Is Kingdom Hearts II Easier than Kingdom Hearts?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Amaury, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

So in Kingdom Hearts, Cure used only one magic point. However, this was changed in Kingdom Hearts II in that it used all magic points. I'm not counting Auron, Simba, and Riku in this since they have Healing Water, Healing Herb, and Cure Potion, respectively, and those use 99 MP, so they have two usages.

Do you think this is because Kingdom Hearts II is easier than Kingdom Hearts? I'd like to lean on yes, because if Cure worked in Kingdom Hearts like it did in Kingdom Hearts II, for example, there would be no way to get past bosses like Dragon Maleficent. In Kingdom Hears II, it seems like it's easier to last until either Sora or Donald's magic points regenerate.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

Kingdom Hearts seemed hard because the leveling was determined by choices you had no idea would do anything. However, in KH2, there were so many areas that were easy to level up at, you were almost always guaranteed to be overleveled. In KH1, you almost never were overleveled. That's my opinion, though.

3. A Zebra Chaser

KH2 isn't just easier than KH1
    It's easier than any other game in the franchise
    They gave away invincibiltiy frames like they were free, gave us reflect, drive forms. It's an overall smoother game, too
    Critical Mode KH2 is roughly as hard as Standard Mode KH1

4. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

KH I is more difficult, but not in a good way, it is not more difficult because of the challenge, but in truth because of the poor control in comparison (that camera mainly).

That being said KH II gave you too many options for healing(forms, summons, potions, friends, monsters) so cura had to have a counter point to it... than again even knowing that it would cost all your mp you could just use it with bearly none and get the same result.[DOUBLEPOST=1376457547][/DOUBLEPOST]KH I is more difficult, but not in a good way, it is not more difficult because of the challenge, but in truth because of the poor control in comparison (that camera mainly).

That being said KH II gave you too many options for healing(forms, summons, potions, friends, monsters) so cura had to have a counter point to it... than again even knowing that it would cost all your mp you could just use it with bearly none and get the same result.

5. 61 No. B

Of course it's easier. I don't need to go into details of why because we're all well aware of them.
    That doesn't mean it's not fun, though. Before DDD I would have said that KH2 is the most fun in the series.
    The thing is though is that KH has never been a series of tremendous difficulty that demands hours and hours of gameplay to continue. Some of the games have optional parts that give that more difficult or demanding aspect that some people may be looking for, but on the surface they're all just fun games you can put in and play for a while without much trouble.

6. Aelin Best Waifu

No matter how you look at it KH2 is easier. I never got stuck as much on kh2. The way the magic system in kh2 worked was a bit more annoying in my opinion but the gameplay itself was easy enough to make up for that. I go back through the two games and I definitely take more time and effort to beat kh1. Which is good, I like the challenge. Both games could probably take aspects from each other though to make them a similar difficulty level that would be in the middle of the two game and the the game play better. For example the magic system from kh1 being used again. Also Sora's drive forms defiantlyhelped a lot in the second game.

7. Zeroxys Twilight Town Denizen

The only fights i ever really died at in KHII was Xigbar, and thats only cuz he was rough. In KH i couldnt tell you how many times i died on cerberus, Ursula, Meleficent, Riku (hallow bastion). and Of course Sephiroth. KH2 was easier imo, but still an overall great game :)

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

Let's see if I can remember off the top of my head... When I first played through the game, I had trouble with, in order of worlds:
    • Guard Armor
    • Cerberus
    • Clayton and Stealth Sneak
      - More so Stealth Sneak than Clayton
    • Pot Centipede
    • Tiger Head
    • Parasite Cage II
    • Ursula
    • Giant Ursula
    • Anti-Sora
    • Dragon Maleficent
    • Riku II
    • Chernabog
    • Ansem II
    • Phantom
    • Kurt Zisa
    • Ice Titan
    • Sephiroth
    I may be missing some, but that's all I think of at the moment.

Really, the only ones that give me trouble now are:
    • Anti-Sora
    • Riku II
    • Kurt Zisa
    • Ice Titan
    • Sephiroth
      - Although I haven't fought the last two in a long time

9. Arch Mana Knight

The first game was definitely harder than the second. But I'd hardly considering the controls of KH1 to be worse. In fact, I felt that it felt better than KH2. The close up camera made fights feel that much more epic. Not having special effects taking up half the screen when the keyblade hit something gave attacks a bit more weight. Combat was slower but it felt like it had more meaning, like it was more personal. Yeah, there were some camera issues but I never really noticed them most of the time. Admittedly, I've replayed KH2 more than KH1 but that's just because it was easier to jump in and mess about. Less thought was required. I didn't even have to worry about magic because it would always recharge pretty quickly if I ran out. In KH1, you regained MP by connecting enough hits to enemies or with MP orbs. Otherwise, you needed items or a save point to recharge it. Also loved the fact that you could "overcharge" your MP gauge by having it fully charged and landing enough hits to line up the blue gauge with enough yellow bars to act as an extra cast of magic. It felt great.

10. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Totally agree on that one. Especially that jumping to one place to another is hard with Sora's mobility....

Anyways, It doesn't matter to me, since I never really had much difficulty in KHI. But it is a little challenging. The only bosses that I've ever had difficulty in defeating are:
    • Ursula (Mainly because I still don't know what to do to defeat her.)
      Ansem II (The second time you fight him before the World of Chaos.)
      Sephiroth
      Ice Titan
      Kurt Ziza

And that's about it. It's kinda weird that I didn't have that much difficulty with Riku-Ansem, when a lot of people have a lot of difficulty with him. Probably because I kept on using deft jumping and Dodge Roll....

11. Mysty Unknown

Kingdom Hearts was more difficult and at times more boring. (Deep Jungle anyone). Not to mention the extra bosses were harder. I can't say much being that I only read the manga and watched brief gameplay my friend did in both games but from what I am told, overall KHII was much easier.

12. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Meh, on average I used less Cures in KHII than KHI, so this is probably true. I mean, it's definitely true that KHII is easier, for a lot of reasons. But it does make sense they'd try to mask that by lessening your access to Cure. Thing is, I didn't use less Cures because I had less opportunities; in KHI, before you get MP Rage it may take just as long to get a Cure as it does in KHII.

The difference is that, at least at the start, KHI urges you to be aggressive; you can't charge your MP without attacking. If you have proper rhythm, as most people probably did, then you'd usually have MP to spare. KHII uses a rather brutish system by comparison, which essentially makes it impossible to be a dedicated caster. You can't even kill one wave of Heartless without running out, and then you incur a penalty that probably lasts quatrice as long as it took you to cast those spells in the first place.

So in short, KHI is more challenging, but it's also more rewarding; you control the fight, you get hits in, you get MP, you get to heal. In that way, it's easy to build momentum and steamroll a lot of bosses. KHII just penalizes you nonstop in lieu of actual difficulty, but naturally you won't notice because you're mashing your way through and nothing can kill you.

Staunch disagreement. KHI is both more challenging and not as annoying or cruel because its controls/mechanics are much tighter. No amount of subpar camera can change that, and frankly, if you want a bad camera, try a Sonic game some time. Hell, try Devil May Cry; it doesn't have camera controls, and it still works fine.

13. ghostninja0 Moogle Assistant

I feel like I really should disagree with that final statement. The game itself was still very hard on critical mode, given that unless you picked shield, you'd be OHK'd constantly later on in the game. This made the boss battles way more intense. I feel like KH1 itself was actually pretty easy on proud mode, as was proud mode on KH2. While I agree that KH1 was harder, I think that comparing KH2 Critical to KH1 Standard is a complete over-exaggeration.

14. Glen Returned from the dead

You can beat Dragon Maleficent with ease in KH1 without using a single cure. All you do is sit back as far away from her as possible, lock on to her, and spam the triangle button. Your party members can weaken her to the point she's literally one hit away from being beaten, then you do the honours. Boring, and takes a long time, but you can manage it if you're that desperate to not use a healing spell/item.

To answer the question though, I think KH2 was quite a lot easier than the original. The bosses seemed to be a little easier to beat, as did the enemies in the game itself in my opinion. The fact that you could literally heal then just run around/evade until the mp bar refilled only made it that much easier, as in KH1 you had to actually risk something to get the reward of more mp.

15. Labrys King's Apprentice

Yes kh 2 is much easier yet only as far as leveling and gameplay goes. Let's not forget that the heartless and bosses are much more difficult now because they have more of a category of attacks unlike kh 1.

16. benjizz Destiny Islands Resident

Kh1 iz ridicilluslh mpre difficult thiswas why they made Kh2 easier,maybe if they were a bit too easy.Maybe it is thier way of saying sorry for kh1 s difficulty.But do not forget mosr of us were quite young when we firsr played Kh1 irt may seem easier for us now npw that we more gaming experience. But still hard nonetheless.

17. Xenao Traverse Town Homebody

Yeah I played kh1 again about 2 years ago and it was pretty easy, completed it 100% sephiroth was probably the hardest part, no surprise there, and was definitely surprised when I found out that its only a bronze trophy on 1.5

18. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

I think KHII is easier because of the attack style--you're handed a lot more than you are in KHI, which has a much simpler and limited attack style. For instance, the reaction commands in KHII are cool, but they 1) don't require a lot of skill (just press triangle at the right time, and they give you a wide time window, too--ironically unlike the mini games in Atlantica), and 2) usually serve as Sora's "special attack" and therefore deplete a lot of the enemy's HP. This makes KHII a much smoother run for me. Whenever I'm in the mood for a KH console game but I don't wanna put in a lot of effort, I play the second. Honestly, the only real challenges I encounter in that game are Xigbar and Demyx (the latter mainly because of his stupid dancing water people). KHI calls for a lot more strategy, I think...as well as more desperate button-mashing. :D

19. Zexal_123 Moogle Assistant

I feel the same way I love kingdom Hearts II because of it's long plot but not even proud mode in KHII is as difficult as the final boss fights in kingdom hearts

20. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

Case in point--I've never actually gotten past the third battle in KHI, but the final string of battles in KHII is easier for me than fighting Xigbar is.