Internet Censorship

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Inasuma, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Kinda surprised no one posted about this. To those who haven't been following or haven't heard about it, there are currently two bills. One is in congress (PROTECT IP) being debated to all hell and the other is in the house (SOPA).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROTECT_IP_Act (Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act)

Some nice commentary:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM

Short version: The bills will grant the United States full censorship power over websites. They'll have the ability to completely block websites on the suspicion they have or are promoting copyrighted material. This means websites like tumblr, youtube and reddit.

Currently, the users are ultimately responsible to not post copyrighted material, this will make the companies themselves responsible.

2. Accalia Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm not sure any of this is real. Reason for this is because no news station has reported on this. The only news we have is speculation, and there are no real sources for the news.

3. adamboy7 Traverse Town Homebody

I myself believe our internet should not be cencered at all. I can barley stand the censorship we already have! (Being stuff thats blocked by our country. However I suppose they have their reasons. Eather way, I still hate it lol) I believe the internet is something that should be free to all users and have no limits at all. If they start cencering the internet, A) I will probably die from an over dose of nerd-rage, B) I doubt it will end well. I would say just about everyone in america has used the internet. If you start limiting all those people, I honestly do not think that well end well in favor of the government. If they actually do pass this bill, who knows how far they will take it and run with it. The way I see it is within the next few years of the bill being pased is this: The only websites you can actually use freely would be underground websites, and that would be the inevedable death of the internet. Then agian, that is only one posibility. I guess it depends on how much you trust your government lol. But to be honest, if this bill should pass, I would probably be one of many people protesting outeside the White House lawn. (That is, if I were remotely close to DC lol. But besides the point.)

4. Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta The Demon Slayer

Wait a minute what? O_O YouTube is gonna get blocked in America?!?!? O_O WTF?!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Anyway, There IS a way that this can be stopped um...Right?

5. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

You're kidding right? You have to be. Of course it's real, you can track the progress of it (somewhere I can't remember).

Anyhow, it's ******ed, though if I am not mistaken, servers outside of the US would not be affected by this. So, all the sites would have to do would be to move their servers outside of the US.

Even if it were to go through, Obama will veto it.
    Even if he didn't there would be an outcry, Anon would definitely participate along with many other extremely talented hackers, and the US government would go under.

I'm not too worried about it, though I do believe the principle plays a big part here. It's simply wrong.

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I highly doubt either of these will be signed, the government cannot control the interwebz. If they think Occupy Wall Street is bad, wait till they see Occupy Internetz. We'll just shut it all down man! Now seriously though, when it comes to stuff like this, Congress is usually scared. They know the people make the choices and a lot of people will be ticked about this. It's just another one of those things where people freak out then it turns out to be nothing . . . hopefully.

7. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I could've sworn we already had a thread on this though I lack the want to look properly.

Anyway, this is just mad. Censorship of the Internet on this level would ruin online businesses, economic income, cultural influence, free information both directly and indirectly.
    It's mad that this was conceived to be a possible law, that people have supportEd it, it makes me think that BIG BROTHER isn't such a far away idea.

Old men, with old ideas, protecting their old assests. Out of touch politicians wouldn't realise what they'd be doing until it's too late concerning censorship. There are better ways to protect from fraud and the such, total elimination is an archaic notion do a modern day problem.

8. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I've just gotten word people, this is no false alarm. Contrary to my previous statement, this is big and it goes to congress this week. They already have a lot of supporters. If you want to do your part to stop it go Here Do your part to keep the internet free.

9. Tyrant Valvatorez Gummi Ship Junkie

I for one am hoping this NEVER passes, I signed up to protest against it, if you want to help please join, it would be great for you guys helping for the cause :-)
    http://americancensorship.org/
    It would mean a lot for all of us if you helped, remember, even one supporter helps :D

10. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I don't know who they think they are. I am pretty sure this won't pass but if it does they will get wrecked by a lot of people. DDoS party.

11. Tyrant Valvatorez Gummi Ship Junkie

If it passes, I'm moving to Canada ఠ_ఠ

12. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

My friend said the same thing. I'm starting now on alerting people about this. I've already alerted several people, hopefully we get enough people to rally together (send in emails, call) and we can put an end to this thing.

13. Tyrant Valvatorez Gummi Ship Junkie

Well, don't forget that website link I posted earlier, that is the official site for protesting against it, even if it does pass, I'm sure we can find some way to protest against it to get it taken down.

14. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

You do know that won't fix much, right?

15. Tyrant Valvatorez Gummi Ship Junkie

Yes....sadly.....but its better than staying "turning into communist America" now doesn't it (well I think so)