Is it right for a Girl to pay for the date?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Rissy, May 22, 2009.

1. Brisk Banned

Haha, no way. If I had to pay for my girlfriend every time we went out it would be hell. Plus her parents are loaded, and they give her money all the time anyway! I try and pay as much as I can but my girlfriend and I aren't going to miss out on a good time just because I don't have my wallet with me or something.

2. Mathias Jay beauty is in everything

I think the guy should pay, just to be a gentlemen. That's just what I think, though.

3. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I think the guy should pay more often than the girl, but if the guy pays for everything, then it just feels like he's buying you.

4. Tikem Gummi Ship Junkie

Well, I think that a true gentleman would pay unless the girl really wants to.

5. Repliku Chaser

The reason it was more traditional for a guy to pay for a girl to go somewhere in the first place is because men had control of finances the majority of the time, could work outside of the home and were able to wander about etc. Women were raised to be supporters of homes, and quite a few women never went on dates as their marriages were arranged for them. Just because something is traditional, doesn't always mean it was a great thing. Some girls though are not so well off though or may have more traditional views from being raised that way and feel it is a guy's responsibility. For these types of girls.. you're going to figure it out easy enough because they do not tend to offer and figure you will pay automatically... you should pay.

Today, money is spread out differently and men and women both work outside of the home, both can bring home the bacon for themselves and both can also be supported by the other or parents. I also feel relationships themselves are more equal and women can stand up for themselves much more than they used to be able to. As this is the case, though I always, for a date or just hanging out with friends, try to have money on me, if someone else wants to pay for a meal, I generally am cool with it since I also am willing to pay for the meals etc. In the end though, some girls are more 'traditional' in thought so they expect men to pay all the time, but some women really can take it as an insult because times have changed, if you aren't willing to let them ever cover for stuff. It is a way for these girls to show that they are doing something nice and care, so I'm not feeling I should shove that in their faces by any means.

So, in the end, it depends on the type of girl you are with. If she brings it up and such, let the girl pay because she doesn't mind and wants to show she cares and that she can do it in the first place. She wants it to be known also that she can and will do things herself to have a good time and that you are a worthy person to spend money on. Just be smart, since it's hard to know if you are going with a girl that is more traditional or not, and if you are going with a more 'modern' girl, still make sure she's not -always- paying. xD

6. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

Define date. A date could be taking someone to dinner, in which case I think the money should be split up 70/30 or even 80/20 (guy pays 70-80, girl pays 30-20) but a date could also be going to the movies or taking a walk...

With the movies thing, its not ungentleman-like (made up my own word, lol) to not pay for her tickets/popcorn it just happens that lots of people buy their own stuff...

7. Dark Link Banned

well said...
    But in my opinion I like to pay for my gf, I always felt the need to do so, because I was raised that way and plus it makes me feel better If I pay. Back in old days it was always the guy is the supporter and the girl was the nurturer of the family. My dad is the Fanacial supporter in the family and is very good at it.

8. The Twin My, what a strange duet

From the girl's point of view in this case, I refuse to let my current squeeze pay completely for the dates we take. I always always always offer to pay at least half, because I hate feeling like he's trying to spoiil me or something. I'm no ****, and don't want to look like a **** by having him shell out hard-earned cash on unnecessary stuff.

9. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

Adding to what I said earlier, I also kind of feel like if they guy pays for everything, he's like, trying to buy me -_- And then I also feel like I owe him or something; I do not like owing people.

10. Repliku Chaser

Yeah, I've listened to girls explain that to me, about how they feel if a guy pays for them, they are buying them. It also can lead some guys to feel that because they are paying for everything, the girl owes them, or girls feel that guys feel that way. Because I think that both sides should be taken into consideration, I'm willing to share the responsibility of paying or let the girl pay for me at times, because in a relationship really, it's about both people's feelings. It's a give and take thing and I can see why to give but also take now and then, because it helps bring some balance. As said before, if a girl actually offers to pay and is serious, I will go with it. If she doesn't, I assume I'm paying with no problem.

Also, I know of guys that gripe constantly about how a girl is taking them for their money, and I know for a fact some of those girls don't want to look that way but the guy is insistent on being 'the man'. Assumptions are dangerous things. So are expectations. By sharing the responsibility, I think it takes weight off the guy and girl in a relationship and when angered, they aren't going to fire off as part of their argument that they feel used.

11. Misty gimme kiss

I actually looked this up in Emily Post for you guys, haha.

She says that if the guy asks the girl out, the guy pays, and if the girl asks the guy out, the girl pays. One or the other can indeed be polite and offer to pay, but it is not required.

12. Asterisk NO WONT LET YOU

Yeah I find it perfectly fine, gender really has nothing to do with it. Depends on who is taking who to where, really.

Just my opinion though.

13. ArchVice Gummi Ship Junkie

I think the guy should pay. A true gentlemen would pay the tab if he takes a girl out on a date. My last gilfriend however, refused to let me pay and we went Dutch for the first three dates. After that, she started letting me pay.A man should always carry some extra money to pay and make sure that the girl is willing to allow it. As some girls have a lot of pride and all...

14. Nanaki Broken in six places

I think it's fair for a girl to pay some of the time, and the guy to pay some of the time. I'm open minded about things, and relationships work best on a fair and understanding level, right? That's my opinion...the opinion of someone who's never done anything of the sort, actually. XDD

15. Kites Chaser

I think whoever invited their date should be the one to pay. And if it's expensive they should pay together.

16. Cleopatra King's Apprentice

Yes its legal. Guys don't have to pay for everything. I mean like its with tradition that the guy never fails to pay at least half of the bill, but the girl can pay too, not like she doesn't own any money >|

Tradition only applies to me if the guy insists on paying all of bill. If not, then I would gladly pay half. Movie tickets and cheap things can be paid together, no reason for the guy only paying for it.

^^That's really-well said :'D

In my view, just because it should be doesn't exactly have to be. It all depends on the situation I guess.

17. In explicit Angst Gummi Ship Junkie

Well I think the guy should pay or then they'd both pay.

18. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

As long as the guy isn't scrougin' off the lass - or vice versa - it doesn't really matter. They should share the load. EQUALITY PEOPLE!

19. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

I think it's fine for both to pay. In a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, I believe it should be balanced. If you notice your significant other has been paying a lot lately, offer to pay, and if he/she never pays, maybe gently ask him/her if he/she would once in a while. I don't think girls should expect the guy to pay all the time, because that's just kind of greedy. Yeah, some might consider it chivalrous, but that must suck for the guy, don't you think?

20. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

well, i think they should equally pay the bill, if that does not count, i think its right, i mean i would not want to pay for some women wolfin down food