Is Satan actually evil?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Inasuma, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tallian Banned

I hope you know God didn't tell Abraham to kill Issac, right? Abraham was jealous of his brother and killed him.

2. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Stay on topic...it's starting to coast away. >=| -- LOL

I know tallian, one of the things I find interesting in the real world, is why it's so easy for people to believe in the Devil/demons, but so hard for them to believe in God...I find it funny, actually.

3. L337 kybldmstr Destiny Islands Resident

Well, I don't believe in Christianity, even though I'm listed as an Anglican, so I don't even believe Satan existed.

But Satan is portrayed as evil, and there's an entire religion (and BIBLE) devoted to him, so he must be. If he exists at all (which I doubt).

4. Big C Destiny Islands Resident

This thread is crazy. Let me just address a few things I noticed while reading through it.

Firstly, there is tons of people stating their own personal beliefs and opinions as fact, which is a pet peeve of mine.

Second, evil does exist. Someone can do something evil, and think that it isn't evil. But just because they think it isn't evil doesn't mean it isn't. Thinking that you are right is not the same thing as being right. But as long as there are complete opposite actions (ie. killing someone vs. not killing someone), one will be good and one will be evil. Now I suppose you could argue that the accepted evil and the accepted good are really the opposite, but then there is still an evil and still a good.

But as has been condescendingly stated before in this thread, "please keep it intel". Mumbling something about people not believing themselves to be evil and therefore evil not existing is not "intel". I could say that I'm not a human being. If I truly believed it, it wouldn't make me some other species. I'd still be a human being. Believing something doesn't make it true.

Okay, now, provided we can agree that evil DOES in fact exist, we can move on to whether or not Satan is evil. I am a Christian and I believe that the Satan of Christianity is evil. If you are not a Christian or you do not believe in Satan as he is described in the Bible, then we are most likely not going to agree. That doesn't make either opinion invalid, and I was slightly annoyed by this:
    "Explain please. I don't want 'he's evil 'cause I'm christian' I want 'he's evil because...' With some sort of proof and reasonable data showing me you KNOW he is evil. If not, then I find that response to be very childish...=\"

First of all, none of us can conclusively KNOW that Satan is evil, because none of us can prove the existence of Satan. The only data I could ever possibly present is the percieved evil actions of humanity, and my own (Christian) belief that Satan is the underlying cause of those actions. My opinion that Satan is evil is based on my belief in Christianity. Much like my belief in the very existence of Satan is based on the belief that he exists at all. If I was an athiest, I would not believe in God or Satan, and arguing the merits of Satan would be pointless.

So the reason I believe Satan is evil is because the Bible says as much. Specifically, his actions in the Garden of Eden and his betrayal of God speak to his evilness. Tempting the first humans, and perpetuating sin throughout the history of humanity are actions that are definitively evil. Anyone who knowingly, purposefully, and repeatedly commits such evil should certainly be labelled as an evil being.

5. Rufus Hollow Bastion Committee

well i would say Satan is evil >> since i dun rly care, but it all depends on what you believe in x3

6. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

According to the Bible, it's Satan's fault we arn't living in bliss in the Garden of Eden because he tempted Eve to eat an apple from The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. We wouldn't have to worry about sickness or financial problems. >_>

7. 2Foxxie4U ~The Forgotten Crusader...~

God believe in freedom of choice. He doesn't want his followers just to be mindless clones of him, he wants people he can really trust.

And besides, in the Bible it said that God doesn't like torturing the wicked, he's just trying to be fair.

As for the whole "Is Satan Evil?" thing... I actually dunno. =\

I don't know his motives, and I really don't wanna know. >.>

If he's again't my god, that's all I need to know.

8. Rena88 Twilight Town Denizen

i kno some of u mite be upset at me for continuing this thread but i gotta say somethin.
    i am a christian. i believe that the Bible wasnt jes written by some overimaginative guys. it is the word of God (many people wrote it over a span of many many years) and many of the "stories" can be referenced to other historical documents (like Egyptian stuff or something, i forget). the Bible itself says that Satan is evil:
    Matthew 6:13 "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."
    there are other verses but i jes wanted u to kno Satan is refered to as evil. and God is perfect. He doesnt make us suffer, He allows us to suffer. we only suffer because of our lives in sin. Satan didnt jes have a difference of opinion with God, he was power hungry and wanted to be a god himself. many of you say Satan doesnt seem like a bad guy but thats his point. Satan wants to look good (and make sin look good) so youre more opt to keep sinning. i could keep going but id be getting off subject. so, in a nutshell, Satan is evil.

9. Claryssa Destiny Islands Resident

Yes, God told Abraham to kill Isaac. (By the way Isaac was his son, not brother). God had a reason for this though. He was testing Abraham's loyalty. Abraham nearly did it too; however, God sent an angel to stop him and provided a ram in place of Isaac for Abraham to sacrifice.

You are mixing up people from the Bible Tallian.

The man who killed his brother was named Cain and he was the first murderer, according to the Bible.

10. dandanrevolutionextreme Banned

thiis a good point. maybe hes not so bad. just because you work for a bad company, doesnt mean your a bad person. it could just be his job title. similar to the people who work for the IRS

11. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

What makes you idiots bump a topic like this. Seriously, I want to know. What makes you go back all those pages, look for the oldest thread, and bump it just to say something stupid...

12. Cody Chaser

Yeah, newbs do this alot.
    Then they get locked because of it >.>

13. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Well, I realize n00bs do this... But what I want to know while waiting for the lock is what actually compels them to do such a thing...

14. Sara Tea Drinker

Two words: Post count...

In any case, since this is being spammy now and is old...

-LOCKED-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.