Sony Is Sony dying?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta The Demon Slayer

I mean are they going out of business? It's really not looking good for them from what I've heard...Nintendo has taken the gaming market by storm. And Sony is being left in the dust. And I heard a rumor recently that Sony may go bankrupt next year. And I REALLY don't want that to happen...

2. libregkd -

3. Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta The Demon Slayer

4. libregkd -

5. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

No, stable as ever in the gaming department. I've not seen Sony have a fault in a long while concering that, not since the account hacking. But nope, see no short term problems or long term, maybe very long term bu that's years.

Nintendo I would've said is doing the least well in terms of gaming (they're too focused at the casual gamers, ai can't even care too much anymore), especially when compared to themselves many years ago.

6. Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta The Demon Slayer

7. jafar custom title

easier =/= casual.

8. Kites Chaser

If sony was doing so badly developers wouldn't keep producing exclusives for the console don't you think?

9. libregkd -

10. Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta The Demon Slayer

I recently heard that Microsoft is the company making the most money.

Also it looked to me like HD Graphics were pretty much the only thing Sony had to back them up. But now Nintendo has taken that from them too because the Wii U has HD Graphics...

11. libregkd -

12. Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta The Demon Slayer

13. Llave Superless Moderator

*Backseat Modding mode initiated* Add more meat to your post. *Disable Backseat Modding BURRRrrr*

I don't think they are losing their game (no pun intended), but I think there could be more ways of doing better. As a company, they are pretty strong, I believe they have like tvs, dvd players, cameras, all that kinda crap, but if they wanna strengthen their gaming outlet, I suppose they should cut back on non-essential products that really don't serve them any purpose or profit.

14. libregkd -

15. Llave Superless Moderator

16. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I don't think that they are going to "disappear" anytime soon. They took a big hit from the PS Vita "thing" but other than that they've just been sony. Sony has been around for years and I can't see them leaving anytime soon.

17. Hayabusa Venomous

lol no

-Quite a few great console exclusives in recent years (Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War series, Persona series, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Resistance, etc.)
    -Free Online Multiplayer (as long as the game doesn't do the stupid online pass thing that's unfortunately becoming more common)
    -Blu-Ray (I love my Xbox, but it can't play those, and never will)
    -Uses any FAT32 notebook hard drive while Xbox can (I believe?) only take specifically made ones (recently upgraded my PS3 to 500 GB hard drive)
    -Playstation Plus is pretty awesome (I don't use it personally, but it looks totally worth it for the savings and benefits)
    -Connectivity with PSP and PS Vita (game data and saves, music, photos, videos, etc.)

Sony is doing just fine. Don't listen to fanboys.

18. Itachilives Gummi Ship Junkie

They are having problems but I doubt this will be the end for them.

19. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    The most mismanaged handheld in the last decade says hi.

Translation: "WAAAAH!!! Nintendo isn't pandering to ME!!! WAAAAAH!!!" Look past your bias and you'll see that Nintendo is doing quite well.The 3DS and Wii U may not be where they wanted them, but it is absurd to say that they're doing poorly, especially when you consider the fact that their least successful consoles, the N64 and Gamecube, were still successful enough to make profits and Nintendo has never been in a truly dire situation. Their handhelds are the only consistently successful line of handhelds in gaming history and their consoles are always at least modestly successful.

Anyway, to answer the OP, Sony had a rough generation compared to the two before, but, really, that should have been expected from the moment they announced the PS3, when they justified the second most expensive console in gaming history by citing customer loyalty. They let their ego grow too much with their massive success with the PS1 and PS2 and even the modest early success with the PSP, which is more than can be said for literally every other company that tried to compete with Nintendo in the handheld arena.

The PS3 may not be nearly as successful as Sony wanted and expected, but it is still very successful. The Vita may be absurdly mismanaged to the point where no one seems to have any idea what Sony's going to do with, including Sony themselves, but it is hardly killing them. Hurting them? Oh yeah, you can't botch a hardware launch that badly and not be hurt, but it is absurd to say that it is their death.

Not to mention Sony's other branches which are just as, if not more, successful than Sony Computer Entertainment. Their movie branch is one of the world's biggest studios, their music branch is one of the top record companies and their large variety of other consumer electronics are generally fine products that continue to make Sony money. So, really, Sony's only real problem is their ego and the fact that they sometimes treat their customers rather poorly.

20. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I know Nintendo is doing well, they are selling well, but I don't place a value on a company's monetary worth exclusively but on their ability to balance it with marketing and customer demands/service. Nintendo is marketing to a niche audience these days, the casual gamer and their service to dedicated customers over the years is not being repaid with what they demand. It's not non existent but it's not respectfult o us the dedicated customers to not be included as a major part of future nintendo plans. That's just good business sense. Worrying about the quick money now leads to quicker failures and bankrupcy.

Sony may not have the biggest way of getting grand and enormous profits, but their brand alone is something that is marketed to most gamers as wide ranged and offers a lot for their customers. The PS3 has the most adaptabily and wide range of marketing out of all the consoles i'd say, it can be sold as a family console for the kids with Wonderbook and LittleBigPlanet, a dedicated gamer with COD and other FPS games, more traditonal gamers with mareketing of RPGs and the fact they are the main developer of Japanese games, a huge market in itself.
    It also offers great customer service with free online play, PS+ which allows a backlo library of games, interocnnectivity between handheld and home consoles, not to mention the PSV and PS3 'buy the game and get a free copy on your other console' which they easily could've made you pay for that service. They actually listen to their fanbase more so and add decent insentives to get their share of the market.

In the end both are flawed, but neither are goong anytime soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.