Interest check: Worldbuilding Wednesday

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Ars Nova, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

All right, here's the scoop. Every Wednesday, we pick a fictional universe (or plot line) one of our forumers has written. It doesn't have to be original. It doesn't have to be finished, presentable, or even slightly fleshed-out. At worst all it needs is a name, or even just a rough concept. We release what information exists on that universe. Then, throughout the week, our users submit questions about that world: How big is it, what sort of races inhabit it, how advanced is its technology and/or magick, what sort of sovereign powers exist therein... Anything you can imagine. Anything that will give further definition to this world. Our author answers as many as s/he can. Then we reveal the next universe to be explored, and the cycle begins anew. So it's kinda like Question Time for writers! :L

Goals - The Three Esses
    • Access. You could have less than a paragraph of detail on your concept and we'll still take it. Likewise, participating requires little more than an inquisitive mind and a working keyboard. The accessibility factor is crucial in having frequent and consistent activity.
    • Progress. Ideally you will enter with a fragment of an idea and leave with something solid and substantial. Not to mention, having a dialogue or Q&A with someone about your story is a great way to get over writer's block.
    • De-stress. Let's face it, writing is a grueling hobby, full of sleepless nights and self-loathing. The foremost goal of a writing forum should be to alleviate this; this idea aims to do so with something easy, fun, and social, but not at all unproductive.

Full credit to @Fearless for the idea, which I shamelessly stole from her AMA-esque threads of a similar nature.

2. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I am totally on board with this.

So how do we choose which universes to go through? And could it possibly include RP worlds/backstory?

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I'm thinking a mix of polling and small group selection, just to make sure there's always a world on showcase each week. It really depends on how fast and how consistently we can set up a queue. And yes, this would be open to any universe that involves writing. Questions can also be directed towards a story set in that world, if one is provided.

4. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I see, I see.

As I need help figuring it out, can I nominate my KHV fic, Mystery of the Missing Misty? I'm not 100% sure on how I want its world set up, and I think an AMA session would help me out~

5. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Absolutely, just make sure you bring it up again when and if the proper event thread goes up u <u