Is marijuana bad for you?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by woodstockfootball26, Jan 22, 2013.

?

Is Weed bad for you?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2021.
  1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

Listening to a lot of music increases risk of depression as well, and it's said pulling an all-nighter can greatly increase risk for developing schizophrenia, and alcohol kills brain cells and effects the memory. The thing about weed is it increases the risks but doesn't actually cause those things and most things these days can increase the risk for all the stuff you listed. Potato chips have chemicals in them that make them highly addicting and that's why when you eat one you have to eat more. If weed should be illegal because of those little risks and side effects then so should basically everything else we do in our everyday lives.

2. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I'm saying there is biased for both sides of the argument, and the legality of the drug doesn't change the effects of it. I'm also saying it's not as healthy as people may make it out to be, it's a bad behavioural and health choice akin to over eating, under eating. smoking, regularly eating fatty foods, over gaming, staying up late, and lots more. People will still do it, sure, but it shouldn't be ignored that cannabis is still a harmful substance no matter what.

And when people say 'increase the risk' they mean that the stimuli in question is either what makes you more susceptible to it, or that it is partly the cause of the response but without exact evidence to prove it. Marijuana falls into both categories, depending on what the effect we're talking about is. Marijuana can cause schizophrenia, since the delusions and the hallucinations created by smoking it means the chance of further effects occurring again, even when not smoking it. Increased usage means more chance of it to become permanent. I would say that's more of a cause than an susceptibility, but maybe that's just me.

I'm more at risk to get hypothermia in colder weather. I minimise that risk by dressing warm, not avoiding going out at all, nor accepting that everything has the chance to make me ill so why bother, but instead to prepare myself, and tip the odds as much as I can in my favour, of not getting hypothermia.

Also, a link for a few health risks to do with marijuana usage here.

3. Patman Bof

Huh ? I know people often joke about marijuana making them see pink elephants in tutus or something, but they' re being hyperbolic, marijuana doesn' t actually cause delusions or hallucinations (or rather it doesn' t increase the odds for that, even sane and healthy people can have those).

If memory serves marijuana can only increase your odds to become schyzophrenic (or to experience schyzophrenic hallucinations) if you were schyzophrenic or genetically predisposed to become schyzophrenic to begin with.

4. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

Basically this. I see where PaW is coming from on everything he's saying and agree with him, but smoking weed doesn't cause hallucinations, unless it's laced with some hallucinogens, which is very rare.

5. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

To quote wikipedia:

It has the chemical compound in it to cause hallucinations, and i've read it can cause schizophrenia, or at least schizophrenic like symptoms with enough regular usage (multiple consumptions each day). And you're right about predisposed schizophrenic people, it makes them more likely than a non-predisposed people for it to develop fully. I will add wht was said right after in the wiki article:

So obviously taking one smoke of marijuana won't obviously cause you to turn schizophrenic, however the repeated build up of the THC in your system creates the hallucinations. Of course, not to the same extent as other, harder drugs like magic mushrooms.

I studied Schizophrenia 4 years ago ofr Psychology, just trying to remember how drugs can cause it, so my wires are a bit crossed at times.

6. woodstockfootball26 Traverse Town Homebody

Half of that statement is bullshit. How is weed one of the most HEALTHIEST things you can do? It can damage your brain, numbs your nervous system and not to mention, you're inhaling smoke into your lungs? It was made illegal because of all the dangers it can put you in when you're high because of the state of mind you're in.