Is it right for a Girl to pay for the date?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Rissy, May 22, 2009.

1. I'm one of those "modern girls" that insist on paying. I had a boyfriend who followed the proper etiquette of the guy paying for the date, the dinner, etc. I think it was more the way his mother raised him. One day, I went to the market with the family, and when we were unloading the bags from the car in his house, I wanted to help, and he wouldn't let me. I finally convinced him, and I carried the grocery. And the mom was giving him this look. Either way, though, I believe in equality, and I don't think one person should pay for everything. Just as I don't think the guy should be responsible for all the work and money. We've come so far, women work and can earn money by themselves, and really, times have changed. If anything, I would like the bill to be split in half. Or sometimes, let him pay for certain things, and then I pay for certain things. It's only fair. Some might feel used, or some might get annoyed by it sometimes if they are always depended on for the cost.

My best friend and I do that, for example. When one doesn't have enough money, or has money, but will be used for something more important, or no money at all, we take the turn to pay for each other, and take care of everything. This way, I don't feel like I owe her, or she owes me, and we share. We both know that we are going to repay each other back eventually.

2. water mage Kingdom Keeper

I don't think it really matters. It used to be more custom that a guy was a gentleman if he payed for the date, but now a days it doesn't even matter since tradition doesn't play a serious role in society to this day. Now if a guy wants to then there is nothing wrong with that, but if the girl wants to just go dutch then by all means, go with whatever is more comfortable.

3. Sumi suicidé

I'm usually the one that has money in the first place -_-
    Really, I don't think it matters who pays. Whoever does so, does so. I mean, I don't let my boyfriend most times, just beacause I know that he has it rough at home. He seems to not care too much. My mom is always all, "The boy has to pay for the date." but I think that's stupid. Men and Women are equal so why does only the man have to pay? I guess that's all that's left of the days of men paying girl's fathers for their hand. I'm glad those days are over, and don't care to relive them. Not that I went through them in the first place, but you get my point.​

4. Vladimir Makarov Gummi Ship Junkie

true. it is traditional for the guy to pay. i would. i believe a gentleman would do it.

5. Sora March Twilight Town Denizen

It is the 21st century, is it not? Girls can pay for the date, but the guy should man up and always offer to pay.

Personally, I have no job, no girl, and no resturant to go to. But even if I have to beg my parents for money, I would.

6. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

A gentleman would do it, if the definition of a gentlemen hadn't changed with time.

7. Haiena.Koinu Traverse Town Homebody

((I don't know, uh, well I think anyone can do whatever! I mean your not a puppet are you.. >_> you have your own feelings and mind and you can care for your self... Right? Then you can pay or do whatever! Just some feel it shows respects and being a true gentlemen like the good ol' days lol ^^; choose with your own mind))

8. StarkMad Banned

It's common courtesy for the guy to pay, but if the girl says "it's okay, I'll pay" or if the guy doesn't have his wallet, it's not bad for the girl to pay. If it's the guy's birthday, should he pay for his own birthday dinner? xD

9. Princess Luna Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

It is absolutely right for a girl to pay for the date. There is nothing wrong in that.

In a relationship, I think, it should be an equal share. It would not seem right to only have the man pay, despite the fact that it is common courtesy for the man to pay for the lady. These are modern times, and women are no longer dependent on men—they've their own source of income and are almost of equal status as men. It would also be the same common courtesy in the woman's share to pay for the date and not always have her beau pay for her. They both have the equal share in the payments as they are a couple and as a couple, things such as paying for a date is mutual.

However, it is slightly different when it comes to dating outside of a relationship. It would be expected for the man to pay for the date if he was the one doing the asking; vice versa for women, of course. Women ask men out for dates as often as men ask women, and at the end of the day, it would fall on their Guess and Gucci wallets to pay for their time spent together. It again comes back to common courtesy to pay for the date, if YOU—male or female—are the one arranging it...it only seems right.

As a last regard, first impressions are always important to ladies, so it is essential for men to be a gentleman and pay for the first date, at least, regardless of who did the asking...Ladies LOVE a gentleman. Yes, it does seem a little hypocritic, but if you want to win the lady's heart, you will do this.

10. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I wouldn't exactly say it can be the most romantic thing, but its nothing bad compared to some of the number of other of terrible things a guy can do on a date.
    I think I would put a type of unwritten rule that the person to pay, should be the person who proposed the date in the first place, that seems fair to me since it can tell you alot about the other person as well.

11. bobo.the.nut Traverse Town Homebody

^This
    In today's society I really don't think it matters who pays, because men and women are basically on an equal standing. It is traditional for the man to pay, but he doesn't have to, and it's not impolite or outlandish for the girl to pay her own way or all the way. If you're worried, just discuss who should pay with the other person.