasn't a worse version of the first film, managing to add in its own interesting twists to the dino-story, such as engineering a new dinosaur with parts from cuddlefish and snakes and shit, and making the raptors more dynamic than simple killing machines.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  5. Patman Bof

He probably learned all that from Tony Stark, isn' t he the kid from Iron Man 3 ?

6. Sebax Avatar by Xerona

Wow, I am very surprised no one is talking about the fact that:

Chris Pratt is eaten. Alas, much like Quicksilver's presence in the latest Avenger's movie was so built-up only to have him fall, Chris Pratt goes down in the line of duty. Also, down the throat of a very large Dinosaur. One minute he was cracking goofy one-liners with the charm of a fiver year old at Disney World, the next he dropped to the bottom of the food chain.

It was like watching "Old Yeller" all over again, but if you actually saw the bullet actually go through the dog's head, because there was a lot of gross chewing involved with Pratt's gooey organs. This likening is strengthened by the fact Mr. Pratt is the personification of a Golden Retriever.

Rest in Peace, Owen. The world will never forget your sacrifice. At least there's still Starlord.

Actually, I haven't seen the movie yet, but could you imagine if that happened?

7. burnitup Still the Best 1973

I got back from seeing it not to long ago. I'll keep it short and say that the film was pretty good. Definitely a superior sequel than Lost World or 3. I'll give a more in depth review tomorrow as I have to focus on a few things before I go to bed tonight and wouldn't have the time to write a review up that wouldn't go past my designating sleeping hours.

8. Stardust Chaser

I just saw this last night and I have lots of thoughts! I also don't really remember any characters' names well lol so bear with me. But the short of it is (mind the spoilers!):

The Good:
    The cast was mostly solid, the action sequences had excellent setup and payoff (the final fight was an obvious choice but the scene where the gate opens was so perfect!!), effects pretty good, soo refreshing to hear that theme again!
    The Bad:
    Basically the writing... Filled with heavy-handed themes, dumb characters, occasional out of place lines, and obvious deus ex machinas. Some examples off the top of my head; I could be misremembering or forgetting some things, granted:

• We suspect our massive GMO Dinosaur has broken out of its cage... Let's go inside of the cage to investigate, immediately, before it has been located.
    • We can't possibly close the park in the face of GMO Dinosaur mayhem!!!!11 What about MONEY??
    • Further let's outfit GMO Dinosaur with a SINGLE CHIP for tracking and containment outside of its cage, and not warn the folks in charge of watching it (or tracking it down) about its ridiculous capabilities. A layered enclosure or multiple implants you say??? give me a ****ing BREAK
    • "Stay in the car." ...She gets out of the car immediately. The scene of her watching the dinosaur die almost makes up for it.
    • The system is telling us our ride is closed and we should turn back, but let's not only continue but go OFF-ROADING INTO A RESTRICTED AREA WHICH HAS A SUSPICIOUS BREAK IN ITS FENCE. What could possibly go wrong???
    • Let's outfit our security personnel with tiny-ass rifles every time we send them after GMO Dinosaur, they'll be FINE
    • Now that GMO Dinosaur is down, let's just shut down communications like there aren't any other dangerous creatures still on the loose!
    • "RUN!!" As in, come over here and hide behind a piece of rock with me so we can all watch??
    • "We've gotta tell mom about this!!"
    • "Can't you just sniff it out or something??"

• The kids CONVENIENTLY know how to fix a car when they need to, and have everything necessary to get one abandoned since the early '90's running (not to mention original park equipment was CONVENIENTLY still hanging around, right where they needed it)
    • The velociraptors are CONVENIENTLY clicker trained to search and destroy
    • The velociraptors also CONVENIENTLY switch loyalties whenever the plot necessitates it.
    • Swimming Dinosaur CONVENIENTLY breaks his enclosure exclusively to eat GMO Dinosaur, right when everyone needed him to.
    • GMO Dinosaur CONVENIENTLY has all the capabilities necessary to ruin everything for everybody all the time, which CONVENIENTLY gets revealed -- you guessed it -- just when the plot needs it. How is it so stealthy?? It's part tree frog... We sent raptors to catch it??? It's part raptor...

• Government Raptor Guy was a poorly developed thematic device -- very one-dimensional, designed to be an easy audience target, and an obvious setup for the eventual release of the raptors (which would obviously go wrong!). I wish they'd done a better job with that character if they were going to go that route -- Perhaps a government official sent to view the progress on training the raptors, with little or no opinion on their feasibility as a weapon to begin with, whose feelings for or against their usage develops over the course of the movie. Also, I don't remember the amount of power he held ever being made clear, which made things confusing when he basically took over the entire security operation of the island.
    • The dangers of playing god has been a part of Jurassic Park from the beginning, but filling the cast with people who mostly had no real interest in dinosaurs felt like a bad move. They made some effort to teach those characters that they were dealing with living, breathing animals (the aforementioned death scene; the eventual turning of the velociraptors...), and the male lead personified this point of view, but at the end of the day it felt half-baked... I think I'm mostly taking issue with it because of the raptors side-swapping again at the end, lol. Beyond the fact that the mere existence of this film means people keep making the same mistake, I mean... I guess I have to give that part a pass :v .

Also, minor nitpick: Claire(?) ran around in those damn pumps the whole time! I kept waiting for someone to hack the heels off, ala Romancing the Stone.

I hope I don't sound like I hated it because I actually did not, I thought it was really entertaining! Just... Not much more than that, haha. But sometimes that's all you need from a movie. I walked out happy.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  9. Hayabusa Venomous

I don't get how this is an issue?? It shows that she feels compelled to disobey??

Those were not "tiny" rifles...I dunno what you think rifles look like, but those were standard issue fully-automatic rifles.

Everything else you point out, yeah I agree.

10. Stardust Chaser

Fair enough! I didn't really think about it from that perspective to be honest; I approached it with the same attitude as the kids inside the ride, that is, "A character is actively doing something that may get them killed during a crisis, which they have explicitly been told not to do." But it isn't the same situation, exactly.
    My bad, I was writing things quickly and didn't articulate what I meant by this well. I was trying to express that it seemed like most of the equipment for subduing the dinosaur would be laughably ineffective against a creature of that caliber, and how it felt like that should have been obvious to all involved (especially when iirc the equipment changed little through multiple encounters), lol.

11. Patman Bof

A single chip should have sufficed, chip =/= cheap. The GMOsaurus shouldn' t have the slightest clue what a GPS even is. It should have removed its chip immediately or not at all.

I haven' t seen the movie but I could spot that one from the trailer alone. So far I' m mostly told it' s a decent first hour movie with a sudden "so bad it' s good" half-hour climax.

12. Stardust Chaser

I guess I just feel like if they invested millions into engineering a creature like that, they should also be willing to take into account its insane capabilities and invest whatever is necessary to ensure it doesn't get out -- it doesn't matter if that means backup chips or extra fences or whatever else imo; I was just tossing out examples. It felt like lazy writing that they were so ill-prepared for its escape.

Agreed.

In my opinion it got off to a rocky start, picked up maybe half an hour in, and remained really entertaining from then to the very end -- just growing increasingly stupid over time, lol.

13. burnitup Still the Best 1973

They outright said the chip shocks dinosaurs that get to close to a perimeter. Likely it began shocking it at some point, maybe as it was escaping its enclosure, and realized it was probably being tracked with it. I mean, she was clever enough to engineer her own escape so it might be a possibility.

I wouldn't say "so bad it's good." I would just say "it's good."

14. Patman Bof

Look like zoo tamers are having a blast :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jurassic Dolphins.png
    [​IMG]

15. blazik Moogle Assistant

I watched first show of this movie. I really like this movie. good movie. But i was accepting more for this movie. But this movie is not bad. http://trailerweb.tumblr.com/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  16. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I liked the film myself, but there was one subplot that kind of irked me the whole time

What the heck is wrong with the supposedly dysfunctional family? You have the one line from the father, and the kid cries about leaving his brother, and that's about it. There's nothing in there about the family having issues. Not even afterwards when they get off the island.

It was full of cliches and obviously "why the hell" moments, but that's why I personally liked it. Though Doug Walker had it right in his Nostalgia Critic review of The Lost World, these guys don't remember what the heck happens in previous films. What about the whole speech from John Hammond at the end of the second film? So much for leaving the animals be and fend to themselves.

17. Hayabusa Venomous

The parents are getting divorced.

The promotion of Jurassic World repeatedly said that Lost World and Jurassic Park III would be ignored. That was one of the main things repeated in the comments for Doug and Rob's video review.

18. Iskandar King of Conquerors

No kidding Sherlock, I'm talking about the fact that it doesn't go into it that much.

I must have missed the part where they said they would be ignored. So are we supposed to just completely ignore the fact that those two films were made? And I don't read comments on those videos

19. Hayabusa Venomous

The smartass tone is not appreciated; your post wasn't very clear what you didn't understand.

I linked where it was said; a simple Google search brought up plenty of the same statements. And yeah, it looks like, for now, the studios are ignoring those films.

20. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

It was not the worst Jurrassic Movie, and it was not the worse. It was made for the solo propurse of super dino fights. And we got it.
    My problems:
    1) CG: The animatronics from the first movie seem more real than the CG ones from today... I get it they using on the Mosasaurus, being inside water and such, but the rest of them could use animatronics.
    2) Since the first movie we know much more about the dinosaurs than we did previously, they could make the dinosaurs more realistic, but prefer to make a new dinosaur.
    3) The time scale seems a bit off, from the previous movies since the dinosaurs left the island it seemed like a no return scenario (Pteranodons fly how did they manage to control them?).. sure in the first movie it was stated that they needed a protein only found on the artificial diet from the park, but the Dinosaurs found another way to survive (because if it was not the case there would not be another movie).
    How much time passed since the first movie? We know that the Dinosaurs "lost their magic" as people were not impressed by them... common.. they are real living monsters >O! The teen kid was there for show how much normal people care about dinosaurs. Not to mention there must be a long time again, because public opinion shifted from the fear to amazing controlled attractions.
    Ps.: They changed the logo from red to blue, wow! Doesn't seem like the same at all.
    4) The trained Raptors didn't bother me as there was a lot of explaining to it, and Dinosaurs are modern day birds so it isn't so far fetched to think that they could be trained. The real problem was the team up with the Tiranossaur against the Indominus.