Inverse Difficulty Curve?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by A Zebra, Feb 3, 2014.

1. A Zebra Chaser

I feel like most KH games have this. As the game goes along, you get REALLY powerful moves, but the enemies tend to not scale along with you. Whether you're spamming reflega, magnega, zero graviga, raging storm, trinity limit, explosion, whatever, Sora, Terra, Aqua Ven and what have you always seem to outpace the game in terms of raw power.
    The only KH games I can think of that don't do this are probably KH1, and also DDD, but DDD just gets its difficulty from poorly thought out enemies. Days' difficulty is so imbalanced I can't really comment on that.
    But meanwhile the games are actually kinda difficult early on, when you only have basic commands, deal low damage, and don't have cure. I've died a few times to early bosses in BBS, but never anything later really

2. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

I get what you're saying, but I feel like in a sense that this inverse difficulty curve is necessary. That feeling of being powerful and pulling off crazy, devastating combos/spells is what makes the KH series so fun, and to get that early on in the game makes zero sense. So, when you make progress in the game it should feel like it, hence why random encounters feel easier later in the game.

DDD made it so that the random encounters were also hard even later in the game, which has it's own charm to it, but also deterred you from using and experimenting with new commands (Zero Gravity in combination with, let's say, Thunder), in favor of the more reliable ones (like, Balloon and Balloonga). And I even found myself usually just skipping over the random encounters later in the game because for me to even survive them meant that I had to attack, dodge roll, attack, dodge roll until they were gone, which got annoying after a while.

3. A Zebra Chaser

DDD wasn't challenging, it was broken

4. Dredica SNES was the best.

I agree that Kingdom Hearts' difficulty was the best in terms of actually feeling like the Heartless actually posed a threat to you, or Sora, even at a higher level. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix' critical mode was difficult throughout the whole game, especially the added on content. I found critical mode to be hardest in terms of bosses, but proud mode on Kingdom Hearts was the most difficult considering the gameplay in general. I'm not sure if either of you have played Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix so I guess just take my word for it until 2.5HD comes out. It is kind of ridiculous how much is fixed in the Final Mix versions of the games, though. You'd think critical mode would be included in the original Kingdom Hearts II, or at least replace proud mode or expert mode. But I also feel as if Sora was overpowered in Kingdom Hearts II because Nomura was trying to use his newly gained superpowers as a means of showing Sora's matured and is becoming fit to be a Keyblade Master eventually, and I think I vaguely remember him saying something about that in an interview. Although I find it kind of game breaking, I can see why Sora would be so much more powerful in the second game, and why Terra, Ven, and Aqua would have that same kind of power. It's just kind of a mess because it seems as if being a Keyblade Master, or having the potential to be one automatically equates to being gamebreakingly overpowered. You'd think the Heartless and Nobodies would have become even stronger enemies for Kingdom Hearts II. Hopefully Kingdom Hearts III is a return to Kingdom Hearts' gameplay. You actually had to plan out all of your battles. Maybe not so much as a return to it but at least have the Heartless and probably Nobodies be much more powerful in Kingdom Hearts III. I found myself dreading encounters with Heartless on Kingdom Hearts because I didn't want to deal with them at all, whilst in Kingdom Hearts II, and the other games that followed, you can sort of just cut through them.
    Also, I feel like Square makes up for this Inverse Difficulty problem through the secret bosses, or at least tries to, which doesn't fix the problem of gameplay at all. If anything, the secret bosses just become more of a headache because you're used to everything else being so much easier than said boss.
    I found Dream Drop Distance's gameplay to be broken in the sense that you could manipulate the Free Motion to a ridiculous extent. Plus for some reason I didn't feel like the BBS mechanic that was added to the gameplay really fit with DDD. It seemed like they intended DDD to be way more of a free-running, Kingdom Hearts II esque game, so implementing the BBS mechanic of the ability deck thing whatever it was called kind of made the gameplay feel awkward a lot of the time.

5. joy9393 Moogle Assistant

I agree that Kingdom Hearts' difficulty was the best in terms of actually feeling like the Heartless actually posed a threat to you, or Sora, even at a higher level. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix' critical mode was difficult throughout the whole game, especially the added on content. I found critical mode to be hardest in terms of bosses, but proud mode on Kingdom Hearts was the most difficult considering the gameplay in general. I'm not sure if either of you have played Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix so I guess just take my word for it until 2.5HD comes out. It is kind of ridiculous how much is fixed in the Final Mix versions of the games, though.

6. Dredica SNES was the best.

Which is one reason why I don't see them as cheap market tactics like DLC or Day 1 anything.