is it science or God?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by MandyXRiku4ever, May 7, 2010.

1. Johnny Bravo Chaser

Then what formed the bacteria we supposedly evolved from?

2. Nova We left a scar size extra-large.

Evolution. Planet Earth. :B|:

3. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Something can't come from nothing. Evolution doesn't make species magically appear.

4. Johnny Bravo Chaser

^this

Something cannot just form from mid-air, something else has to create it.

5. Nova We left a scar size extra-large.

Of course not, but how else could the universe be created? Why can't something come from nothing? Ya'll should read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Gallaxy series, lol. I think you would enjoy it. ​

6. Johnny Bravo Chaser

Can 0 X 0 = 1? thats basically what your saying, its impossible for nothing to form something.

7. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Basically what Apoligetix said.

I also thought I would go back to this since I forgot to answer it.

The Big Bang is a theory that states that the universe was originally extremely hot and dense in the past and has since cooled by expanding to the present state that it is today and even then the universe continues to expand. Without anything to prove the earliest instant of the expansion, the Big Bang theory cannot and does not provide any explanation for the beginning of the universe; rather, it describes and explains how the universe developed into what it is today and how it will continue to develop.

8. Nova We left a scar size extra-large.

That's only what we've been taught to think. :B|:​

Hmm... Okay. So... We don't know, nor will we ever know how it began... Oh well. Our loss.

9. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

If the universe began is a tight and densely packed entity of all the matter that is rapidly expanding and maintaining the current state of existence then it contained the base elements for organic life. How those elements found themselves organized into the first organisms remains much of a mystery still. But it still does not presuppose any form of intelligent design if that's what you're getting at.

10. Cicada Killer Destiny Islands Resident

I was both by my bio teacher that there are scientist who believe in god, but they also believe in science. So yeah, I am not really sure what to believe though to be honest... I figure that I am here and stick to the current since otherwise I end up sad or something due to my depression disorder
    o_o;

11. Bond of Flame I'm an alien

Mh... I'd say God. Why? There's a solution for everything.

Hungry? You can decide to eat something...
    Thirsty? You can decide to drink something...
    Tired? You can decide to rest for a bit...

Those kind of things. It can't just be a mere coincidence that any 'problem' can be solved with something, someone must have created all this.

12. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

The other mystery would be how all of those base elements for organic life got there in the first place. Something had to have created them because like I said before: "Something doesn't come from nothing". So we could assume that some intelligent and higher power created those elements and set things into motion and we have the universe as it is today.

13. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

A soul is a manifestation of your being. Your likes, your dislikes, your thoughts, your instincts, your beliefs, your disbeliefs and the list goes on. Of course this is science, religion is a thought of a belief so religion manifests withing the soul meaning that god is apart of those who have the belief in him but not in those who don't.

14. Styx That's me inside your head.

That's a ******ed argument.
    If there was no solution for these problems, then we would no longer exist. Without rest or nourishment our species, or any species for that matter would have been extinct long ago. Then you wouldn't be here anymore to observe it. There may have been countless unsolvable problems in the past, but they were so detrimental that they have extinct anything that those problems concerned.

Not everything has been solved. Everything that wasn't a big enough problem to extinguish us so far has been solved, or minimized, or just hasn't been relevant yet, or isn't that bad yet. Your examples are dumb too; hunger and fatigue can easily be explained scientifically and their solutions are therefore not "coincidences".

This all pales in comparison to That One Hole in your reasoning, the single reason why no person in his right mind would ever defend it. That hole is called "not knowing what the fuck is happening in the world".
    Allow me to illustrate.
    Yeah, you can take something out of the fridge whenever you're hungry. But there's this funny place to the east of America and south of Europe. It' called Africa. People might have heard of it: legend has it that there's a certain world cup taking place there this very instant.
    The thing about this "Africa" is...These people are poor. They don't eat very much, nor very often. And yet they are very familiar with this hunger you speak of. Funny, isn't it? Maybe you should preach your theory there. That'd be fun.

15. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

I just saw my friend styx quote this so i decided to break this down into what it is.It's a naive statement that i'd associate with someone that lakcs enough information to make a certain opinion. I would like to pose a problem to you and by your logic there should a solution. I walk into a hospital with a desert eagle with one round for every person in that hospital, I start from the base floor a go up through all three floorsw shooting every last person in the head. that means Babies, toddlers, Children, Man and Women. At the end of it all i justify it by saying that a voice in my head compelled me to do it and after this i put a bullet in my own head and that is the end....where is the solution in it?
    I don't even have to be that extreme. When a family member of yours dies, whats the solution in that? If a man robs the poor of what little money they have and can sleep soundly in their expensive house with his well off family, where is the solution in that? I have posed to you three problems, one extreme and inprobable and two happening every day. If your thought is true than you can create solutions to all of these problems. The thing is that these problems are not solved and hence it proves you wrong so please next time get more information and be more educated on the subject before giving a response to a question posed.

16. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

But you're assuming that there was a nothing to begin with and that's not something you can fully motivate an argument for intelligent design with. It may just be the case that the universe has progressively expanded, contracted, and then expanded again in ad finitum in which each contraction provides the necessary stuff for the next expansion. It's certainly a question of where all that stuff for the first expansion began, but even then it provides an equally shaky ground for either side to presuppose anything. To assume that there was nothing and then something does not provide enough to make a convincing point about willful, intelligent design. it could have all been an accident for all we know. Moreover, should we even involve the possibility of a higher power we would have to clarify what we mean by that. By all rights we could still be referring to the Big Bang when we discuss higher power. For now it is something that we characterize as the near limitless of the expansion of the universe from an early point. But it's certainly possible for the bang to have provided the correct environment for atoms to form organic molecules.

You've described something very similar to consciousness. And if the soul seems more or less the same as consciousness it seems difficult to parse the two and actually conceive of something spiritual like the soul. If we're still dealing with something that comes from the hardware we're endowed with--namely the brain-- an immaterial entity like the soul is either still without definition or we've just confused it with something else.

I sort of see what you've tried to do. The analogy is wrong though. You've tried to compare the problem of the creation of the universe to the problem of our biological short comings. And it doesn't work. Moreover you assume that the problem and the solution for each of those three things is mapped like black and white. However, just as we eat because we're hungry, we're hungry because we need to eat. The problem of needing to eat can be solved with the purposeful behaviour and bodily responses of hunger. That is to say, the problem and the solution can be interchanged. Your reasoning hasn't solved anything.

17. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

But you're assuming that the universe is finite when you say that and we have no clue whether or not the universe is infinite or finite(feel free to correct me though). Even if the universe is finite, that doesn't mean that the universe will contract, stop and then commence to expand again. It could very well keep on contracting and contracting until all matter would collapse into itself and cause various black holes until the universe gets swallowed into nothingness. By higher power, I mean a God, deity or something of the sort. Also in various religions, God is considered to be omnipresent, omnipotent and considered to be everything around us so for all we know, the Big Bang could be God and God provided the necessary environment for atoms to form the organic molecules that make us up.

18. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

First of all we have no evidence for a supernatural being that created everything. Adding God to the equation is pretty much like saying X did it.
    If we add God in then we have to add the creator of God to it too, and his creator, and the creator of his creator, and the creator of that diety, and the creator of that deity, and the creator of that deity.

19. Repliku Chaser

It started from nature, the multi-verse. We can't explain it all but the evidence points to nature isn't perfect but it is powerful and we are still evolving. It won't stop even if we humans decide to wipe ourselves out or if an asteroid strikes our happy planet.

We use science to study and examine it. Science isn't a belief. It is a methodology or series of formulas and approaches. God/Yahweh is an imaginary friend to help people cope with what they don't understand and won't even try to study. Religion is a crutch and has some cool stories in it.

Nature is what kicked it all off. Neither science nor Yahweh did as one is a method of researching things and the other is an imagination gone wild that is used to control other humans.

20. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

First of all, even science doesn't have any evidence for what created the universe. Most people just say that it's the Big Bang but even then we don't know what the earliest condition for the Big Bang is. Also your argument is assuming that the past is infinite which it isn't. If I told you that I had just counted down from infinity to zero, starting with “infinity minus zero†and carrying on until I reached zero, then you would know that I was lying through my teeth. Just as it is impossible to count from zero to infinity, it's also impossible to count down from infinity to zero. If I had started counting down from infinity and kept going, then I would still be counting to this day. This is because it is impossible to cross an infinite series. If the universe had an infinite past, then time would have had to count down from infinity to reach the present and would not have reached it. The fact that we have reached the present therefore shows that the past is not infinite but finite. Since the past can't go back forever, the universe must have a beginning. . This has already been confirmed by modern science, which traces the universe back to the initial condition or cause of the Big Bang. The question is whether something caused this beginning, or whether the universe just popped into existence out of nothing. We all know something comes from something. The fact that the universe began to exist therefore implies that something brought it into existence, that the universe has a first cause. If this first cause was a being that exists in time like the universe and us then it too would have to have been created by something. Something has to come from something, and the only thing that comes from nothing is nothing. This tells us that the first cause of the universe must be a being that exists outside of time, an eternal being with neither beginning nor end. Something that doesn't have a cause. Replace the word "first cause" with "God" and I just shot down your argument.