Is there such a thing as Turn based RP?

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Krowley, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Krowley Moderator

I've been planing on making an in depth RP with stats, leveling and Boss battles.
    I also want to create a sort of battle system similar to final fantasy games acted out in the forum.
    My only concern is whether or not this idea would work.

Thoughts?

2. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

It could, but it has kinks in RPing fashion. I've done something similar in the Spam Zone.
    http://www.kh-vids.net/showthread.php?113088-Dissidia-KHV-Final-Fantasy

I think the biggest thing would be deciding who goes first and whether they should post in a thread or PM you the move, as the latter could lead to less RPing fun and more waiting but the former can lead to unfairness

3. Pinekaboo Chaser

Unless I'm mistaken, there was talk of something similar to this a while ago, and it never really came into fruition.
    I don't see why it wouldn't work, other than Final Fantasy's time-based 'turns', which would be difficult to pull off. A standard turn-based thing would be fine, though it would definitely require some level of dedication to the RP from its players, since posts would have to be made in a specific order.

4. Arch Mana Knight

Stuff like this has been tried several times. Once(or twice maybe) by me, another time by Slaughtermatic, and maybe two other times. Only one RP to my knowledge has ever actually started and survived for a couple dozen posts in this fashion. It can work but it has to be simple.

5. Jayn

As stated before, it can work. There's no real restriction with these kinds of things in the RP Arena. There has been interest shown towards these types of role plays. I've never seen a totally successful one, but with careful planning and dedication, along with some solid support, someone could pull it off. You'd just have to stick through with it.

6. Ego Imperium Twilight Town Denizen

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
    In technical terms, any battles that are waged in RPs should be turn based, to whatever extent possible (typically by way of people posting in rotations so they all get an equal opportunity to defend and counter against one another). Stat-based RPs have been made. I've seen them pretty often, though never to much success. Stats can only go so far in a text-based medium of role playing before it negates the creative writing aspects of the trade.

7. Always Dance Chaser

(Hah, necrobump) I'd just like to point out that I'm still interested in the long dead RP idea from long ago. Still willing to write the program and everything. Just Saiyan.

8. Krowley Moderator

I wanted a battle system similar to this for the RP in my sig. Unfortunately I don't have the programming skills.