iTunes Won't Update

Discussion in 'Technology' started by The Twin, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Twin My, what a strange duet

My iTunes keeps popping up with a note saying an update is available, but every time I download the update and go to install it, I'm only given two options: repair and remove.

If I choose repair it locks up, and I can't free the computer from it unless I go into the Task Manager. I thought it might be because I have the most recent version and it seems to have forgotten that (I think it's 10.6.04, at least that's what my version is)but I have been wrong before.

And for the record, my machine's a Windows XP with SP3 installed.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Are you getting any error messages?

3. Misty gimme kiss

I would go to Apple's website and download the latest version. Make sure iTunes is closed and run the installer--it should preserve all your music & such, and just install the new version.

4. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I hadn't been getting any error messages, but the computer would lock up.

Let me see what happens if I download iTunes from the site without opening up the updater in my current version. Interestingly enough, it says the version I'd like to install is version 10.6.1.7

EDIT: So it's downloaded, it started the installation process but nothing else has happened yet.

So after leaving the thing alone for about a half hour while I did a couple errands iTunes updated at last. I guess this means the next time iTunes tells me it needs and update I'll tell it no, close it, and go directly to the site instead. There must have been some kind of hiccup between iTunes and the update server.

Thanks for the help. I swear I find more answers here than I do with customer support sites.

5. Misty gimme kiss

Not a problem. Glad you've got it working. (:
    _LOCKED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.