Is Eureka Seven a comedy?

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Gamefreak103, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Gamefreak103 A Freak of Games

Been away from anime for a little while and decided to check out Eureka Seven on a whim.
    Can't really say I like it, but it is making me laugh at it. Is that normal?

2. 61 No. B

3. Hayabusa Venomous

Basically this. Unlike a majority of popular western animation, anime commonly mixes genres: while you can't call, say, Cowboy Bebop a comedy, it has comedic moments and episodes. To me, this helps tell a story better, because it displays more of the world and the characters who inhabit it.

4. Gamefreak103 A Freak of Games

Compared to other shows I've seen, Eureka is hilariously messy.
    That's what I found funny...

5. Hayabusa Venomous

Ok

6. Gamefreak103 A Freak of Games

...that avatar...I approve...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 61 No. B

I'm just gonna throw this out there right here and now: the good western cartoons, the animated series, are this way. The only problem is that the west has a disproportionate amount of pure **** cartoons compared to the east, because for some reason the west still hasn't fully accepted the validity of animation as a medium. We desperately need more Bruce Timms and John Lasseters. So when these anime kids get all combative over their cartoons, I will try to politely point out that the west has produced shows that either rival or surpass their favorite **** anime, it just takes a little more looking to find them than with anime, and that unfortunately the west has yet to fully embrace animation.

I know this isn't exactly where you were going and you weren't trying to start this debate, but this issue's been on my mind recently. It's also important to remember that the cultures come from two entirely different schools or thought concerning entertainment, particularly cartoons and comics, marketing these things, and their serialization. This "Avatar is American anime" needs to stop right ****ing now because no, it's not. It's a western cartoon drawing from the eastern style of producing cartoons, in the same way that Cowboy Bebop is influenced by western methods and sensibilities. And this whole comics vs manga rage debate also needs to stop because they're the same damn thing. They only reason they are so drastically different in practice is because of the way the two industries evolved in their respective regions. You would think that with the explosion of comicbook movies in the early 2000's, and the overwhelming onslaught later in the decade and now, that comics would have been brought to the forefront of western entertainment. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case because we're still in a place of not fully embracing comics like we did in the 40's due to the industries implosion in the 80's, which has caused it to become more of a niche thing which I'm not sure we'll ever escape. Whereas in Japan, comics are just everywhere. It's saddening that the west hasn't realized the literary value of comics, and that Japan's popular comics often have such little value. I've very rarely felt the intellectual stimulation in reading manga that I've felt when reading stories of major comicbook characters with comparative popularity to equivalent media in Japan. Style over substance will always have a place, it's just unfortunate that it's so prevalent when it doesn't have to be.

so... yeah. what's the topic, again?

favorite op character wat up

8. Gamefreak103 A Freak of Games

Me pointing out that Eureka Seven is hilarious?
    Hey no complaints here, he was awesome.
    Can't wait for his return in another 400 or so chapters.

9. Hayabusa Venomous

I'm right here with you in everything you've said. It infuriates me when people try to label Avatar and Korra as anime...they don't even understand the term. They just like the convenience of a label: the truth is that "anime" and "manga" only exist as terms because they were used for things from Japan, and thus should strictly be that way, in my beliefs at least. They aren't determinants of quality (or lack of, as some opponents of anime like to try yelling.) It's ridiculous that where something comes from (or even LOOKS LIKE it came from, in the case of Avatar and Korra) are what people consider before the actual substance of that work.

AND OF COURSE I FUCk UP A SPOILER AGAIN

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  10. Gamefreak103 A Freak of Games

You had me confused there for a sec. Couldn't follow you.
    Oh don't mind me please continue, this is starting to get to the good part.
    [​IMG]

11. 61 No. B

Precisely. This is why it aggravates me to see people completely buy into one of the cultures, then write off the other as worthless or inferior. There's so much to be appreciated in both and studying the differences is immensely fascinating. I'm in no way saying that you can't prefer one over the other or something, but if you consider yourself a "geek" or whatever term you subscribe to, you owe it to yourself to explore other geek cultures and see if there's anything you latch on to. It goes without saying that I prefer the west, but I would never say something like "anime is bad and I don't like it because of the way it looks" or condemn something as silly simply because it's not what I'm used to (especially if I never bothered to try and find something in it to appreciate), when they're effectively the same in different contexts.

if only
    Though I wouldn't be surprised considering CP9's popularity. And I'm convinced that all of the mini-arcs on the cover pages of chapters are of characters who will reappear in the future.
    Kaku's such a cool guy and so different from the typical OP antag.

12. Gamefreak103 A Freak of Games

That's why I brought up the insane number of chapters, things that happen hundreds of chapters in the past tend to come back out of nowhere especially characters from the cover stories. Hatchan's cover story eventually led to his reappearance and it also brought Keimi and Pappug into the main story. Heck we all know Jimbe will return even though he is currently in his own cover story. Same thing happened with Ace when he was introduced, he got his own cover story and he returned because he was important to the overall plot of the series.

Gotta stop there or I'll be stuck in One Piece fanboy mode for the rest of the night...

13. 61 No. B

i live there

14. Gamefreak103 A Freak of Games

Lived there for years, not a very healthy thing to do. X_X
    It's like over obsessing over a certain video game series which is more convoluted then it ought a be for what it is. ;D

15. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

The bias is real.

16. 61 No. B

100%

17. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

18. Gamefreak103 A Freak of Games

I think I get the joke now, the entire first season of Eureka Seven is a waste of time while the plot takes place in the second season.
    This show is genius! That or the show's plot was poorly laid out...

19. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

I'd say it's the same as the difference between JRPGs and WRPGs. While the J stands for "Japanese" and the W "Western," it's pretty clear that's just a cosmetic difference. Just look at Dark Souls. That was made in Japan, but that's all it has in common with JRPGs. It very clearly follows the Western RPG model and should be considered as such. I'd say the same thing applies to the anime/cartoon divide. Avatar uses a lot of the story telling techniques, visual styles, and general pacing structures as anime, so as far as I'm concerned, it is anime. Similarly, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is clearly more like a cartoon in a lot of the same way that Avatar is like anime, so I consider it a cartoon.

20. Jube Formerly Chuck's

YES
    WE GET IT
    YOU DON'T LIKE THE SHOW
    YOU BEING PASSIVE AGRESSIVE ISN'T IMPRESSING ANYBODY